Best Light Duty Chainsaw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My new saw...

I myself am buying a new little saw. It's going to be around the 3hp range. I've chosen the Dolmar PS-510. Pricing and size etc... it's one of the best bangs for the buck. I've got a Dolmar PS-7900 that I've had for about a year now. Prolly cut around 25 or so face cord with it and am thoroughly impressed with it. This saw is what made me decide to go with the second Dolmar I'm about to get. I'll let you know how I like it... Take care and good luck eh? :rock:

Where approx in NC???

Amick's is in Asheboro...about 5 minutes off Hwy 220 (I-73/74) on the north end of town. They stock, service & sell Stihl, Husky, Dolmar, Redmax, Shindaiwa etc...

Last time I was there (early Sept IIRC) they had a PS401 for $249 and also the smaller PS34 (unk. price) along with a pack of the other brands.

I need to get another small saw to keep my Husky 41 company, and at this point, my research & price-point keeps saying "Dolmar PS401". It's not the most modern little saw, but it feels solid (but light) and well put together. Power to weight is .26 hp/lb. A comparably priced Stihl (MS210) is .21 hp/lb and comparable engine size (MS230) is .25 hp/lb, but retails for approx $30 more than the PS401. I'm fast becoming a Stihl junkie, but in the small/budget range I like the Dolmar.

I'm about an hour down the road from Amick's in Moore County. It's worth a little driving hassle for me.

Welcome to AS!

I myself am buying a new little saw. It's going to be around the 3hp range. I've chosen the Dolmar PS-510. Pricing and size etc... it's one of the best bangs for the buck. I've got a Dolmar PS-7900 that I've had for about a year now. Prolly cut around 25 or so face cord with it and am thoroughly impressed with it. This saw is what made me decide to go with the second Dolmar I'm about to get. I'll let you know how I like it... Take care and good luck eh? :rock:

The power to weight ratio of the 510 is not good at all, but I guess you know that.....:)

Aluminium is heavier than magnesium.

Last edited:
Best Light Duty Chainsaw

A lot of good recommendations, but what pretty much what they all describe is a rear handled chainsaw-whatever brand. If you've got any friends with saws, check out what they have and pick their brain. The likes and dislikes of the saws they have. And shop around for both price and service.

Thanks for the info about Amicks location, I should have looked based on his user, uwharrie. Thats where all the jeep guys go around here. I'm in Matthews which is only an hour and half or so away. I'll head up there and take a look at the dolmars and see what used ones he may have as well. From what I'm reading so far, i'm liking the dolmar option more and more. But he has them all so i can do all my comparing in one location.

Are all the dolmars good? Sometimes i hear within a brand some of the smaller ones are not as good as the larger ones. I'm thinking the ps34 is all i need.

Thanks again for all the replies :chainsawguy:

johnnyb321;778840 Are all the dolmars good? Sometimes i hear within a brand some of the smaller ones are not as good as the larger ones. I'm thinking the ps34 is all i need. Thanks again for all the replies :chainsawguy:[/QUOTE said:
For a small saw you just can't beat a Dolmar/Makita DCS401. I have one and it's very well built and better HP/weight then others in it's class. I also have a Stihl MS180 and previously had an 021. I think the Dolmar is better made.

The best Dolmars IMHO are DCS401, PS5100, and PS7900 and I think they're best of class in their segments. If you need a lot of handholding from a local dealer then Dolmars can be an issue. If all you need is occasional parts then it's no big deal - they're easy to get shipped. I can't even get Stihl parts locally since the local dealer doesn't stock much more then spark plugs and fuel line.

Forget about the dolmars. Buy a Stihl. There's a reason stihl dealers don't budge off the DSRP. They don't have to ! Get a 170 and in ten years you will stihl be glad you spent the extra cash. And you will stihl have a chain saw that works.

A 170 is a toy. Nothing wrong with Stihl's, but the 7900 and 5100 are a fair bit better than any of the comparable Stihls......I'm talking the saws, not the company. My guess is, Dolmar will still be around in 10 years, as they started making saws about the same time as did Stihl, though their distribution may still be lacking.

