Best firewood saw for scrounger

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dolmar seems like a good option. I could run a 3/8 chain and be under 400. A husky comparble would be the 359...right? its 499.00, big jump.

Bailey's shows the 359 at $439, and the 357 at $499.

How long can you cut with your current saw before you start to get tired?

The new bigger saw will get you tired quicker, yes you'll cut faster, but the muscle fatigue will be a factor worth keeping in mind, cause then the safety factor goes down fast. Chaps, full helmet setup, good gloves, sharp chains-file often, file less.

i'd recommend the 359.

it is a great saw.IF and only IF you have a dolamr dealer near you,i'd get a 5100.otherwise a stihl 361.

I scrounge wood, trees already down.

firebuckeye: That's what I do. I get a permit from the County and can access several local parks for down trees and limbs.

I have two saws. I have a light weight trim saw the Stihl MS192T with 12" & 14" bars, which is a top handle saw. I run 3/8" .050" semi-chisel safety chain on this saw and it is excellent. I use this for anything up to about 6-8", but mostly for trimming up limbs. Your Husky 141 probably fills the same service very nicely.

My 2nd saw is the Stihl MS361 with a 20" bar. I run 3/8 .050" RS full chisel chain on this beast and it will cut 20" rounds very fast. Someday I could put a larger bar on if I need, but for now I have stocked up 20" chains.

I was looking very closely at the Dolmar 5100S, but because my Stihl dealer gave me such a good deal on the 361, I was willing to spend the extra $$$ for a saw I can use the rest of my life and probably give to my son.

The 5100S has been called the best $400 saw by many folks on the forums.

The next step down on my short list was the Husky 353, with a 16" bar.

I had also looked at the Husky 359, 346XP, Stihl MS270 & 280.

However, I really wanted the MS361 and when my dealer offered $539, I didn't hesitate.

As long as you can handle the weight, I agree with others that something closer to 60cc is going to feel like a step from your 141.

If you really want to stay around $400, I would go with the Dolmar 5100S with a 16" or 18" bar & 3/8" .050" full chisel chain.

Make sure you keep the chain nice & sharp, and you will have a blast with the bigger lumber.

Last note... definitely remember safety gear with a bigger saw, which can get you into trouble very quickly because of the extra power and speed.

Since you researched the models I am looking at would you feel good about spending 499.00 on the husky 359 or better with the 353 at 409.00 The place that sells dolmar mainly sells the cut off saws and seemed to know little about service. I feel husky or possibly Stihl is my only option.

Here's the thing... you're gonna out spend the difference between saws very quickly in accessories & operational costs.

I liken it to the difference in the cost of golf clubs, when the real money is going to go toward greens fees. Or gun costs when the really money will be the cost of Ammo, Hunting Licenses and gear. Know what I mean?

If I had both a very good Husqvarana and Stihl dealer in my area, I think I could have been better tempted by a Husky. However, I really only had a good Stihl & Echo dealer.

Think about the cost of extras. You want to have maybe (5) extra chains, a case, maybe some new protective gear, a file rig to sharpen your chains or even a grinder, etc... add up the cost to get you totally set up and think how much you'll have left for the saw. The 353 would be the smallest I would go, but if you still have atleast $539 available, I would not hesitate to recommend haggling for the MS361.

Let me say one thing about the 361 I love. The decompression value. Using a decompression value makes starting a big saw so easy, well it's easier than the 30cc trim saw. I don't think I would by a larger saw without a decompression valve unless I had too.

Would you consider buying a saw used if you knew it was well maintained? If yes, you could save yourself some $$$ either buying locally or from someone on the forum. I'm sure if you were patient, you could find a good deal on a used MS361 from someone here who has the itch to pick up a 441, 460, 660, 880... you get the idea. :)

Take your time. You can't make a bad choice with the saws currently on your short list. They are all good. Find the one that fits your total budget and you'll be happy.

Thanks,

you have been very helpful. I think the 353 sounds like a good saw. I went out and looked at the wood I will be cutting and mostly fall 14-20 inch range. I know you said 16 inch bar on the 353 but what about the 18? I feel I will need the 18 inch often. Of course I am not an experience wood cutter so maybe you know better. Could you expand on the reason the 16" bar?

If you like the Husky line, check the 357xp. It is a little more weight, a little more money, and enough extra power to make you happy, even with a 20" bar.

get a 372xp and put a 20" bar on it with some good 3/8" round chisel and if you need to cut a little bigger you can get a longer bar(up to 32")....good power and not to heavy... 71cc 5.4hp and about 15 pounds with the bar....

Buckeye, I run a MS290 with a slight muffler mod and 20" bar. It'll cut through most things and isn't priced to high. Another option is you may want to check the local Home Depot's to see if they have any of the Makita rental saws for sale. You can get a 64cc saw for about $200. It's used, but my buddy cut over 10 cords of Ash this year with his. He put a 28" bar on it and cut thru a 24-26" ash tree faster than I ever though he would. All the Home Depot rental departments are also able to service the saw. Too bad it's that ugly blue color....can you paint it orange and white?

The best saw would be

I scrounge wood, trees already down. I wouldlike your guys opinion on one good saw that will be good for many years. I currently have a husqvarna 141 and feel it is to small. The diameter of logs varies, and some wood is already cut to length. What is one saw you guys would not leave home with out. Husky 359, 357?? I dont want to spend a fortune if not needed. I burn maybe 4 cord a year and thats it. I probably have no other use for the saw than cutting my own firewood. Thanks for every one who replies
Hey. I do the same as you do so I think the best saw would be a husky 359.

