Best Chainsaw for Groundwork

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bars and chains are cheap, relatively.....

Why would you not buy a few different lengths?

There is no one perfect length.

don't laugh, but after felling a tree I use a Stihl 17 with the micro bar to limb it and cut smaller firewood, then finish up with a 66. That micro bar is so thin that it cuts as fast as a 25, but weighs half as much. BTW, use winter bar oil on 17s and 18s, the oilers are notoriously weak.

Last edited:
I'm getting a 460 with a 25" bar to start - I've been putting it off too long now. It's $860. If anyone knows where to get one cheaper, let me know. I called the local shops and that's the going rate. I might consider used if it's a good deal.

Here are a few shots of yesterdays' job. That's the last time I use a 18" bar for a job that size. Check out the stump next to my 18 month old son. Remember I was wondering when that next big one was coming. The big one is approx 3 feet in diameter (in the longer direction).

We had 'em felled, chopped, and stacked in about 4-5 hours (Me my partner and one worker). It would have been 2-3 if I had the proper saw for the job like the 460. I know, I know, you don't have to say it. I've already kicked my own butt over this. We also did a huge amount of trimming on pines around the property.

For those guys trying to diss my rep because we drive two-door sports cars to the job sites because we never have to haul wood around, notice we didn't steal the wood and sell it to some guy on craigslist. We stacked it real nice like. He wanted one of our company shirts after he saw the sweet arse job we did, so I dropped one off when I picked up the payment today - he even paid cash, woo hoo. He's throwing a ton of referrals our way now. Our clients always love us.

edit: I just read the stihl vs husky post. I saw a few people were saying the husky is better with the big saws. Post your alternative to the 460 so I can check it out.

Last edited:
Husky does not make the same sized saw as the 460, they make a 385 which is a little bigger, and some that are smaller, like the 372 and 575. Hard to compare apples to apples here. A good comparison used to be the 372 vs the 440. I have and like them both, though I feel the power edge goes to the 372 stock.

If you could only get 1 bar for the 460, what length would it be?

Put me down for a 20". Not much you can't do well with one in most eastern hardwoods. That will cut roughly a 36" tree from both sides, that's pretty good size hardwood around here. It will cut faster in most situations and handles better in my opinion. Most loggers around here carry a 70cc class saw with a 20" bar for good reason.

Nailsbeats - I see you got a 372 and a 460. Which would you rather have. I'm still convinced about the 460.

I understand your point about the 20". I will probably by it with a 25" and add the 20" a week later. We have more 3' trees coming up soon and seems to make sense to have the 25" over the 20", but wtf do I know.

For treework I would go with the 25". You will be bucking up a lot of stuff in that range and it is more critical at times to be able to reach all the way through a felling cut when valuable obstacles are present. I meant the 20" bar for logging.

As far as the 460 vs. the 372, that is a tough call. I tell you what, I muffler modded the 372 and it will absolutely rip and is light. The 460 has the dual port muffler, has good power and I like it for bigger trunk wood, the weight tips it as my second choice though. Overall power to weight performance I would say the 372 can't be beat. Not apples to apples though and they are both excellent saws. A question like that hurts to even answer.:sucks:

Last edited:
I was worried about weight at first due to my back, but my 5hit is ripped so my arms don't care about extra weight. That's why I've been thinking the 460 is the way to go. I'm leaning towards power over weight lately. Especially since the last job where the proper saw could of saved us at least a couple hours.

28" would be sweet, but that would be overkill for this place. Check out my Pics and you'll see what I mean. We have been trimming a lot of 4 foot + diameter trees, but not felling them. Our biggest take downs so far have been in the 2-3+ foot range.

I'm bound to buy a range of bars for the 460, but I think the first will be the 25. Then, it will be something smaller like a 20. I just don't see the need for a 28 in this area. Unless it is an old specimen that died. But, I still think I'd do ok with a 25 for a long time.

As far as the 460 vs. the 372, that is a tough call. I tell you what, I muffler modded the 372 and it will absolutely rip and is light. The 460 has the dual port muffler, has good power and I like it for bigger trunk wood, the weight tips it as my second choice though. Overall power to weight performance I would say the 372 can't be beat. Not apples to apples though and they are both excellent saws. A question like that hurts to even answer.:sucks:

I'm running them both, both with 28" bars. I think that the 372 has slightly better power to weight. Both pull the 28" bar fine though the 460 has seen mostly softwood so far. I was looking for another 372 but the prices on them has blown up around here and my Stihl guy gave me a good price on the 460. I still haven't run them side by side enough to give a really strong opinion on which is better, both are good saws. Also agree that a 70cc class saw with a 20" bar is the way to go for most general groundwork. I'm running an old, slightly modded J'red 670S with a 20" bar and it's a screamer.

:cheers:

Oh yes, the old 670. Will always be the "Champ" to me. It is one of the saws I started on at 11 or 12. Fond memories. My buddy just sold a Champ to my other buddy for $300 with excellent 20" and 24" bars. Nice saw.

Just waiting until my time off lines up with dealer being open to pick up the 460. Can't f'n wait. I love new tools.

I think I switched my mind and will purchase the 460 w/ the 20" bar. Then, add the 25". I was thinking if we've been cutting what we have been with an 18" with less power, a 20" with 15+ more cc's will be just fine.

Thanks for all the help.

Ground saws

Memetic

thata boy just expanded my landscape company too

were in tree work just about 16months

It has already blown my landscaping numbers out of the water

anyway

we run 1 660

2 460s

2 260s

4 180s

the 460 is the all around best saw for the money if youre not gettin crazy

around 8ooish

372XP is the way to go.

A 372XP with 20" bar will take care of some nice size trees... and if it doesnt then throw a bigger bar on it.

Its a great saw and should have PLENTY of power for your needs.

I have been running Stihls for 27yrs , Jonsereds 7 yrs before that. Never owned a Husky . My 19 yr old 044 needs replacing and the 441 is not the one to do it. So I am buying a Husky 372XP. Love the looks of this saw.

Willard

Final decision

Well folks I made a complete 360 turn decision this morning. Tryed out a new Stihl 441 demo . The thoughts of a Husky 372 have quickly evaporated. What can I say?.... this 441 is brand new but it revs like a well broke in saw with a thousand hours on it. Different kind of power band from the 044. I limbed a big white spruce and the power was smooth and strong even from mid revs, didn't have to keep it peaked out to get the job done. I don't know what all the fuss is about the 460 being the same weight as the 441. The 441 feels lighter then the 460. We had a 460 to compare. The 441 feels more balanced ,compact and soooooo smooth in the cut over the 460. And another thing I noticed, no exhaust fumes. And to bonus this thing sips gas. At my stage in life this will probably be the last 70 cc saw I'll buy, seeing I get 20 years out of them[ with a couple of rebuilds of course]. You know if I was still logging piecework cutting yeah the lighter Husky 372 would be attractive, 8 hrs a day 5 days a week. But for my tree service doing residential work and only running it alot less in a day,no I like the feel of the 441 for the work I'm doing. I guess I'm lucky, if I need more power my old 85 cc. 064 does the job [not much heavier then the 460].My 066 can cover the 064 if needed and if they can't do a good enough job then the 090- 60inch will settle any differences.

Willard:lifter:

Back