To answer your question, the little Dolmars kick ass... They are better than the 170, better power to weight and less plastic covering the case, you can actually see the material the case is made of on the PS401. I love that saw, and the compression release really helps when you are laying under a shrub and need to start the saw.

The little Stihls are home owner saws, they are totally different than the little MS200T that you may have seen ,that is a pro saw that is built like there big saws, huge crank bearings by comparison to the other small Stihl saws. You do not want a top handle saw.

Stihl is not the same saw across the spectrum, not the same by a long shot.
:monkey:

To answer your question, the little Dolmars kick ass... They are better than the 170, better power to weight and less plastic covering the case, you can actually see the material the case is made of on the PS401. I love that saw, and the compression release really helps when you are laying under a shrub and need to start the saw.

The little Stihls are home owner saws, they are totally different than the little MS200T that you may have seen ,that is a pro saw that is built like there big saws, huge crank bearings by comparison to the other small Stihl saws. You do not want a top handle saw.

Stihl is not the same saw across the spectrum, not the same by a long shot.
:monkey:

So is the Dol/Mak dcs401 a pro saw with the beefed up parts?? Looking at a saw in this category to compliment my ms361 but want a small saw. Looking at this saw and the echo 346.

So is the Dol/Mak dcs401 a pro saw with the beefed up parts?? Looking at a saw in this category to compliment my ms361 but want a small saw. Looking at this saw and the echo 346.

Look at the PS-510 also dude. It's a 12lb saw, 3.2hp, I LOVE mine... I think if you try one, you take it home without even having to think about it... :cheers:

Anything that's labelled (PS) with Dolmar, Pro Series...

Look at the PS-510 also dude. It's a 12lb saw, 3.2hp, I LOVE mine... I think if you try one, you take it home without even having to think about it... :cheers:

Anything that's labelled (PS) with Dolmar, Pro Series...

already have a 12# saw lookin for a 9# or less saw and if I was lookin for another it would be the 5100 and its 1# lighter than the 510 and 0.6 bhp more so whats so much better about the 510????

The Dolmar 401 is a true pro saw, only small.

The design is a bit old, but I would rather have that, than the added weight of the new 420.......

Thanks for all the replies on this...I'm leaning towards the dolmar but Amicks has both stihl and dolmar so i'll go compare them.

I wish they still made saws like my old homelite super xl where the handle started on top but curved down to the back and had triggers on top and around on the back side so you could use either one. I liked the fact i could use it one handed if i was reaching to cut a small limb but if i was cutting a log the back position is there. Seems like the saws now have either or but not both.

Carefull handling a chainsaw with one hand. Kickback is an awful thing. Check out threads on Personal Protective Equipment.

Dolmar Parts

I was at a recent trade show & the Dolmar guys were explaining that Dolmar was brought to the US 3 years ago by a group of Briggs & Stratton guys.

So.....he said that you can order Dolmar parts from any shop that deals in Briggs & Stratton parts. If that's the case then they may actually be easier to get than parts for Stihl, Husky, etc...

I was at a recent trade show & the Dolmar guys were explaining that Dolmar was brought to the US 3 years ago by a group of Briggs & Stratton guys.

So.....he said that you can order Dolmar parts from any shop that deals in Briggs & Stratton parts. If that's the case then they may actually be easier to get than parts for Stihl, Husky, etc...

the IDN (B&S dist system) Took over distribution to the Dolmar line almost 3 years ago Aug. 05' before that there were independent distributors all over the US and Canada not that the Old Distribution Worked it did in certain markets but not wide spread. Now the IDN guys and gals have things moving forward pretty well but there will still be snags here and there. Myself I have had no problems since 1979 when we started selling the Dolmar line but then again we were committed to take care of business and that we did. I know Ive helped alot of AS members get ahold of items they had issues getting before and in time the IDN guys and gals will take this ball and run with it.
So yes you may be able to access parts from any B&S dealer but not all B&S dealers will have reg dealer pricing and knowledge of the line.

Scott

Last edited:
Back