BEST 60cc saw ever built !!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pro mac 60 or a 036 with a pop up , just my experience, good luck finding a Pro Mac 60 though ,unless you do grave robbery because I'm pretty sure that the POs were buried with the danm things.
Fine saws in their day , like most of the older quality saws 357 xp etc . hard to find today unfortunately . ;)

The Timberwolf is a proven firewood provider @ a very nice price point . Open up the exhaust to let it breathe and retune accordingly , very stout performer !
I wish I would've gotten a Timberwolf 4 years ago instead of the POS Dolmar 6100 that I currently have. I was in between the two then and was talked out of it by the dealership who sold both Echo and Dolmar at that time. I have Husky bars and chains right now so the Husky makes sense even at the price increase but truthfully I haven't heard a bad thing about a Timberwolf. I've seen them up against other saws also and they performed great.

I wish I would've gotten a Timberwolf 4 years ago instead of the POS Dolmar 6100 that I currently have. I was in between the two then and was talked out of it by the dealership who sold both Echo and Dolmar at that time. I have Husky bars and chains right now so the Husky makes sense even at the price increase but truthfully I haven't heard a bad thing about a Timberwolf. I've seen them up against other saws also and they performed great.

what is wrong with your Dolmar 6100? Mine is better than my buddies 590 Timberwolf in bucking and noodling and 100x’s better in filtration.

Yep , the CS-590 & CS-400 have to be 2 of the best saws produced for the $ remove the limitors & muffler mod , retune and you have a very capable saw within its class ! ;)

Sorry to hear about that. Generally hear good things about the 6100. I ran another 1-1/2 tanks through the Timberwolf and it didn't miss a beat. But the only reason I would buy it over the Husqvarna 555, 562 would be budget. I would encourage you to go handle both saws. Hell, If you weren't 4 hours away, you could come run mine.

Yep , the CS-590 & CS-400 have to be 2 of the best saws produced for the $ remove the limitors & muffler mod , retune and you have a very capable saw within its class ! ;)
There's this kid landscaper near me that dumped a load of wood at my house. It was a pretty big maple. Like 28 to 30 inch. It was about 6 loads at least. I was amazed to see that his saw is a CS400 with an 18 inch bar. LOL. He's a go getter and isn't afraid to take on jobs

what is wrong with your Dolmar 6100? Mine is better than my buddies 590 Timberwolf in bucking and noodling and 100x’s better in filtration.
Everything!! I bought it new and it never tuned in well from the beginning. Back and forth to the shop several times. ( I'm not real good at tuning saws that are running like s#it when new) Like 4rth time it was back at the shop, the dealer finally replaced the carb and boot and WA LUH!! It was running good. Well fast forward after a long work stint out of town then a pretty bad back injury, I figure I'm gonna get back at the firewood heating and I take out my very low hour Dolmar 6100 and the oiler isn't working. Freaking bar was smoking hot. It's in the shed right now. Probably not gonna deal with it and just go get a good saw.

And I've had good luck with Dolmar Makita. My 7900 hasn't skipped a beat since new aside from the oiler holes on the bar being painted closed when saw was new. I have the 4300 and I run one of those 20 inch budget bars that Left Coast was selling years ago and that saw over performs all expectations.

Best 60cc saw for the common man was prob the Stihl 290 Farmboss or Husqvarna 455 Rancher, decent saws for the homeowners.
Now the 041 Farmboss was my first Stihl, still have it, awesome saw, starts up fine and sounds great, but i never use it anymore
My Uncle had a Pro Mac 10-10 s that was a great saw back then
Raw brute power my Made in West Germany Stihl 034 Super is a beast for its size but obvously outdated now and turned into the 036, 360 over the years
Really like the Husqvarna 365 Special 65cc, solid saw with many of the features of the 262/372
As with others i just run a light50cc (550xp v1) and jump to barely heavier than a 60cc saw, my 70cc (Stihl 044) and skip the 60cc now, never liked the 362 or 361 but to each his or her own

