best chain for NE 346 XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL, still talking like a dumb azzed kid eh 2K.
The 346 was designed for the .325, why would you put a wide cutting, heavy 33RSC on it. I used to run Stihl .325 full chisel on my 044[cut like crazy and smooth]. The Oregon 20LP is a good choice of chain for the 346XP with only 50cc.

:agree2: I have had really good results using the 20LP (.325") Oregon chain up to 50cc's. Couldn't tell you how the 346 would handle the 3/8" but the 20LP works very good.

My woodland pro 20 NK chain showed up today from Baileys ,and there's a big difference from the stock oregon chain that came with the saw, you can feel it pulling the saw into the wood , much faster cuts !!!! I love it !!

Alot of you guys have mentioned the 20LP as being a good choice also but the only chain I see at Baileys is the oregon 20 LPX , is this the same chain as 20 LP , the 20 LPX does have a anti kickback bumper drive link . Have they discontinued the LP chain ??

Thanks for the link , sounds like good chain also , is there any problems with it not being NK chain ?? I heard it could wear out the bar faster as its not supported as good as it would on a normal bar ??

Last edited:
I have a 346xpOE and I run a narrow kerf bar and a 20LP chain. Its the best of both worlds, a lighter bar and the fast cutting of the 20LP chain. I put this setup on as a experiment and I like it so good I don't want anything to do with a regular kerf .325 bar. :cheers:

First post here. I usually only read because of the very thing that thread has turned into.

To get back to the subject; There has been extensive testing done with all types of chain, bars lengths and degrees of power. The .325 full comp chisel bit chain is the best chain for the 346xp period, no exceptions, even for a modified saw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdMhlj4xF5w

I actually have done this. I have 2 346s' one stock and one with the NE jug and slug (and ported muffler). As of last month, the 50cc is running a 60 link loop of RSC and I love it. The gas seems to go further too. I have no complaints at all.

:agree2: I have had really good results using the 20LP (.325") Oregon chain up to 50cc's. Couldn't tell you how the 346 would handle the 3/8" but the 20LP works very good.

Yup. My stock 346 is still 16" 20LP and it runs fine. I settled on this after experimenting with several combos up to 20" (which sucked). The RSC and 50cc 346 will rip it a new one though.

Latest posts

Back