best john deere chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woodcutter69

woodcutter69

ArboristSite Operative
I think I want to buy another chainsaw and was wandering what is the best model, they seem to have pretty good prices, I assume they are ones that are still made by efco. My dolmar 5100 is at the dealer now and miss that saw, and need to get another one or should I say I dont need another one but I want another one. I think I suffer from cad, what ever that disease is. Help me spend my money.

windthrown

windthrown

361 Junkie
John Deere is getting out of the chainsaw biz. Actually they are off-loading all their handheld tools. Why would you want a saw made by a company that was getting out of the biz?

BTW: this info is from the local Deere shop here that now has the full Stihl line of saws, blowers and trimmers.

jburlingham

jburlingham

Addicted to ArboristSite
They are currently made by Efco, and the prices are good because, as I understand John Deere is no longer planning on carrying its own brand. They have a deal with Stihl to carry the Stihl brand in the JD dealers.
Since the saws are made for them by Efco, any Efco dealer can get you the appropriate parts should you ever need them.
As far as the best model I think depends on your needs. I have the CS40le and its a nice smaller saw, however if I had the extra money to drop on a JD saw I would go for the CS56 or CS81

Last edited:
thomasjf

thomasjf

ArboristSite Operative
CS62 and CS81

the cs56 and cs62 share the same base parts, only differance is the jug and piston. go for the 62cc.

Next up is the CS81, I havn't found a cs71 for sale for over a year.

I have a CS71 and just acquired a cs62, both great saws, start easy, handle well.
No experience with their smaller saws.

I consider the cs56 and up to be pro class saws by design. Magnesium crankcases, etc.
search for olympyk or efco threads, the 962 and 980/981 series are identical to the cs62 and cs81
I buy parts from efco dealers as JD is quite expensive . As an example a clutch bearing for my cs71 from JD was $20+, same bearing from efco less than $8.

Last edited:
ty1220

ty1220

ArboristSite Lurker

I have been following a brand new CS 52 on E-Bay for a few days. I had my finger on the " Buy Now " button but then somehow backed off. lol I think my finger was bouncing. Anyway, It's going for 275.00. I was bummed that they didn't take Pay Pal and had to reconsider but it seemed like a damn good deal. Unless it's too small for what you're wanting.

It was still there as of last night :cheers:

davefr

davefr

Addicted to ArboristSite
They are currently made by Efco, and the prices are good because, as I understand John Deere is no longer planning on carrying its own brand. They have a deal with Stihl to carry the Stihl brand in the JD dealers.
Since the saws are made for them by Efco, any Efco dealer can get you the appropriate parts should you ever need them.

"any Efco dealer"??? Is there such a thing as an Efco dealer? And I thought Dolmar dealers were rare.

thomasjf

thomasjf

ArboristSite Operative
"any Efco dealer"???

Baileys-a site sponsor, several on ebay,
If you only need parts not a problem, now if you need someone to do the work for you that's another thing.

Taxmantoo

Taxmantoo

Plays with chainsaws
. AS Supporting Member.

Anyway, It's going for 275.00. I was bummed that they didn't take Pay Pal and had to reconsider but it seemed like a damn good deal. Unless it's too small for what you're wanting.

The problem with no paypal is missing out on the 10% November bonus from fleabay/paypal. At $275 plus freight, I'd rather drive 20 miles to the Dolmar dealer and hand him $299 for a PS-510. The CS-62 at around $325 after the 10% discount with free shipping, now that's cheap compared to a Dolmar 6400 or Stihl 361/390.

Are the CS46 and CS52 built like the CS36 and CS40, or are they more pro quality like the CS56/62?

windthrown

windthrown

361 Junkie
The problem with no Paypal is not being able to pay with a CC, and getting screwed on the deal. Never pay for anything on Ebay by check or MO. You are begging to get ripped off if you do that.

davefr

davefr

Addicted to ArboristSite
The problem with no Paypal is not being able to pay with a CC, and getting screwed on the deal. Never pay for anything on Ebay by check or MO. You are begging to get ripped off if you do that.

All that changes first of the year. No cc option = no ebay listing. (there are a few exceptions)

windthrown

windthrown

361 Junkie
All that changes first of the year. No cc option = no ebay listing. (there are a few exceptions)

Then it will be pure Paypal. Which will drive all the small non-Paypal people off of Ebay. Or force them to use Paypal. It will be amusing. Ebay is down 10% as it is with the economy.

BTW: where did you get the info on CC option on Ebay? I have not heard anything about it.

Last edited:
Taxmantoo

Taxmantoo

Plays with chainsaws
. AS Supporting Member.
I started cutting back on eBay when they bought Paypal (an illegal banking operation IMO).
Last time I sold something, I prominently put a
logo.gif
on my auction listing. Sold a Futaba receiver, brand new, for model aircraft. There were several up for auction that weekend, mine was the cheapest of them all. Two used ones got bid up higher than my new one, because I wouldn't use Paycrooks. The item I sold goes mail order for about $55, I expected $40-50, got $28.

Last edited:

SAWZ

ArboristSite Lurker
I vote for the CS62. I have one and it is a great saw. I actually prefer it to my brothers MS361 Stihl (the one that cures cancer here). It feels better in my hands, weight/power ratio is excellent and it performs just as well if not better than his 361 in stock form. Cost me 1/2 that of a new 361. For me it was a no brainer. I find myself reaching for this saw more than any other for wood lot use. Everyone seems excited over JD going to Stihl and dropping this line. These saws are Efco saws made in Italy and parts are easily found online.

dennisj73

dennisj73

ArboristSite Lurker
Jd Cs62

I just bought one yesterday...a John Deere dealer was clearing out his inventory and I picked up a CS62. I really wanted to get a Husqvarna 372xp, but this saw was literally half the price, but not half the quality.

I'm looking forward to using it this weekend.

DJ