Best Loaner Story

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will only loan my saws to my father inlaw, and one or two friends. They are all very anal about taking of their saws, just like me. My next door neighbor wanted to borrow one of my saws, I cut the tree down for him!.

I don't loan saws either because of all the reasons listed. My neighbors always have a smart comment when it's 90' out and I'm cutting or splitting. Last December when we had a ice storm and lost power we had a lot of humble neighbors begging wood. I let them but still no chainsaw loaning. I've also cut down a nieghbors tree instead of loaning my saws.:chainsaw:

I loan saws but you get my el cheapo saw if its loaned. If you take the operator too you get the best of stash which would be my stihls 170/290. I did however let one guy take a saw for a week came back looking just the way it left. In fact he didnt even un-case it. Never again though i love that saw too much to part with it.

I don't mind loaning my 026 to someone who knows how to use a saw. I richen up a little and insist they use nothing but my mix. I won't lend out a ported saw. I don't borrow saws because I can't afford to replace one if things gou south.

I've posted this before.
Few years ago my then next door neighbor asked to borrow a saw., no, but what for, I might do it for you. 'cutting roots out around a stump to remove it'. I don't think so........
so he said guess he would have to use his father in laws saw, which saw at that moment was sitting in said neighbors garage......

he may be have been brash but not stupid.

i will loan anything i have to my brother. well, except my wife. as a matter of fact either my 7900 or 7901 are in the back of his truck right now. we swap tools, lunches, work around the places, and never is a dime exchanged or a time card checked. we know it will be a wash in the end.
nobody else borrows a chainsaw. as many others have mentioned, you can borrow the saw and the operator, but only as a package deal.

After you see someone with your saw using a 'sawing' motion, the urge to be helpful fades immediately. Tools can be replaced, but I'd hate to have it on my conscience that I contributed to a permanent injury.

That said, my 017 is mine in name only. It pretty much lives at my FIL's. He's had 2 bypasses and much of what he's cutting for his stove is less than 12" - mostly stuff pre-felled or deadfall. Perfect saw for him.

dang, you are cheap...LOL.

I had a Husky 42 as a loaner saw until I sold it. Now it's a Stihl 08S : slow cutter but pretty undestructible, even for a BIL...
chain sharpening gets paid in beer, lots of it....:givebeer:

He was happier than heck, as he had been using a hand saw! I told him if he wants something of his own I'd find him an 024/026/028 down the road.

I had a Husky(sig line) Rancher manual oiler it was a Walkerized saw .I rescued it from a pawnshop. I took it into walkers saw shop and verifed it,it checked out! I put a 16 inch bar and a new chain.I had this saw for about 8 years with lots of use!

I loaned it to a buddy,with a can of my special mix/bar oil . I gave him a pre flight check list.He was bucking up an old hemlock/doug fir that was sitting in his barn for many years nice and dry and like iron. He remembered the part to push the oiler every "5 steamboats". He ran out of the first tank,then filled it with his straight A100LL . His wife called him for dinner,went out the next day to finish the cutting. The next day he fired up the saw and started the cut ,forgetting the "5 steamboats" he saw some smoke so he leaned into it harder then he heard a loud screech and a bang .Saw quit he pulled it out of the wood and tried to pull the cord.locked up.I guess he had a few choice words to himself. He then drove over he said it was the longest 5 minute drive. James knocks on the door,I sort had a hunch why he was standing there,kinda like when the police knock on the door to deliver bad news.In he steps and delivers the news. It was like a kick to the "berries" with steel toed work boot. I pulled it apart knowing this aint good the con rod twisted 90 degrees and split the jug!
Being the buddy that he is will replace it with another new Walker saw.Unfortunately has fallen on a bit of hard times due to his mental illness.James is turning around again for the positive so he will be back at work soon.

Note to self:

This is my chainsaw. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My chainsaw is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My chainsaw, without me, is useless. Without my chainsaw, I am useless. I must use my chainsaw cut true. I must cut straighter than anybody who is trying to beat me. I must out cut him before he out cuts me. I will....

My chainsaw and myself know that what counts in this world is not the rounds we buck, the noise of our saws, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the cuts that count. We will cut...

My chainsaw is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will love it as a brother. I will learn its weakness, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its bar and its chain. I will keep my chainsaw clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...

Before God I swear this creed. My chainsaw and myself are the defenders of my heat. We are the masters of our trees. We are the saviors of my life(beaten by wife!). So be it, until victory is ours and there is no enemy, but Peace.

After you see someone with your saw using a 'sawing' motion, the urge to be helpful fades immediately.

You mean like this guy??

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NlXuHh6CoJE&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NlXuHh6CoJE&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

(I'm particularly impressed with how long it takes him to cut #2, which is all of 4" in diameter - if that!)

-=[ Grant ]=-

i will loan anything i have to my brother.

I won't even loan my saw to my brother. Back in 1984 I turned over my firewood business to my brother who runs it to this day. I left him all manner of stuff (F800 truck, Farmi skidding winch, two woodsplitters, gobs of hand tools and ~$500 worth of logging chains and skidding gear) but NOT my Stihl 051AV chainsaw! That came with me. It got about a ~10 year vacation and tour of the Midwest, but now she is back to working for me. I am about to buy a 660 and put them together and see if they mate and see if she cranks out some limbing chainsaws.

GrantC, that was good. There is truth in the statement "stupid can't be fixed". It's even hard to watch. My son comes running to the computer everytime he hears a chainsaw on it, after a few seconds he asks "what is he doing"? I reply I'm not really sure, he shakes his head and walks off. Loved it.

You mean like this guy??

-=[ Grant ]=-

I think they're the same guy.

The guy who put me off almost hurt two people. Himself and another onlooker.

Were clearing siteline from a tent on a bluff down to a marsh where the deer wet their whistle. Told the other guy to move about 10 seconds before the maple fell 180° in the exact opposite of the intended direction, right where he was standing.

This is an interesting thread, because it is opposite for me. I'm the one borrowing and fixing...

My Dad has an early '80's 024av. It is a great saw. But he is rough on it. Fortunately not on the powerhead per say. But, every time I borrow it, it gets a new bar, or new chain, or both... And tuned and put back together. And cleaned. And fresh gas mix. This last time, it would not start. He said he just used it recently. Turns out, the fuel hose had rotted... He had not used it recently...

It is funny, because he bought an inexpensive small Poulan, because he was having problems with the Stihl.

I have the Stihl now; I won't give it back till he really needs it. And then, I will probably do the cutting for him this time so he does not hurt this fine old saw.

I have never loaned my Husky's out. Mostly because the people I know who need to cut wood, have their own, or ask for my help, not just my saw. My little 335xpt has never been loaned. I would not loan out my other saw, an 1100cd; it is big and I fear would be more than most people could handle, especially if they have to borrow.

My homelite 150 is my loaner to trusted family or friends. I got it free.

Iv only lent it once for 3 cuts.

I just go and cut will never let anyone drop anything with my saws.

i loaned a husky 51 to a friend for a few weeks, he said " if i kill it, i will give you my 2100."
i still don't own a 2100. but the 51 got super clean, and a new chain.

You mean like this guy??

(I'm particularly impressed with how long it takes him to cut #2, which is all of 4" in diameter - if that!)

-=[ Grant ]=-

By the third minute I got worried the guy was going to hurt himself. How the heck he's never induced a kickback wagging around and cutting a tree in the air under pressure like that is beyond me. Loved the random, "weekend warrior" approach to things, not!

Last edited:
Back