Best gas log splitter around $1500

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have to watch the ads like a hawk and be ready to move now if you want a decent used splitter at a reasonable price. Or be lucky. Took almost a year to find mine.

I'd hafta look back in the thread...did the original owner or the new owner claim 'on the first and only tank of gas?' Nonetheless, if the case, sure...the splitter's still wet behind the ears, one would think.

Would've had to be in absolute mint condition, washed and waxed, to pay 7/8ths new money for used. I'm sure you'll post up pics of the splitter. If it's absolute next to brand new, nothing wrong with saving a couple hundred bucks on the deal.
There is a pic up in the show us your splitting sticky.

sent from a field

There is a pic up in the show us your splitting sticky.

sent from a field
Well hell Casey...gotta give ya a like for the 'ride' ya purchased. Good looking splitter. Change the oil if ya haven't or run a good couple of cords through it, then change...should be good to go. Sure makes that 'Manuel' splittin a heap easier to opt out of if ya wanna. Good buy.

Well hell Casey...gotta give ya a like for the 'ride' ya purchased. Good looking splitter. Change the oil if ya haven't or run a good couple of cords through it, then change...should be good to go. Sure makes that 'Manuel' splittin a heap easier to opt out of if ya wanna. Good buy.
Thanks. Previous owner said he bought it last fall and used it for about 20 minutes.

The motor ran like it had old gas but did fire up on the first pull. If it keeps running bad I'll throw a Honda on it.

sent from a field

Thanks. Previous owner said he bought it last fall and used it for about 20 minutes.

The motor ran like it had old gas but did fire up on the first pull. If it keeps running bad I'll throw a Honda on it.

sent from a field
I think the engine will probably 'auto correct' with a tank or two of non-ethanol gas, with a couple of capfuls of Sea Foam poured in each tankful.

Wow, is that standard in the Us ? Just 90 days ? Here in Europe all is standard 2 years.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

Wallenstein ...

The Good!
- Built like a tank!
- This is the only brand all the rental shops use up here
- Honda GX Commercial engine - sips gas - bullet proof
- Engine mounted well back away from splitting area
- Even the 20 ton splits everything I have thrown at it.
- Splitter can be insured and pulled behind truck

The Bad!
~ End shoe is a bit thicker than I would like, makes very large rounds a little harder to slide on top of the shoe when splitting in vertical mode

= = = =

Canadian Made and with the CDN dollar in toilet, anyone buying with US dollars is up 30%

http://www.embmfg.com/forestry/Splitters/img/wx540_studio_large.jpg

Wallenstein ...

The Good!
- Built like a tank!
- This is the only brand all the rental shops use up here
- Honda GX Commercial engine - sips gas - bullet proof
- Engine mounted well back away from splitting area
- Even the 20 ton splits everything I have thrown at it.
- Splitter can be insured and pulled behind truck

The Bad!
~ End shoe is a bit thicker than I would like, makes very large rounds a little harder to slide on top of the shoe when splitting in vertical mode

= = = =

Canadian Made and with the CDN dollar in toilet, anyone buying with US dollars is up 30%

http://www.embmfg.com/forestry/Splitters/img/wx540_studio_large.jpg

Post # 3, page 1.

:yes:

Mine is the Surge Master version with the GC engine, but it's a solid splitter. Controls & engine are in just the right spots, can split the same from both sides. I would like to have a bit more ground clearance for when towing it right to the tree with the ATV sometimes but that is typical for most anything in this class.

When I go vertical, I lay a 4"dia. or so stick or round on the ground in front of the foot, back a few inches from it. I can usually roll a split up on end & push it into the beam all in one motion. I usually try to park the splitter on the downhill side of the rounds when I've got bigger ones, gravity helps a lot in those situations.

I got it used and I think it split a lot of wood before I got it. Fellow didn't admit it but I think he dabbled in the wood selling business & was getting out of it. Still works like new. Lights don't look like new though - but I'll never be roading it.

Let's hope so.

sent from a field
...at least it ain't no GM product...you
Let's hope so.

sent from a field
I think the engine will be fine Casey if run no more than it has. Either two/three capfuls of Sea Foam or any carb/fuel injector cleaner, or Star Tron fuel treatment in every tank, will dissolve any build up on needles, jets, etc in the carb, if running a little rough. I dump Sea Foam in every gas can I've got, buying non-ethanol even, and all my oil mix cans as well. Everything I run gets a dose of it. Again, for $800, ya can't beat it. Good purchase.

Post # 3, page 1.

:yes:

Mine is the Surge Master version with the GC engine, but it's a solid splitter. Controls & engine are in just the right spots, can split the same from both sides. I would like to have a bit more ground clearance for when towing it right to the tree with the ATV sometimes but that is typical for most anything in this class.

When I go vertical, I lay a 4"dia. or so stick or round on the ground in front of the foot, back a few inches from it. I can usually roll a split up on end & push it into the beam all in one motion. I usually try to park the splitter on the downhill side of the rounds when I've got bigger ones, gravity helps a lot in those situations.

I got it used and I think it split a lot of wood before I got it. Fellow didn't admit it but I think he dabbled in the wood selling business & was getting out of it. Still works like new. Lights don't look like new though - but I'll never be roading it.

Ya I think the Surgemaster is basically the same unit except for the engine. Wallenstein makes them both. Rock solid! I got the Wallenstein with the lights and Dept of Transport certification, handy for pulling directly to job sites, but for long trips, I still want to trailer it (no shock absorbers). I tried to buy it used - rental shops told me they never die - hard pressed to find a used one - you got lucky! Thanks for the vertical cutting tip. I find I usually just noodle the wood instead of vertically splitting the big rounds. Usually works out faster for me than trying to manhandle them into place.

As others have stated $1500 should get you a nice splitter with a Honda engine. I've got the Troybilt 27 ton unit and it has served me well for 8 years now.
+1. I have used the same for 4 years now with no trouble at all.

Spend the extra money and buy a SuperSplit, I wasted so much time over the years splitting wood with my hydraulic..
Now it's actually fun to split wood........ weird, huh ???
I have a pile for you to work on if it's fun LOL:) contact me for my phone# and address

If you got a pile set aside I allready know what it must look like....
I got a place you can dump it though,,,, just to help you out !!! lol
Here is the pile I need help with.

Attachments

• P1010966.JPG
    P1010966.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 37
  • P1010968.JPG
    P1010968.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
I see MR Timberwolf is figuring out how to post pictures now.....kewl..

After your pile is done can I borrow your splitter??? RT is probably 30 hrs...the splitter does tow at highway speeds correct??
His splitters will tow at highway speeds, mine goes on a trailer to go fast..

Latest posts

Back