Best Light Duty Chainsaw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good $250 Chainsaw

I've had good luck with my little Echo CS300, as well as my Echo SRM-230 line trimmer. Used, but not abused. Perhaps this might fill your bill, plus free shipping. From alamia.com for $250. Also check with your local dealer for prices, as some would rather sell for less, than to lose a sale. Also Echo has the 5year warranty now as per their website FYI.

ECHO® Chain Saws CS370-16in. [ Back ]

Product: ECH-CS370-16

The top chain saw in its class, the CS-370 is a favorite of demanding users and professional arborists.

Model CS370
Engine 2-Cycle

Displacement 36.3cc-2.20(cu.in.)
Carburetor Diaphragm W/Purge Pump
Ignition Electronic
Oiling System Auto
Chain Brake Standard
Bar Length 16in.
Fuel Capacity 13.9(fl.oz.)
Oil Capacity 9.5(fl.oz.) (A)
UL & CSA Approved yes
Vibration Reduction System Standard
Dry Weight 10.00 lbs.
Warranty 2-yr. consumer, 1-yr. commercial
Optional Accessories See Below

Click here for a full Echo' Spec Sheet (PDF format)

You felled your skidder??????

attachment.php

Turned out to be not as bad as it first looked...

Once in a while I see an 026 for around $150 in these parts. Good idea on the preowned suggestion. If it has to be new, I have had good luck with an Echo CS-346. No powerhouse, but dependable and under $190 new, including shipping, on FleaBay.

Chainsaw recommendations

An 026 for a buck fifty? Nice deal. The 346 chassis looks similiar to the CS 300with the air filter up front. A little fussy to open and clean, and then close up for operation. The 370 has a rear top mounted auto style filter which appealed to me. Easy to access w/ no tools. Get the blow gun-poof-and your back in service. Either way, the Echos I've run do just that, run. And the 5yr warranty might be a deciding factor, but I'm not familiar with whats included, and what's not. Not a 440 or a 395XP, but it's sized to what he needs.

First off, whatcha gonna be cutting with this saw? That might point you in one direction versus another...

Anyway, the Echo CS346 is a proven design that I'm very fond of. New in box for $160 +/- a few bucks on eBay. Pull the muffler screen and run some good chain, and you'll be set. The new 370 also looks nice in terms of build quality and feel, though I haven't run one yet.

The Stihl MS170/180 family is a nice little saw, and will definitely get the job done. That narrow-kerf chain they sell with it makes the most of the power the saw has. I'd still rather have the Echo, but these saws will do the same job just as well.

And the Dolmar 401 (or, in blue, the Makita DSC401) is probably the best quality saw you're going to find in that price range. The challenge, obviously, is in finding a Dolmar dealer in your area. If you can, or if you decide to score a new-in-box Makita on eBay, you'll have a 40cc saw with a magnesium crankcase, bolt-on cylinder, and other features not usually found on a low-end saw nowadays.

I got a Dolmar PS401, once I got it tuned I fel in love with it. Power to weight the only saw that comes close is the 200 Stihl, for a bunch more money.

This saw has a solid case, and a compression release, I know, I was like WTF is that for, until I was lating on my side under a shrub and had to start it...

I got it on sale for $225 at a local store.

I have

1-017
1-018c
2-180c's
1-180c Easy2start..wife's

Only problem's so far , a carb from sitting with old gas and 1 broken handle from falling off the skidder and getting hit by tire...

You and your wimpy saws
now that there was funny

I've had good luck with my little Echo CS300, as well as my Echo SRM-230 line trimmer. Used, but not abused. Perhaps this might fill your bill, plus free shipping. From alamia.com for $250. Also check with your local dealer for prices, as some would rather sell for less, than to lose a sale. Also Echo has the 5year warranty now as per their website FYI.

ECHO® Chain Saws CS370-16in. [ Back ]

Product: ECH-CS370-16

The top chain saw in its class, the CS-370 is a favorite of demanding users and professional arborists.

Model CS370
Engine 2-Cycle

Displacement 36.3cc-2.20(cu.in.)
Carburetor Diaphragm W/Purge Pump
Ignition Electronic
Oiling System Auto
Chain Brake Standard
Bar Length 16in.
Fuel Capacity 13.9(fl.oz.)
Oil Capacity 9.5(fl.oz.) (A)
UL & CSA Approved yes
Vibration Reduction System Standard
Dry Weight 10.00 lbs.
Warranty 2-yr. consumer, 1-yr. commercial
Optional Accessories See Below

Click here for a full Echo' Spec Sheet (PDF format)

Only problem with this is he would still be buying cheap and spending money on a better product later. Hell the MS210 will outcut the Echo 370.

