Best gas log splitter around $1500

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tractor 1200$ , cork screw splitter 300$ , your twice as fast ! I had gas splitter, vertical one for behind tractor, there all so slow compared to screw type..... Must say never had the chance to try a kinetic one [emoji45]

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

If vertical capability is a must, TSC or DHT 22-ton, or the likes, maybe even a little more tonnage for your $1500 ceiling. If vertical is not a must, I'd suggest the 20-ton Dual Split. A site sponsor here sells them as well as GNE. I have the NT Powerhorse version with 206cc engine. It splits 7 sec cycle time on the extend and 7 sec cycle time back on the retract stroke. Dual log racks. Mine has never missed a beat and cost $1K new. It has never failed to crank in two pulls and that's with a Chinawan engine. If rounds are too heavy, I've got a couple of 54" two-man log lifts...usually another person is around anyhow that can help get the round on the table. I also purchased a 4-way slip-on wedge for the Dual Split and it can make short work out of a pile of rounds that are the right diameter...in under 20 secs or so, you can literally have 8 splits, counting the 'grunt' time if hard, stringy wood. I use the two-man log lift theory putting larger rounds on my SS HD as well. If you go the 20-ton Dual Split route, PM me, I'll give you the contact info for the guy with the custom made 4-way slip-on. Fair price on the 4-way as well. There's a lot of options out there, if considering used as well. I can only speak for what I have and use...not trying to sway you one way or the other. Good luck with whatever route you choose.

If the ability to go vertical is something you require I think any of the common splitters will do fine for you. Dht, country line, ariens, etc etc

I will say I do like my dht 27 ton but I've really got nothing to compare it to other than using a friend's home made splitter.

Only thing that annoys me about it is the log table. According to a rep here they are offering a newer, larger, and redesigned table. I'm probably going to try that one.

be careful on some of those dual splits they are not hydro cylinder but a large screw that drives wedge back and forth.
$1500 will get you just about any basic h/v splitter in the 20 ton range plus a few extras in some cases. should be a few sales showing up about now, so ya can save a couple clams.

Spend the extra money and buy a SuperSplit, I wasted so much time over the years splitting wood with my hydraulic..
Now it's actually fun to split wood........ weird, huh ???
I was actually going to suggest the same. Of course not new for $1500, but it'll certainly buy a good used SS. They're difficult at best to find used though.

be careful on some of those dual splits they are not hydro cylinder but a large screw that drives wedge back and forth.
$1500 will get you just about any basic h/v splitter in the 20 ton range plus a few extras in some cases. should be a few sales showing up about now, so ya can save a couple clams.
I didn't know some were screw driven. Not quite sure what brandname those are. My NT Powerhorse and the two I mentioned in my previous post, I know, are all hydraulic. Those three are all the same, only difference is engine mfg and color. Do you know off top of your head the screw driven ones by mfg'er? I'd be curious to look one up online.

The 22 ton, and even the 28 ton TSC (Speeco) units are a good value. Ive been tossing this around for a few months on build or buy. Scouring craigslist looking for a decent used or 3 point unit that I can modify to suit.

The only difference between them is the 28 ton has a 4.5" cylinder and a larger beam. Both share the same GPM pump so the 28 will be a bit slower than the 22. And the beams are welded, not formed. The 28 is on sale now for $1400 plus tax and the 22 are priced at $1000 plus tax.

Ive decided to save my money and buy a nice splitting axe.

The super splits are like hens teeth I've managed to find 2 ss and one homemade mechanical splitter. I use the homemade one as is far superior to the ss but hate the thought of a hydraulic splitter. I think I would just soon use a fiskers for anything under 5 cord

The super splits are like hens teeth I've managed to find 2 ss and one homemade mechanical splitter. I use the homemade one as is far superior to the ss but hate the thought of a hydraulic splitter. I think I would just soon use a fiskers for anything under 5 cord
I don't mean to add to no derail from Stillhunter, OP...you got pics of the homemade kinetic splitter? Shoot 'em to me via PM if ya don't mind. Sure like to see it. Hard for me to imagine a far superior kinetic splitter than the SS...it must have some gangbustin heavy flywheels on it.

I didn't know some were screw driven. Not quite sure what brandname those are. My NT Powerhorse and the two I mentioned in my previous post, I know, are all hydraulic. Those three are all the same, only difference is engine mfg and color. Do you know off top of your head the screw driven ones by mfg'er? I'd be curious to look one up online.
off hand no I was digging around at electric powered units most were the 4-7 ton versions, one 8ton and one 10 ton and of course the ram splitters which are there regular units with electric power instead of gas. really wasn't paying attention to brand name somewhere in the search ran across that- it was chicom though.

off hand no I was digging around at electric powered units most were the 4-7 ton versions, one 8ton and one 10 ton and of course the ram splitters which are there regular units with electric power instead of gas. really wasn't paying attention to brand name somewhere in the search ran across that- it was chicom though.
I gotcha.

As others have stated $1500 should get you a nice splitter with a Honda engine. I've got the Troybilt 27 ton unit and it has served me well for 8 years now.

As others have stated $1500 should get you a nice splitter with a Honda engine. I've got the Troybilt 27 ton unit and it has served me well for 8 years now.
Can't argue with that Ironworker...if it's gotta Honda GX pushing it.

I haven't got a single pic on the phone I'll try to scrounge up a video from face book is like s super split but much heavier built is what a commercial super split should look like

Latest posts

Back