Best 50cc saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whatever dude. You're the one that posted all the misinfomation. Now you want to cover your butt with all these pathetic empty cat strikes. And your math is still wrong. $40 is 10% more than $400, not 11%. BTW, I do pay taxes on any saw I buy locally. Besides, what does that have to do with anything?

I'm done with you. Keep covering your butt.

:agree2:

I am glad I ordered my new 346xp before I read all this and watched these vidios because after this I would be so confussed I would jusy say to heck with it and go buy a wild thing. These saws are all so close I would run them all and buy the one that feels the best. No two people are the same and no two saws feel the same.

You got it right, and the 346xp surely will feel the best to most that isn't just bucking firewood or cutting cookies.

As always these POS threads have more BS in them than a bull's intestinal tract. I see nothing new here at all. The FACTS have been given many, many times before. The 261 and 346 NE or OE are both stronger than the 5100, end of story. This is fact not hearsay. Same thing with the 261 vs the 346, the 261 IS stronger than the 346. With that all said, run what you like and stop making useless threads like this, they all cut wood.

Although some may be pushing an agenda with their favorite brand, it seems like many are just expressing their opinions on the subject. You may or may not consider them valid. Defining the "best saw" by how fast they cut cookies in your backyard might be one measure of best. For others, maybe it is not. Considering the minor differences in these saws, and the number of variables involved, your use of the terms "FACTS" or "stronger" seem fairly subjective.

IMO (just an opinion), the performance differences between the 346NE and 5100 are very, very minor. To me, the 5100 has a very slight torque advantage to the 346NE, in my case both with 20" bars and 3/8 chain. The 346OE, while it cuts like a light saber, bogs quicker when buried than the other two. This is not surprising since it has 5cc's less displacement. In my opinion, the OE is not quite as good as an all around saw, however as a limbing saw I think it has no peer.

As I stated, I cannot speak to the 261 (yet:silly:).

While it is tiring to hear the cheerleaders with their favorite brands drone on relentlessly regardless of the topic, I just overlook those posts and try to learn what I can from the rest.

If you read my post I never said which saw is better, that's up to the individual. However when it comes to power, what I've stated above is fact based on the testing that I and others have done. Some of the people involved are Stihl guys, some are Dolmar guys, and some like myself could care less about brand.

Here's a little something for people that haven't done any real testing, or as much testing as Brad or myself have. You can pickup a saw, lets say a 261, bury the bar in a 20" oak log and it will feel OK, nothing special. Now you grab a 346 and run it in the same log and it just screams right through like nothing. Hell you'd even bet a few bucks that the 346 is faster. Now we go check out the vid, and WTF, the 261 is over 2 seconds faster.

My point. Perception plays an enormous roll when it comes to how strong, or how fast a saw really is. You simply can not say or think this saws is stronger than that saw, within reason. If you do, you'll be proven wrong more times than not.

Last edited:
I am glad I ordered my new 346xp before I read all this and watched these vidios because after this I would be so confussed I would jusy say to heck with it and go buy a wild thing. These saws are all so close I would run them all and buy the one that feels the best. No two people are the same and no two saws feel the same.

Most on here are computer chair sawyers, right now with the cold and snow myself included. More complete BS in these threads than ever, and when you give them some real info they don't like it and get all pissed off.

sachsmo I can get a 261 for $500.00 with tax and the 346 for $440 like Brad. Hell I paid $630.00 with tax for my 362. Having real dealers that give a fair price means a lot.

Most on here are computer chair sawyers, right now with the cold and snow myself included. More complete BS in these threads than ever, and when you give them some real info they don't like it and get all pissed off.

sachsmo I can get a 261 for $500.00 with tax and the 346 for $440 like Brad. Hell I paid $630.00 with tax for my 362. Having real dealers that give a fair price means a lot.

the ms260 up here is almost 650 bucks. the 346 os 780 bucks plus tax:sick:

JAFO here,but it seems too me some posters have oversized opinions of themselfs.
50cc saws are not fast in big wood period.80cc saws are not needed in small wood and some people would be just fine with a wilthing and a wood shark for backup.

JAFO here,but it seems too me some posters have oversized opinions of themselfs.
50cc saws are not fast in big wood period.80cc saws are not needed in small wood and some people would be just fine with a wilthing and a wood shark for backup.

I kinda agree with you. But I think everyone just has an opinion here. Thats the way it should be. But some just always think their opinion is always right. Thats just not cool. Everyone is going to have an opinion, but some need to realize that thier opinion is just an opinion and not always a fact. I'm not pointing this at anyone in particular, just saying. :smile-big:

That true in most cases. However, when a 50cc MS261 can outperform most 70cc saws in 20" bar sized wood, that's something to get excited about IMHO.

In this vid, the 261 is from 0:51-2:41. There are clips of various 60-70cc saws as well for comparison.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1qBkn0QQTOE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kyh-CU13Woc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

If you read my post I never said which saw is better, that's up to the individual. However when it comes to power, what I've stated above is fact based on the testing that I and others have done. Some of the people involved are Stihl guys, some are Dolmar guys, and some like myself could care less about brand.

Here's a little something for people that haven't done any real testing, or as much testing as Brad or myself have. You can pickup a saw, lets say a 261, bury the bar in a 20" oak log and it will feel OK, nothing special. Now you grab a 346 and run it in the same log and it just screams right through like nothing. Hell you'd even bet a few bucks that the 346 is faster. Now we go check out the vid, and WTF, the 261 is over 2 seconds faster.

My point. Perception plays an enormous roll when it comes to how strong, or how fast a saw really is. You simply can not say or think this saws is stronger than that saw, within reason. If you do, you'll be proven wrong more times than not.

Frikin well put....Id give rep but im all out....I never really thought of it like that but after reading it...makes like 10 cords worth of sense.

Excellent post Andre. The best saw is the one that feels best in the buyers hands. I call a saw for what it is, reguardless of the brand. You only see one Husky in my sig now. It's there because is was stronger than anything anyone else had to offer until the 261 came out. The 261 is right there with it, and maybe stronger with a long bar. But the 346 is too fine to get rid of. BTW, I leave a 16" on the 346 and a 20" on the 261. It just handles it so well.

Last edited:
Basically, it doesn't matter what they cost - Just get the "best" one! :crazy1:

True, I'm with you. If I want something, can afford it, I buy it. Price rarely gets in my way if I want it bad enough. That cat talking 600.00 for a 261 is FOS though. I'll be selling them all day long for alittle over 500.00. A 18in lists for 569.95, not 600.00 and on pro saws rarely is th list price the sell price...

Maybe these will help the OP a little. Here are stock and muffler modded vids of a 346 and 261. The wood is a 10"-11" Oak cant.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gIpiD-jjvuc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7xrZHmCZbcI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Brad just tell it like he feels it is, even when he knows it won'
t be popular with everyone - nothing wrong with that!:wink:

The early 5105s had a 14500 rpm limiter and no cat as I recall it - the newer US ones have a 13800 rpm limiter.
Nothing wrong with being honest!

To bad we have some people with sand in their vag.......

Latest posts

Back