Can’t believe this thread is still going! Guess I might as well post an update, the ms361 is still the prince of saws and king of the 60cc class! :p Seriously though, 15 years, countless chains, 3 bars, and a couple sprockets and still going strong!!! Not a single issue, still starts and runs like new, and still puts a smile on my face!! Maybe not the best performer but close and how many saws can boast a record like that?
I'm biased but the 60cc saw is very popular versatile size. Some timber guys use them. A lot of firewood guys use them. It seems like the power/weight/price is just about the right combo for a broad range of uses.
One thing we have to remember is that this is a collectors site. Some people take offense when someone mentions a different brand, style, or even oil mix ratio for that matter. If all of the saws handled, cut, performed the same, what would we have to talk about?

Okay, I have asked before, and Never gotten an answer, at 66.7cc, is the Husqvarna 266XP considered a 60 class saw, or an Honorary “70 Lite”?

I guess that for This thread it is 2.7cc too large, but having had my 266XP “Ol Reliable” for almost 30 years, it would be the Last saw that I sold ( I have heard Rumors, that people actually SELL their saws, but I just can’t Believe it)
For over 25 years Ol Reliable and a “23 Compact” Top Handle I added a year or two later for light work, were my “2 Saw Plan”.
Then in 2016 we bought this home with a wood stove, and where we cut we started getting into a lot of 30”+ wood, so I added the 3120XP, I seriously looked at the 395XP, but Dave’s price on NIB 3120XP’s was just too close, I ended up with TWO 395XP’s anyway.

A look at my Sig Line will show you how AS has Corrupted Me

so enough subject drift, is the 266XP a 60cc Class saw, or a “Lite” 70cc Class saw????

Doug

Pro mac 60 or a 036 with a pop up , just my experience, good luck finding a Pro Mac 60 though ,unless you do grave robbery because I'm pretty sure that the POs were buried with the danm things.

What were the differences between the Pro Mac 60, and the Super Pro 60???

Growing up, my Dad had an SP 60, that is the saw that I learned to cut with.

Unfortunately, quite a few years ago, Dad traded that saw to a Friend, for some boat parts. Mark passed away many years ago, and Bonnie has since remarried, and I have lost touch with her, I still have a small HOPE of catching up with her some day, and that Dad’s old SP 60 is sitting in a forgotten corner of their garage.

I doubt that I will ever track that saw down, I still have Dad, but he is 82, so who knows for how much longer, I would Love to bring that old Mac home, and haven’t given up on that yet

acresinternet shows the PM 60 as produced from 1972-1976, and the SP 60 from 1972-1977, so they were produced essentially concurrently with each other

Dad’s saw was probably one of the earliest models, it didn’t have the chain break, and had the yellow top, not the black top

Thanks for any info you (or anyone else) might have about those models

Doug

What were the differences between the Pro Mac 60, and the Super Pro 60???

Growing up, my Dad had an SP 60, that is the saw that I learned to cut with.

Unfortunately, quite a few years ago, Dad traded that saw to a Friend, for some boat parts. Mark passed away many years ago, and Bonnie has since remarried, and I have lost touch with her, I still have a small HOPE of catching up with her some day, and that Dad’s old SP 60 is sitting in a forgotten corner of their garage.

I doubt that I will ever track that saw down, I still have Dad, but he is 82, so who knows for how much longer, I would Love to bring that old Mac home, and haven’t given up on that yet

acresinternet shows the PM 60 as produced from 1972-1976, and the SP 60 from 1972-1977, so they were produced essentially concurrently with each other

Dad’s saw was probably one of the earliest models, it didn’t have the chain break, and had the yellow top, not the black top

Thanks for any info you (or anyone else) might have about those models

Doug
The Super Pro 60 was a pro ssw with the anti vibe mounts . The regular pro mac 60 was a magnesium saw (like the 10-10 ) .

Okay, I have asked before, and Never gotten an answer, at 66.7cc, is the Husqvarna 266XP considered a 60 class saw, or an Honorary “70 Lite”?

