Best Chainsaw for Groundwork

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whichever brand you prefer your gonna want a saw over 90cc for a 60" tree. .....

I agree, but the gap from the MS200T etc to the 90cc one is just too large, and I suspect the 90cc one will be overkill for a good part of the ground work.

He also need some backup - so he needs at least a 70cc saw in addition, preferably a smaller rear-handle saw as well....

I have 0 experience with Stihl saws. The Huskys I run EVERY day. the 141 is NOT big enough for a ground saw for day in/ day out use. The 55 Rancher is a occasional use saw. A tree service that is going to stay in business is going to use their ground saw more than occasionally. get yourself a Dolmar 6400 or a 7900. for a Husky(if they have better dealer support in your area) I would get a 372xp or a 357xp.

For residential and some commercial I use a 460 with a 24" bar and a 460 with a 30" bar. Between the two I can take care of most anything. The saw matters to a point but it is more about the user and their experience cutting large timber and running large saw in general.

to big four ground saw 026 tom trees

Thanks everyone, that should help my research along. At least now I know there isn't something like a 200t that is THE saw for groundwork.

There is, the Stihl 044. Good luck finding one. The 441 is the new version and it's very smooth. I myself don't have a 44 because I have a 361 and an 660, but for the most part it has been the default ground saw for a long time. I have seen many many crews who run only 200t's and 44's.

So, basically, the saws I posted above are pooh pooh. Those are from a local store. I guess I'll start checking online. I just want to get a used saw in good condition, then buy a new one in a month or two. I guess all I need is something that will work to bring in some bucks, then get the proper tool.

Thanks

if you watch ebay and be careful you can find a deal if your not in a hurry i bought a stihl 460 for $280 is a great saw did nothing but add gas + oil.
just be careful who you bid on check their remarks.. otherwise check out this site for the occasional saw.
my vote goes for a 440 or 460 as a good ground saw you can get away with cutting almost anything if you have 2 bars 20", 24" or 32"... i think a 260 is ok but they are not great when needed to cut something big. when you have the 440 or 460 you'll most of the time have the power needed.

goodluck
Kevin

My main saws on the ground are a 440 and a 260. I have a 28" bar and 16" or 20" bar on the 260. Not much hardwood here, saws pull these bars just fine in oak as well. I bought the 260 to use when the 440 wasn't needed, but I still reach for it most of the time over the 260. I'm tall so the extra weight of the 440 is better than leaning over more with the 260 I guess. I'd say get a 361 or 440 or Husky equivalent. Have fun!!!:chainsaw:

My favorite ground work saw (for bucking wood) is my 460 magnum. So much that I'm hoping to buy a second one. I have an 088 for really big stuff, but it is a heavy saw that I only bring out on stuff 30" and larger. Just wish it had electric start (LOL).

I have the 460 as well with the 18" and 28" bar. I seem to always run her with the 28", nice balance for limbing and bucking without a lot of bending over you have to do with a shorter bar. I have a 455 Rancher with 20" bar for limbing and bucking small stuff and I just put a new piston and cylinder in my 088 that has a 30" and 48" bar. Having been continually frustrated with my climbing saw I bought a new 192T down in Smithville,Ohio last week. I have since relegated the 339xp to back up duty and I am fairly confident she is going to get really dusty. The final nail in the coffin so to speak was the sprocket binding up. Maybe I could put a different bar on her but I am really enjoying the 192T.

We run all Stihl: 441, 361, 029, 290, on the ground. The 029 and 290 are mostly for the groundies to use so they don't dull the 441 and 361 :D.I know there has been a lot said about the 029 but ours has been a rock solid saw for about 4 years now. The 361 and the 441 rock the boat!!! :greenchainsaw:

Heres the 441 going through some big wood:

10_10_200711_31AM_0001.jpg

I have the MS250 and MS460

I own both the MS250 and the MS460 and having known then what I know now I would opt out of the 250 pony up the extra cash and get the 260 totally different saw much better built and much more you can do with them

Having said that the 250 does do what I need it to but I have been having so much fun with the 460 that the 250 is getting a little dusty lately though at the end of the day when my arms and back are getting tired the 250 takes the cake doesn't do the same amount of cutting but sure is a lot lighter so it is worth having patience.. :popcorn: :popcorn:

Oh yeah just thought that I would add that I am a homeowner not a pro but I cut a lot..

Last edited:
GEOCOM is right on about the 250. I had an older 025 (pretty much the same as 250) and now have a 260. The 260 will outlast the 250 by many years because of the way they are built. Metal crankcase and clutch cover instead of plastic, etc. In my opinion in cuts noticeably faster also. Worth the extra $$$ if that is the cc of saw you are thinking of buying. You can't go wrong with a 440/460 though......buy that first and fill the gap later.

OK, I think its down to the 260 vs 441.

Not sure yet. Lately, we haven't been getting too much huge stuff - not sure if the 441 would be as handy or versatile as the 260 seems to be. Maybe I'll pick up the 260 now and wait for the next huge tree to get the 441. Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone.

I'd go as big as you can afford. Unless you are going to be climbing with the new saw I'd get the 441 because it can do everything and add the 260 later as a "luxury" (less weight) later. If you get a call the day after you buy the 260 for a big tree, can you buy the 441 if needed? Go for the big dog!:rock:

I'm not climbing with this saw. Neither of these potential saws will ever be up in a tree.

I understand the point everyone has made for the 441, I do. I also get what people are saying about the 260.

The only thing I'm afraid of is I will be lugging this 441 around for six months cutting up small stuff, breaking my back, and then six months later I finally get to truly use it for what it's capable of. It's kind of a gamble like you point out, what if I buy the 260 and then the next day... That would suck (if it was 2-4 weeks later I wouldn't be that upset). That's why I'm still thinking.

skip the 441.

it's not what it's cracked up to be.get an ms 460 or a 372xp or even a Dolmar 7900.i know of at least two dealers in CT that still have an ms440 on the shelf.another great saw.
OK, I think its down to the 260 vs 441.

Not sure yet. Lately, we haven't been getting too much huge stuff - not sure if the 441 would be as handy or versatile as the 260 seems to be. Maybe I'll pick up the 260 now and wait for the next huge tree to get the 441. Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone.

also............

the 50cc 346xp walks on the ms260.the 260 is a nice saw but it's time has come and gone.i'd say it's replacement is in the works as we speak.

Thanks. I knew about the 460 - I already switched to that from the 441.

So, I guess the 460 seems to be the way to go. I got about one more week till I have to buy. I guess I can just buy a couple bars for it and switch 'em out as needed.

Let me know about the dealers with the 440s. Post here or PM me or whatever and I'll check it out.

Back