It may have already been said so forgive me if it has but IMO Echo makes the best homeowner saw out there.

boy that just went right over my head.
now that's some funny stuff right there

From Experience...

I'm a newby here and had a question about the best light duty chainsaw. I'm a homeowner so it would get occasional limbing and small trees <10 inches. I'm on a budget and have read through some posts and advice you've given others. It seems a lot of people here like the stihls.

I've read some good things about the efco's and huskys as well. I know it's tempting to go with a bigger saw but I have to stay under $250. I'm looking at the Husky 142, Efco MT3600 or stihl ms 170. Seems like the husky has the larger displacement at 40cc.

Also...i noticed the efco has a model that is a top handle. This seems like it would be good for one handed use. Any other advantages or disadvantages?

Thanks for the help

Oddly enough I just had this dilemma last year. I tried the 137, for the wife of course. She does small bucking/limbing. The 137 is hands down the cheapest POS I've ever seen. Flimsy and poorly built, your better off spending the $100 on a Pull-on from Kmart or something. I got rid of it on the second use after the chain flew off for the 5th time and got her a little Stihl MS-210 for like $200 on the head. It's only rated at 35cc's but it'll out cut the 137 and 142 w/out a doubt. I went and tried the 142 after trading in the 137 towards the 210, I found it to be pretty much the same saw with just a tit more zip to it. The 210 squashes them both. HEED MY WORDS DUDE!!!!! Spend $200 and get a 210, I promise if you don't like it I'll buy it from ya. They are a great little all around saw to have around and I've had ZERO problems with it the last year we've used it. I can't say anything bout the Echo or the Shindaiwa or the Johnny reds as I haven't tried them. Here's a link for a nice little Dolmar PS34. I've heard it's an EXCELLENT SAW. Look on here for Cutting Edge, they can prolly give you a deal on it. Link below. Good luck buddy. :rock:

http://arboristsite.com/member.php?u=3404

:popcorn:

Let us know what you decide eh?

..... Stihl MS-210 for like $200 on the head. It's only rated at 35cc's but it'll out cut the 137 and 142 w/out a doubt. .....

The US version 137 and 142 is seriously strangled by EPA, compared to the older 136/141, so I believe you.....

They will soon be history, as well, and probably just was an EPA-driven stop-gap. I believe the replacements will be named 235/240.....

Last edited:
+1 for the Stihl MS210 :clap:

I've had a 021 for quite a few years now. That little saw was my full time limber for a long time and is still put to use when I can get someone to run it. It has cut more wood then I care to remember and has never given me an ounce of trouble. It's a great little saw tailor made for the type of cutting you describe.

WOW!! You guys have given me a lot to think about. :dizzy: So it sounds like most like the stihl...i haven't heard of dolmar saws but I'll see if they have a dealer around here. I grew up in the 70's using my dads little homelite and that was a top handle saw as well. I was still using that until last year when it was stolen. As much as I'll be using it, that really doesn't matter much.

Any opinions on the efco's? I've read other posts from people that really like them. Not sure how availabel parts are. I hear they use to come in the cub cadets. I have an echo trimmer and I guess I need to add that to the list.

I looked on ebay at used chainsaws but am a little leary about how abused they may be.

Thanks for the great feedback.

Ms210

200 bucks for it would be a good price, about 20% less than I would at my Stihl dealer ($240 USC plus tax D.S.R.P).Just trying to give the guy some options-local dealers, internet, Home Depot. Stihl dealeres here aren't willing to budge off the DSRP. So a savings of 1/5 would be a great consideration. The brand all the local and HomeDepot guys carry are the Echos. While not big powerfull cc machines, they perform well, with little or no problems- my usage includes my own little CS300, a friends CS440 firewood saw, and my SRM230 line trimmer. All maintenance done by me, with parts from my mowermart or through the wonders of internet shopping!
Some CS440 results:

I checked around for a dolmar dealer and there was one fairly close by but they no longer carry them. I'm a little concerned about parts...i can do the work myself and i guess i could order the parts but if it's something i can't handle i may not have a delear to take it back to.

I called a shop that sells both echo and stihl and the 170 was $20 cheaper than the echo 306. But the echo has a 5 yr warranty for non commercial use. I guess i'm narrowing it down to those.

I guess i need to go look at both of them and see which one feels better to me. I don't think i would need the extra warranty time knowing how well made stihls are.

Thanks for the advice :chainsaw:

Back