Yea, I have been thinking of it and with the wood available I need the 24 inch bar. I am wondering if the 359 will even have enough power for it. I am looking at maybe a stihl 361. The dealership I like quit selling husks but still sell the stihls. I also been looking on ebay for a 60 cc in either brand. I probably cant go wrong with either manufacturer.

Yea, I have been thinking of it and with the wood available I need the 24 inch bar. I am wondering if the 359 will even have enough power for it. I am looking at maybe a stihl 361. The dealership I like quit selling husks but still sell the stihls. I also been looking on ebay for a 60 cc in either brand. I probably cant go wrong with either manufacturer.

Both the Stihl 361 and Huskvarna 357xp are good saws.
I cannot speak to the 359, but it should be very similar.
But if you are going to pull a 24" bar, you might want to jump into the 70cc range.

Did you look at the Dolmar 7900? Very light, and powerful.

But like you said, you can't go wrong with the class of saw that you are looking at. ;)

If you are only cutting 4 cords, do NOT get anything as large as a Stihl MS361. It is a terrific firewood saw but not for what you are doing. Use a smaller, lighter, homeowner type of saw with a 14 inch bar. Less fatigue, handier in the tangle of branches you will be working in, easier to control and much safer for you! Chains are cheaper and you will go through a few because the city pushes the trees around in the dirt with their loader. And be careful in those piles, those stems can be under tension and can smack you. Use PPE. Good luck

Hugh

The wood that it is down and free for me to take is 20-30 inches wide. Dosnt that mean I need a big saw? Thanks everyone so far.

Brad

how big of wood are you wanting to pick up and move around?i have been cutting with a 20" bar for years...yes somtimes it would be nice to have a bigger bar but my back say no!! my 20" bar does everything i want to handle..its a perfect in the middle size...and you should have at least a 4 hp saw for a 20"...

The wood that it is down and free for me to take is 20-30 inches wide. Dosnt that mean I need a big saw? Thanks everyone so far.

Brad

When I first started cutting for firewood, it was definately a scroungefest, and all I had was Poulon 18" WildThing, but a fellow cutter convinced me to get another, more capable saw, enter the Stihl MS 360,(now a 361), with a 24" bar. While cutting with him, 30"+ oak,hickory and other good sized hardwoods were typical, the 360 did fine with a 24" bar, and I could cut for quite a while before taking a break, sharp chains were the key, we touched up the chains every fill-up or sooner if we hit something. It wasn't as fast as a 70cc class saw but it worked fine for me.

Now I run an 028, 460 and it feels like a good team. The 028 wears a 16"bar .325-63chain, and is a joy to use, up to the 10", a little slow after that, but capable, everything bigger gets the 460, which with a 20" makes quick work of anything, and a 24" when desired.

But the 460 gets heavy quick when walking and limbing, but great for the big stuff, bigger saws are faster, but everything keeps costing more; long bars, long chains, more fuel, bigger purchase price. Bigger saws cost less, from the standpoint of; less time in the cut, therefore less wear on the saw/operator, possibly less fuel usage overall, will last more years with proper care.

Running two saws, or at least two bars with a saw will allow you to get your pinched bar off the saw, and put the other bar on to get out of the bind.

Running common bar/chain combos is convenient from the standpoint of retailer avaibility, if a hardware store sells any stihl products they will have the most common chains on the shelf, ready to go.

Talk to your Stihl dealer about trying out the 361 16" for day in your wood, then try a 460-20", see which works well for you, they have a 7day return policy.

Lastly, with this being seasonal/weekend work, try and fit some other kind of strengthening excercise into your weekdays during your cutting period, heck lift the new saw 40-50 times couple days a week, keep those muscles used to the weight. When it gets heavy in the field it's an accident waiting to happen. Chaps are a wise investment, saws don't stop in blue jeans, especially if you cut alone.

Let us know what you get.

Thank you for the long reply. And toanswer as far as how big of woodI want, where I goits trees the city dumps. And when I was out there the other day I took a tree guy with me and he said with what he saw he thinks I need a 24 inch bar. I would be much happier with smaller wood, I just dont think I would have that choice always. It may get busy out there some days and all i would have access to might be big stuff. I have a Husky 141 now as well, so if its real small I got that covered. Again thank you all, this information I am getting is very helpful and would not be able to make a good descision with out all this feedback. Keepletting me know what you guys think. Also they let you split wood there on sight so big pieces will not be moved as much,I can spint then put on trailer. I think its going to be a sweet setup.

OK...

What's your max $$$ limit to buy a saw, maybe (2) extra chains, and any other gear you wanted/needed to get under your total price?

You are entering the deeper end of the pool once you consider wading past the MS361 and into a bigger saw.

Personally, I might still buy the MS361 with the 24"bar. And I would try the standard RSC chain. If it had a problem bogging down in some of the wood you need to cut, you could have a RSC skip chain handy, so cutting was a little easier.

If I wanted to run an even bigger bar, that's when I start to look at a 70-80cc saw, and there are so many nice choices, I start to get a headache all over again. :hmm3grin2orange:

Consider you max $$$ budget, and then we can help you empty your wallet from there. :)

Back