best chain for NE 346 XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL...HolmenTree hasn't cut 2 million trees, either. Don't take him and his BS seriously...none of the rest of us do.

He's kind of like Herpes...he shows up, irritates the hell out of people and then disappears. Then he comes back again and the cycle repeats itself. :welcome: :notrolls2:

:agree2: :agree2:

:yourock: :yourock: :yourock: :yourock:

I'm finishing up a 100 foot reel of Stihl 33RS. Think I'm going to discontinue use of .325 chain.....All my 3 cube saws are fast ,ported screamers. Today, I cut a couple cords of ash and doug fir, mostly with my ehp 5100 running 20" full comp square chisel---3/8th chain. It rocks!

When I first used .325, just a couple years ago, whatever chain I had was definitely slower than what I ended up with, the 33RS......I do like it, but would prefer, for convenience sake, to use .375 on everything, save the 3120.....

Last edited:
:agree2:
I'm finishing up a 100 foot reel of Stihl 33RS. Think I'm going to discontinue use of .325 chain.....All my 3 cube saws are fast ,ported screamers. Today, I cut a couple cords of ash and doug fir, mostly with my ehp 5100 running 20" full comp square chisel---3/8th chain. It rocks!

When I first used .325, just a couple years ago, whatever chain I had was definitely slower than what I ended up with, the 33RS......I do like it, but would prefer, for convenience sake, to use .375 on everything, save the 3120.....

:agree2: :agree2:

I am selling off all my .325 bars and chains. Never could get them to run for sqwat. Compared to 3/8 low profile on the small end, and 3/8 standard on the higher end, I do not see the point of it. If I could get narrow kerf .325 for a Stihl maybe I would consider using it. Otherwise, I just do not see a place for it. Too fat and slow in my experience, causing cuts to meander in the wood.

Go get 'em 2000! :greenchainsaw:

I did switch to 3/8 on all the in use saws a while ago was pleased, certainly far more convenient and cost effective in terms of ordering in bulk. Recently went back to .325x9 on the 036 as it seems to cause far less vibrations on that saw. Plus I got a very good deal on .325 x .063, it was the deal of the year so far. When the .325 is gone I will go back to 3/8 but I will certainly keep looking for .325 bargains. Splitting hairs about vibration but the left elbow is screwed up again so every bit helps.

O.P.- My opinion is stick with .325. That series of saw seems to be well suited to run .325 in terms of power and vibration. As to brand of chain, what ever you can get cost effectively. Most of those saws that I see have a narrow kerf .325 on them.

Last edited:
Go with 3/8, that saw has enough power to pull a 16" 3/8. For chain go with the Stihl RSC, if you have clean wood.

Just ordered some 25RSC, to compare to the 21LP.

I have a 3/8" setup as well, but haven't tried it yet - and is in no hurry to do so......

Narrow-kerf chain doesn't do the saw justise (95VP in my case), at least not with 15/16" bars. If the bar is NK, try 20LP and/or 23RSC.

Last edited:
LOL...HolmenTree hasn't cut 2 million trees, either. Don't take him and his BS seriously...none of the rest of us do.

He's kind of like Herpes...he shows up, irritates the hell out of people and then disappears. Then he comes back again and the cycle repeats itself. :welcome: :notrolls2:

:hmm3grin2orange: :agree2: :agree2:
Yup, that comment was sarcasm.:D I know the fool hasn't cut 2 mill. I believe he is a hair dresser with saws as another hobby.....

2 million trees.:ices_rofl:

Good advice blsnelling , now if 2000 can accept it

I will take advice from Brad way before hearing the turd fall from your mouth. I tried .325 on my 026s, was not that much faster to have 2 different bars, chains, and files. So if I think a stock 026 can pull 16" of 3/8 great and put a smile on my face, I will tell others, who have a more powerful saw, try 3/8. Run what ya want homie, and I know this will be hard, but keep the BS down.

All I can say is WOW !!!! That was a very wild rant :chainsaw: But I did learn something from it . I wanted to try the woodland pro chain at Baileys , it seems so resonable at 8.95-- 9.95 a loop , but I didn't no that the 20nk is a semi-chisel compared to the 20LP being a full chisel. Is there any doubt that the stock bar that came with the saw is a NK ?? I'm pretty sure the stock chain is marked with a 30 which is the husky # H30 same as the oregon 95VP if I got this right . Would woodland pro 20RC BE THE SAME AS 20LP.

.... Is there any doubt that the stock bar that came with the saw is a NK ?? I'm pretty sure the stock chain is marked with a 30 which is the husky # H30 same as the oregon 95VP if I got this right. ...

All evidence points in that direction, a pic of the bar would remove any doubt though........:)

Man I'm away for a few days, busy doing what I do best cutting wood and I miss all this excitement I stirred up here. Old Googelit how you doing you old POS ? Herpes seems to fit you just fine when ever 2 million trees pops up. Here we have a man who says he was once logging, any good faller worth his weight wouldn't call himself a logger. Yeah its a good thing you changed the pic on your sig because that old pic of you slouched over that heavy saw tells me you might hurt yourself. My 85 yr old dad looks alot more fit then your 62. I figure you have worked hourly rate all your "logging days" so why am I bothering with you , Yes I'm proud to say that I have cut over 2 million trees and that really picks you PNWesters azzs doesn't it ?
:hmm3grin2orange:

Man I'm away for a few days, busy doing what I do best cutting wood and I miss all this excitement I stirred up here. Old Googelit how you doing you old POS ? Herpes seems to fit you just fine when ever 2 million trees pops up. Here we have a man who says he was once logging, any good faller worth his weight wouldn't call himself a logger. Yeah its a good thing you changed the pic on your sig because that old pic of you slouched over that heavy saw tells me you might hurt yourself. My 85 yr old dad looks alot more fit then your 62. I figure you have worked hourly rate all your "logging days" so why am I bothering with you , Yes I'm proud to say that I have cut over 2 million trees and that really picks you PNWesters azzs doesn't it ?

