Best Japanese Saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

16gauge

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This could be fun...or not. My top picks are:

Echo
Redmax
Shindaiwa

Well that's all I know of anyway. What are your picks and why?:biggrinbounce2:

Echo (Kioritz)
Tanaka
Shindaiwa

In that Order.

The old ECS Tanaka's were a little weighty, but solid, reliable saws. I still havent found a saw that will throw a spark like my ECS-415, its got a mean snap to it.

Well seeing as you didn't say chainsaw I'll have to go with Komatsu they make one mean processor that should put all the saws you guys named to shame.:sucks: :blob2: :rockn:

My favorite japanese saw is a Silky.

LOL, that may be true, no Japan made chainsaw impress me (but admittedly, that is based on specs and other info, not on actual use) - some RedMax models don't look that bad though, like the 621.........

Last edited:
I'm a bigoted SOB.I don't willingly buy anything made in Japan.:blob2:

+1 !

In the eighties, I travelled a lot in south east asia to sell cable manufactering equipment (french and belgian origin, top notch quality). Thanks to the booming industry at that time, I was quite succesfull and it was a pleasure doing business with the local people.

However, every company owned by the japanese over there would not buy anything other than made in Japan. I spend numerous days, months trying to convince plant managers to buy our equipment, but never succeeded.

My light was turned on when a plant manager of a Thai factory (japanese sub) told me : Roland, you have probably the best equipment to offer, but I am not even going to try to convince the board (all japs of course) to buy yours, because they will always prefer to buy a japanese brand.:monkey:

Since that day, I have sworn I would never buy a japanese car or equipment again, unless I had no valid alternative. I have honored that promise until today (except for a camera).:fart: :fart:

but you can be pressured into it??? out of sheer necessity Ehhh? :hmm3grin2orange:
Well try and buy any electronics that aren't made in Japan or China .Good luck.

If the rate of decline continues you won't be able to purchase an American made automobile before long.

Now,you can talk about free trade all you want but trade is not free in Japan nor do they play by the same rules as the rest of the world.The Japanese view business as a war.Do you selves a favor and read "Rising Sun" by Michael Crichton some time.Although this is a work of fiction it pretty much tells the tale.

I know that I'm a minority in my thinking and I'm just fine with that.Those that embrace this invasion eroding this great country might take heed because history repeats it's self.

yeah that trend is changing though. All that chinese made stuff is really starting to get worse and worse quality. You buy an mp3 player made in china and the instructions are some weird chinese-english dialect
"step one, swiftly push button force to on turn walkman"
and the lead painted toys. They have been getting a VERY bad rep lately

Well now,the Chinese pet food stuff is killing off cats and dogs in record numbers,wheat glutton etc.

My greatest joy is the old adage of what goes around comes around is when the Japanese tried to get the Koreans to make cheap steel that they could sell,using coolie labor and lack of environmental concerns in Korea.
The methods were pirated from the U S.

What actually happened was the Koreans flooded the market with steel and the Japanese cried foul .Oh my,such a pity.

This country is the greatest pirates in the world,ever.They even stole their written language from the Chinese,historically.

I'm not all one sided though.I'll give them credit for many improvements in design of many things.I just don't like their methods.

Now,I may have a lot of narrow mindedness on this subject.Whatever degree I have though is only a slight fraction of that whole cultures mind set towards the entire rest of the world.Take that one to the bank.

Those that don't believe me,try working around that bunch some time,you might be in for a great enlightenment .

In spite of the doom and gloom,a light at the end of the tunnel.History will show that Japan has never been successfull at any thing for a long period of time.The pedulum will swing,as it always has in the past but I wish it would hurry up.

Last night my Made In The USA TV broke for good. I had went to the dealer a while back for repairs and he told me it wasn't worth the money to fix it. So i looked at wally mart but i didn't want to buy one there. So i tore mine down @ 2 am after work and found a loose connection and it works perfect now. Now to find another USA tv which i don't think there are anymore...Bob

Latest posts

Back