Best Chainsaw for Groundwork

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memetic

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just expanded my business to include tree work and need a recommendation for a good saw for ground work. My guys have all the other smaller saws covered (some husqvarnas, and a stihl or two) we just need a saw for decent size trunks and what not.

Thanks

Why not ask the professional that will be using it? when you say you expanded into tree work, you did hire someone who is experienced at it right?

How big is a decent sized trunk? 20" DBH? 60" DBH?

I love the Stihl 660 for most stumps and dropping larger trees. We run a 32" bar so it will cut 50" stumps easily if you come in from both sides and use wedges. Make sure it is sharpened well or you will not match your cuts and you'll have a hell of a time getting the stump off.

Thanks guitarborist. I'll look into that saw.

Industry, I'm not trying to be coky, but suppose I did. It doesn't hurt to get a second, or third, or fourth opinion for free does it? Especially when there are a lot of experts here (i've been reading a lot before posting). Besides, it's not my guys shelling out the dough for the new equipment. Yes, 20-60 is a good approximation, the fact that you guessed it right is the reason I only had to say "decent size". If you got some advice I'd love to read it.

For residential and some commercial I use a 460 with a 24" bar and a 460 with a 30" bar. Between the two I can take care of most anything. The saw matters to a point but it is more about the user and their experience cutting large timber and running large saw in general.

Whichever brand you prefer your gonna want a saw over 90cc for a 60" tree. Sorry if I got a little snide, but when a landscape architect says they expanded into tree work it makes me think of the guys up here who don't have the licenses or insurance(landscape insurance doesn't cover tree work) and don't have experienced guys on their crews. Good luck to you.

Thanks everyone, that should help my research along. At least now I know there isn't something like a 200t that is THE saw for groundwork.

395 Husqvarna, it the same class as the 660. Either one will work fine.

To be honest I have always had sthils cause it was convieniant and they workk good. I used a 395 today, it was older but lighter, smoother and cut just peachy. It could of used a look at the bar and chain cause it bound on the big wood and then would not start after the first tank. We found 2 loose screws in the air filter houseing and othe missing bolts. I gave up as I was not putting either 44 to that stump, although I coulda. I sent for the 88.

Yeah, I was kinda leaning towards a stihl. Not that I have anything against other manufacturers, I just like their saws from my experience and mostly what I hear and see from others. If I find a good deal on something similar in another brand I may switch. I don't know yet and I got time to figure it out.

OK, thanks. One more for the list. I got another couple weeks till I buy. After some research I'll post my options. Hopefully I can narrow it down to 3 saws.

Stihl 044, 441, or what ever new # they have for that size saw.
Been using the 038,041,& 044 for 26 years- Saws were designed to work all day.....YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED. Also, if you do enter in to the world of proper tree care & removals, the 044 will be much desired for blocking trunks & removing large limbs while climbing.
I wouldn't go any larger, we have larger saws and they get used few times throughout the year. 24"with skip tooth will cut 98% of the trees encountered if you are experienced. That being said, "big wood" beings about another set of mental issues, better have clear communication & make sure your guys are quick learners - professional leaf rakers and grass cutters can easily find themselves outgunned & hurt. A bigger saw normally doesn't make the job go easier, if anything Without proper experience, it will add to the days frustration & expense.

My favorite ground work saw (for bucking wood) is my 460 magnum. So much that I'm hoping to buy a second one. I have an 088 for really big stuff, but it is a heavy saw that I only bring out on stuff 30" and larger. Just wish it had electric start (LOL).

I know these wern't suggested, but will any of these do the job:

Stihl 028 AV Super $249.00

Stihl MS 250 $229.00

Husqvarna 141 $129.00

Husqvarna 55 $229.00

They seem a little small and none of the recommended bar lengths exceeds 20". Not sure if any of these will do the job until I can get a brand new saw.

Thanks

I think a 20" bar will do the job. I just wonder if any of the saws I just posted are recommended by any one. Do those prices seem ok for a used, but good condition, saw?

I've got a shindaiwa 757 that I use a lot for felling, bucking and stump cuts. It is my big nasty saw at this point, haven't got anything bigger yet. Got a couple 24" bars and a couple 20". Also use a Stihl 440 and a Husky 455 quite a bit.

I sold my 250 to buy a 260pro...even 18" is a bit much for a 250 imo. Its a fine saw does what its asked, but meant for smallish stuff.

I have a 14" 200t for in the tree, 16" 260pro for most ground work, and a 20" 361 for the bigger stuff. Either of the ground saws can go up in the tree as well. In the rare time I need something bigger, I'll borrow a 440....

Back