A bit testy are we? Yeah, I'm a faller,...and a logger. I fall, I buck, I skid, I load, I haul....it's all part of the same thing They're not mutually exclusive. Well, maybe in your part of the country they are.

You know, a lot of your posts are good. They state facts and they make sense. But claiming to have cut two million trees makes you really lousy at math...or a liar. There's no other word for it. Why keep embarrasing yourself with such a ridiculous claim? Why insult our intelligence? Is your opinion of us that low?

Tell you what...give us the numbers again that prove you've cut two million trees. If you can . And tell us again how big the trees were. We'll accept small trees but rose bushes, crab grass, celery stalks, and bansai trees don't count.:)

Prove to us that you've cut two million trees and I'll apologize for calling you a liar...I'll apologize right here on AS.

Or don't prove it. Just keep claiming it. And we'll all know what you are. Your choice entirely.

You couldn't pack Bob's lunch...

2 million trees my a$$...

Save your **** for the playground. Just another keyboard cwboy... hidin' behind a monitor.

Gary

Me, I have probably felled about 2,000-3,000 trees. Over 5 years. Mostly by hand, and with a tractor and some logging equipment on some jobs.

But 2 million trees? :monkey: Lets do the math...

If that was over a 20 year span, that would be 2 million/20 = 100k trees cut a year. If you worked 6 days a week, and took 12 holidays or sick says off a year other than Sunday, that is 300 days cutting a year. That is not really plausible, given weather and fire conditions, and a constant great economy, but this is just math here. So that would be an average of 333 trees felled a day! You would be hard pressed to fell 333 trees a day with a top of the line mechanical harvester, doing logging style cutting. And again, that would be in ideal conditions being able to cut year round, every week of the year, and 6 days a week. For 20 years straight.

So... what other tall tales you got there? :monkey:

Last edited:
A bit testy are we? Yeah, I'm a faller,...and a logger. I fall, I buck, I skid, I load, I haul....it's all part of the same thing They're not mutually exclusive. Well, maybe in your part of the country they are.

You know, a lot of your posts are good. They state facts and they make sense. But claiming to have cut two million trees makes you really lousy at math...or a liar. There's no other word for it. Why keep embarrasing yourself with such a ridiculous claim? Why insult our intelligence? Is your opinion of us that low?

Tell you what...give us the numbers again that prove you've cut two million trees. If you can . And tell us again how big the trees were. We'll accept small trees but rose bushes, crab grass, celery stalks, and bansai trees don't count.:)

Prove to us that you've cut two million trees and I'll apologize for calling you a liar...I'll apologize right here on AS.

Or don't prove it. Just keep claiming it. And we'll all know what you are. Your choice entirely.

He is good at stirring the pot - and some of you bite every time......:greenchainsaw:

:arg:

I just got 2 LGX chains in the mail yesterday, will try them soon. Oh yea....they're 3/8. Going to use them on the 346xp and 5100. Have to keep them equal!

He is good at stirring the pot - and some of you bite every time......:greenchainsaw:

:arg:

Yep those PNW loggers sure think they are the center of the universe don't they? In my opinion the best loggers in the world are the French Canadiens. When they first came out here in the 1960s all the local loggers called them Crazy Frenchmen because they were Mario Andrettis on the saw and skidders.They changed the standard of production here with their doubling of production over the locals. Here in Manitoba we have probably some of the best logging conditions in the world . Our timber is part of the the Boreal Forest [ the largest conifor forest in the world] .We have lots of lakes[100,000] and moisture but low rainfall,our winters are dry and cold with little snow. Manitoba is bigger then Wash., Oregon ,Calif. put together. Our ground is flat and our timber grows thick with little limbs and we have huge papermills and sawmills that have big appetites.
Now if you want to see my 2 million tree math go back to our previous rants, I'm not going to repeat myself to a bunch of boneheads. Now when I say boneheads I'm referring to the Stihl Nuts. I get a good debate going on Husky/Stihl or Oregon/Stihl and the Stihl Nuts with their Stihl #1 mentality will change the subject by derailing the thread by saying "Oh this is the guy who says he cut 2 million trees so he has to be full of B.S." Then we have a hillbilly comedy fest. GET OVER IT! If you don't believe I cut 2 million then so be it . That is your privilege but don't keep derailing the thread if you can't debate with me. And to Gologit. You remind me of a couple of partners [skidderoperators] I used to work with[very shortly though]. Good comedians, like to flap their gums and B.S.. When the scaler came to our landing he'd have the machine parked for a 1/2 hr by the time I could get him back to work. Can't produce that way. Thats why Gologit couldn't specialize in the falling job because there was no one around to B.S. with and it drove him crazy. By the way our skidder operators owned their own skidders and that really helped keep our production high.

Back