Best 30-50cc chainsaw under $350 New

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoulas

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello, looking for the best I can do in a 30-50cc chainsaw that is in the sub $350 range give or take a few bucks. Only interested in new. My choices are possibly the Stihl Farm Boss or an MS200/211/250. Possibly Husky and possibly Makita.

Whatever feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Before you make up your mind please read the Ryobi 10532 threads, you will be glad you did. Its re badged redmax sister goes for about the price range you mentioned but the new or re manufactured Ryobi goes for under 150 if you look around. It is not as pretty as some of the other saws but it is a great homeowner saw, parts are cheap and if something happens to it you are only out 150

If you had your heart set on a Dolmar, Stihl, or Husky look at dealer support in your area and the impressions the dealers give you.

Good luck with your purchase and welcome to Arborist Site and the CAD that follows:cry:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=1786222#post1786222

Last edited:
Husky 350 or 450.
I was in your shoes a couple of years ago and looked first at the Stihl ms 250.
45 ccs. 3 hp. $339. Instead, I got a Husky 345. 3 hp. 45 ccs. $289.
I recently bought a brand new Husky 350 50 ccs. 3.2 hp for $269 on ebay.
Virtually the same saw except the 350 has an adjustable oiler that I still haven't adjusted. The new Husky 450 has the same power as the older 350 but is slightly heavier. Sears is selling them for a bit over $300. A very good deal.
Nothing against Stihl but a new 50 cc saw from them is going to take you over budget.
Husqvarna is just more saw for your money for a given power rating.
That has been my observation in the homeowner saw class at least. Depending on what you use it for but for cutting your own firewood, you probably won't want anything that delivers less than 3 hp.

Last edited:
Tractor Supply Company Poulan Pro 330. 54cc 22" bar and $199.00. If you local store does not have one, ask and they will ship one in from another store for you at no additional cost. Numerous threads on these quality saws.

Shindaiwa 488...if you can still find one....there was a new one in the trading post.

:cheers:
Mike

What about the low end Makita's

Like the Makita DCS460

Husky 350 or 450.
Husqvarna is just more saw for your money for a given power rating.
That has been my observation in the homeowner saw class at least.

I would disagree with that when comparing list price to list price.

I don't have all Stihl list prices off hand but a couple that came to my mind (or were close estimations) were.

MS181 (2.0 hp) $200-220 vs 240e (2.0 hp) $250

MS250 (3.0 hp) $320 vs 445 (2.8 hp) $310 or 450 (3.2 hp) $370

MS290 (3.8 hp) $370-380 vs 460 (3.7 hp) $450

I think the 211 (2.2 hp) comes in cheaper than the 435 (2.2 hp) as well.

Now if you're talking refurbs it may be a different story. Same with the out the door price you pay at a dealer - I haven't bought a new Sthil or Husky for a while so I don't know how much most dealers are willing to haggle. But when looking at rated hp per dollar the Stihls seem to give you more bang for your buck.

I don't have all Stihl list prices off hand but a couple that came to my mind (or were close estimations) were.

Now if you're talking refurbs it may be a different story. Same with the out the door price you pay at a dealer - I haven't bought a new Sthil or Husky for a while so I don't know how much most dealers are willing to haggle. But when looking at rated hp per dollar the Stihls seem to give you more bang for your buck.

Problem is that finding a Stihl dealer willing to sell below MSRP is almost impossible, and Sears is now discounting new Husqvarna Homeowners saws direct from the factory with no shipping. In addition, online coupons are also available for Sears. Just Google "Sears Coupons" to get them.

Not a fair comparison, but thats the way it is now.

Another vote for what 2manytoys4me said. Under $350 and you are in business. Always good to have an extra saw in case you get pinched. I never go to the woods without 2 saws especially if working tops. It is often hard to tell where all the stresses are in a few twisted branches, and "crack" you're stuck.

Note, you may not want to compare Hp values and prices either as they rate them different between Stihl and most other brands. Probably better to look at cc's and who wants what for similar size saw.

Hello, looking for the best I can do in a 30-50cc chainsaw that is in the sub $350 range give or take a few bucks. Only interested in new. My choices are possibly the Stihl Farm Boss or an MS200/211/250. Possibly Husky and possibly Makita.

Whatever feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dolmar PS 510. Or Makita Best saw for the money. IMO

If you don't mind the plastic-y look, the little rebadged as a Ryobi Redmax gets my vote. Brand new, pro style saw $135 shipped! As Brad says, the b/c leaves a little to be desired but other than that, you can't beat it for the price.

Back