Best Bang for my buck on limbing saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomad_archer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi everyone I a m new around here. I looking to see what is the best bang for my buck when it comes to a new or used limbing saw with a 12 or 14" bar. I have local dealers for stihl and echo and a little bit of a trip and I have a husky dealer so I am thinking something from those three would be in order. I would be using the saw for limbing and bucking the smaller stuff. I currently have a MS 271 with a 20" bar and have been cutting 8-12 cords of wood a year for firewood. I would like to keep the budget around $200 or less on new or used but I have some flexibility if I need to spend more.

I have been cutting mostly oak, maple, black walnut, ash, and cherry so far.

Please let me here your recommendations.

Thanks,
Nomad

If you can get a CS400 Echo off Ebay for just over $200 it's the best bang for the buck by far, learn how to tune and muff modd. Refurb Husky 435 are cheap also but not built near as good as the Echo, have too wonder why there so many refurb ones out there. Steve

Welcome Nomad to AS! I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions however with a $200 budget I think you would buy a better product 2nd hand. Maybe a used Ms 260 stihl or husky 346 would be an option. I think echo, dolmar, solo, makita offer better value for money with your budget. If you purchase new $200 will buy you a 'homeowner' grade saw where as if you buy used you may find a tidy 'pro' grade saw. Hope this helps a bit. Good luck and be sure to report back with your choice.

Thanks CR888,

I've looked and my budget will barely get me a new homeowner model so I have figured used would be the way to go for me. The key for me is the ability to put a shorter bar on the saw. 12-14" range. I can run a 16-20" on what I already have.

You didn't ask for the best saw, just the best bang for your buck.... so the lowest buck item that can limb a tree comes to mind.

If you want new I'd say the cheapest tanaka / poulan / craftsman / whatever around 40cc's will do the job... try craigslist or if you are really daring go for one of those chinese clone types that don't even have a known brand name

if you want used the same brands above apply, but you can also usually score a husky, echo, or something better for less than $200. A used poulan wildthing would be great bang / buck.

Now you if you asked for the best quality for your dollar or best saw for full time use or other criteria the "quality brands" Stihl, husky, dolmar, etc might be up your alley :)

You didn't ask for the best saw, just the best bang for your buck.... so the lowest buck item that can limb a tree comes to mind.

If you want new I'd say the cheapest tanaka / poulan / craftsman / whatever around 40cc's will do the job... try craigslist or if you are really daring go for one of those chinese clone types that don't even have a known brand name

if you want used the same brands above apply, but you can also usually score a husky, echo, or something better for less than $200. A used poulan wildthing would be great bang / buck.

Now you if you asked for the best quality for your dollar or best saw for full time use or other criteria the "quality brands" Stihl, husky, dolmar, etc might be up your alley :)

Well then you do have a point there but... I am looking at the husky, echo, stihl type quality. There is a husky 445 in the trading post that has me thinking but I may just wait here and see what comes up. I would like something that would be worth while to take to a dealer to have it serviced when the time comes.

Well then you do have a point there but... I am looking at the husky, echo, stihl type quality. There is a husky 445 in the trading post that has me thinking but I may just wait here and see what comes up. I would like something that would be worth while to take to a dealer to have it serviced when the time comes.

OH, well in that case anything around 40cc-ish in the name brands would be nice :) Something with a working chain brake and AV (so pretty much anything made after mid 90's). I'd say something used but in nice condition, it seems in chainsaws that what it looks like is often (not always) what it is underneath.

I've learned on here that people have different idea of limbing, me not being a logger I like my poulan 2600 for light work, but to a guy that runs a 394xp a 50cc saw is barely adequate as a limber ;)

Anything in the 50cc class or smaller (like your 271) would be considered a limbing saw by many people here.

What do you want to do with this new saw? What about your 271 doesn't meet your needs? Is your goal simply to add a zippy lightweight saw for limbing?

You rarely see a "my 445 sucks" post. Surprisingly good saw. Very light and balances great with a 16", but you could put a 14" on it, but no need really. If your 271 goes down, the 445 will cut firewood pretty well too. Mine just turned 4. It's never needed anything but mix and bar oil (not much of either). I have never considered modding it, and haven't even needed to touch the carb

Anything in the 50cc class or smaller (like your 271) would be considered a limbing saw by many people here.

What do you want to do with this new saw? What about your 271 doesn't meet your needs? Is your goal simply to add a zippy lightweight saw for limbing?

I think you nailed it. I would like a zippy lightweight saw for limbing. Really I just want the short 14" bar for bucking the smaller 4-8" limbs. The 20" bar on the 271 is a little cumbersome and sometimes a little tricky to get into the tighter spots and keeping it out of the dirt. Plus for the cost of a stihl bar few chains I am pretty well on my way to another decent used saw. The wieght of the 271 doesn't really bother me. Plus I have the new used saw bug as well.

There is a redmax 3800 on ebay right now for $235 shipped and you can get a 16" bar on it. They are super well built and respond great with a muff mod. I have a ported GZ4000 that is my main limber and trail saw, it cuts like it's 50cc's or bigger.

Both the 3800 and GZ4000 are split case construction and have really good port and transfer setups, they are a fine saw.

Thanks CR888,

I've looked and my budget will barely get me a new homeowner model so I have figured used would be the way to go for me. The key for me is the ability to put a shorter bar on the saw. 12-14" range. I can run a 16-20" on what I already have.

The best limbin' saw that was ever made in my opinion was the Orange Top 44 Husqvarna. The new "governed " version is the 445. My wife bought one refurbished for $200. I put a 16" bar on it and a chisel chain. I use it sometimes to cut small dead standing oak, which is my primary firewood! Good solid saw!

To be 100% honest, I don't understand the short bar for limbing. Anything shorter than 18" hurts my back worse than the weight of a bigger saw when I am standing up. Anyway just a thought sell your other saw and buy a 346 or 562 and be done with it. CJ

I wouldn't spend 200 on any saw in the same class(50cc) you already have. How about simply getting a 16 inch bar & chain setup for your 271 if the weight of the 271 is no problem for you. That would be a more smart idea.

If on the other hand you want a smaller saw I would seriously think about a 30-max.40cc. Anything else is not a good idea in my eyes.

For a real elcheapo the poulan pro/wildthing 40cc models are an excelent idea. They will cut a lot of wood and make you happy. They can be found cheap new and used. Spare parts are cheap. Muffler mods are simple.

For more quality the Echo line is a excellent recomendation. Then you can add Dolmar=Makita, Efco=Oleo Mac or Red Max.

Echo has the 400 model, Dolmar the PS 32/35 model, Efco the 4400 model and the Stihl 180 model(if you want to stay with Stihl) are all nice saws that will make you happy.

I have a Stihl 180, Efco 3500, Dolmar 420 and Poulan pro 40cc model all in this class. The Dolmar is by far the best build and fastest of the group. The others are more or less equivalent in build quality and cutting speeds.

i use my climbing saw for limbing. If i have a groundman with me that's the saw he'll usually grab too. (i always take three top handles to any job, one for climbing, one for limbing and one by the chipper) the advantage of a top handle is that it can be operated with one hand leaving the other available for "materials handling." i like to use a 12" bar. if that's too little i grab a 70cc or bigger.

here's something close to your budget:

http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?SKW=edtp&catID=11491

good luck

Since we're now spending money, how about a Dolmar 34/35 series

Here's a PS350 14" for less than $200

ebay dolmar 35

search on "dolmar" or "makita dcs" to get an idea for what they are going for.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back