I guess that for This thread it is 2.7cc too large, but having had my 266XP “Ol Reliable” for almost 30 years, it would be the Last saw that I sold ( I have heard Rumors, that people actually SELL their saws, but I just can’t Believe it)
For over 25 years Ol Reliable and a “23 Compact” Top Handle I added a year or two later for light work, were my “2 Saw Plan”.
Then in 2016 we bought this home with a wood stove, and where we cut we started getting into a lot of 30”+ wood, so I added the 3120XP, I seriously looked at the 395XP, but Dave’s price on NIB 3120XP’s was just too close, I ended up with TWO 395XP’s anyway.

A look at my Sig Line will show you how AS has Corrupted Me

so enough subject drift, is the 266XP a 60cc Class saw, or a “Lite” 70cc Class saw????

Doug
I consider the 266 xp a 70 cc saw and it cuts like a 70 + lol.

I consider the 266 xp a 70 cc saw and it cuts like a 70 + lol.

My 266XP “Ol Reliable” was my first quality saw, and made a Husky Believer out of me

I have been working Insane hours since Late April, Very many near my 70 hour Legal limit, and with my travel time (which is paid) going over 80 hours a week, I have been able to “ Treat the Symptoms “ of CAD, but I haven’t had much time to use my new “Treatments “

I have run the 346XP(OE) and 372XP (XT model) a little, the 562XP has had a little run time as well, but I haven’t made time to put on the full wrap handle and larger Dawgs yet, the 372XPW(OE 75cc version) was test run when I bought it, but still hasn’t added anything to the BTU pile yet, and the newest 395XP, the Tanks are still DRY, and it hasn’t even had a B&C mounted yet, never mind added anything to the BTU pile

My old dedicated account closed in April, and I have been a “Pool Driver”, which was a Large raise, and Helped treat my CAD, I just trained on a new account Monday and Tuesday, that pays almost what driving the pool pays, so I may have found a new dedicated account, but it is a very physically demanding job that, at 55, I’m not sure that I can do it for many years, I would like to find an account to stick with until retirement.
Hopefully, this new account, or another will get me back to a more predictable and consistent schedule that will allow me to use the practical Toys, all that OT has provided

The little I have gotten to run the 372XP, it felt Good and I was Plenty Happy with it, but the 266XP didn’t suffer any in comparison

Doug

My 266XP “Ol Reliable” was my first quality saw, and made a Husky Believer out of me

I have been working Insane hours since Late April, Very many near my 70 hour Legal limit, and with my travel time (which is paid) going over 80 hours a week, I have been able to “ Treat the Symptoms “ of CAD, but I haven’t had much time to use my new “Treatments “

I have run the 346XP(OE) and 372XP (XT model) a little, the 562XP has had a little run time as well, but I haven’t made time to put on the full wrap handle and larger Dawgs yet, the 372XPW(OE 75cc version) was test run when I bought it, but still hasn’t added anything to the BTU pile yet, and the newest 395XP, the Tanks are still DRY, and it hasn’t even had a B&C mounted yet, never mind added anything to the BTU pile

My old dedicated account closed in April, and I have been a “Pool Driver”, which was a Large raise, and Helped treat my CAD, I just trained on a new account Monday and Tuesday, that pays almost what driving the pool pays, so I may have found a new dedicated account, but it is a very physically demanding job that, at 55, I’m not sure that I can do it for many years, I would like to find an account to stick with until retirement.
Hopefully, this new account, or another will get me back to a more predictable and consistent schedule that will allow me to use the practical Toys, all that OT has provided

The little I have gotten to run the 372XP, it felt Good and I was Plenty Happy with it, but the 266XP didn’t suffer any in comparison

Doug
I left the pool and took over a dedicated run this spring. 2 round trips a week from N. Michigan to Toronto. It pays well, I'm home 5 days a week and the only labor involved is cutting the seal and opening the doors. Down side is it's an evening run and anyone that's spent anytime in Michigan or Ontario knows how ugly traveling can be here in the winter months.

Latest posts

Back