best of the best 70cc saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have a local saw nut or dealer that has a Dolmar 7900, give it a spin. You can't go wrong with the Stihl 440 or 460, check out the 441 also. If I were looking at a husky, the 375 wood be my choice. I have not ran a 7900 or 375 but the guys here love 'em. I have a few hours behind a Jred 2171(like the 372) and it was a nice saw but then traded it for a even nicer 044.:D

Hey 2000, I was wondering when you were going to pop up in this thread.

You should buy a 757. That's the best. Oh I have one I'm going to sell with a 24" bar. Man did you hit the jackpot.

Scott

i doubt ill ever own a 361 just beacuse....

i have ran a 7900 before like i said it flat out screams, but i agree i consider it a 80 cc saw.

some of you know about my mom and her illness from a thread i put up a while back. i talked to her today for a bit and im gonna have to put the new saw on the back burner for a few weeks anyway (at least till i get my tax check) she got the news this week that she cant drive anymore when shes on her medication. so that means she cant work anymore, they told her shes officially retired. this seemed to bother her some as to be expected anyway. but shes gonna file for disability but that can take months they told her. so im gonna take over her jeep payment and a few other things to do what i can to help out. enough about that anyway....

hopefully the 066 gets here before winters over lol. but looks like ill get some time on that before i get to get another saw. im definatly gettin another just gonna be a few more weeks.

stupid question the 066 and the 660 are basicly the same saw correct? they just changed the names from 066 046 etc to 660 and 460 or is my absorbsed stihl knowledge inaccurate?

I hope things work out for you mom.

I own a 044, 372xp and the 7900. IMO the 044, 372xp and 7900 is like the Harley, the crotch rocket and the dragster.

The 044 is slower than the 372xp, but is better built. It better be because parts will cost ya for the Stihl. The 7900 is fast, but IMO is the ugliest and doesn't have the style the 044 has. The 044 seems better built out of the 3 but mod a 372xp and it's comes to life. My 372xp after the mods feels like a minture 395xp.
The 372xp is a tank you can beat the crap of it and it keeps going. I use to per fer my stock 044 out of the three, but after the mods I per fer my 372xp now.

I can tell you now don't get a 7900. Because it will make your 066 disappointing. My modded 7900 doesn't seem too far behind my stock 066.
But I'm not going to lie to you. I've never been impressed with my 066.

Too bad your not closer. I let you try the saw out and judge for yourself. Because no matter what anyone says you can't go wrong with either saw. It just a preference game.

well i hope i really like the 066. hopefully this site hasnt built it up in my mind better than it actually is. i think im gonna shoot for the 36" bar on it. i was entertaining the 42 but id prolly never use a bar that big. as it is i think that saw is gonna wear the 25" 90% of the time if not more. i checked baileys and called a few dealers. its actually cheaper for me to buy a stihl bar from the dealer then to get one at baileys. thats not even considering shipping. they have to order it but thats no big deal i think it was 76 bucks.

well i hope i really like the 066. hopefully this site hasnt built it up in my mind better than it actually is. i think im gonna shoot for the 36" bar on it. i was entertaining the 42 but id prolly never use a bar that big. as it is i think that saw is gonna wear the 25" 90% of the time if not more. i checked baileys and called a few dealers. its actually cheaper for me to buy a stihl bar from the dealer then to get one at baileys. thats not even considering shipping. they have to order it but thats no big deal i think it was 76 bucks.

I'll bet you like the 066. I don't really hate mine. I just don't think it's the powerhouse that some claim they are.
I'll bet I'd like my 066 better if I didn't have a 3120xp to compare it too. Heck I want more power out of my 3120xp. I have plans to remove the limiter crap and port my 3120xp hopefully by summer.
When you get you 066 I'd be interested to hear you opinions of it. A lot of people here love the 066.

the is no love for the 575.

Wheres the love for the 575?

Also, Homelite 450.

i never met anyone who loved them.i used one and i didn't love it.guy who owned it tried my 372 and i didn't think i'd ever get him to let go of it.

In terms of time proven reliability the 372. Otherwise the 441, personally i prefer the balance of the 441 to the 372 hence I own a 441.

As i said in the 441 thread, I dont think the comparison of the heavyer yet tourqyer 575 to the 440/441/372 is a fair one.

Back