Best Oil Mixture for old saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mix 2 quarts of water w/ 5 gallons of RUG in a clear container with a drain valve in the bottom of it. Shake it up good, come back tomorrow, you'll see a clear separation between the two, the gas is on top.

Drain it!

Done.

I used to buy ethanol free, it was a 15 mile drive (as opposed to the 8 minute walk to my local station), but the station that provided it finally stopped doing so.

That's a slick trick! Now to make it even slicker, you need to come up with *some* liquid fuel device that would be OK to run on the ethanol water mixture you have drained out. Anything at all you might use, that could be modified so it is designed on purpose to run alky, even watered down alky.

Sorry, but what is a plain bearing? Roller? Needle? Bushings?

The internal face of the big-end bore of the rod is part of the simple journal bearing, sometimes with cast-in insert of bronze; crank-pin is the other. (Some Jacobsen 2-strokes had simple 2-piece aluminum rods, with only oil separating rod from crank-pin.)

Well, actually the film of oil in between them is supposed to be the bearing.

This is similar to (most) automotive bottom-end bearings, but without bearing insert shells.

Check out Clinton D-25. None of these engines would ever be found running much above 3500 rpm.

That's a slick trick! Now to make it even slicker, you need to come up with *some* liquid fuel device that would be OK to run on the ethanol water mixture you have drained out. Anything at all you might use, that could be modified so it is designed on purpose to run alky, even watered down alky.

Well, for starters, I run on watered down alky (whiskey and beer).

But regarding machines, just distill the mixture and get a carbureted rig and go for it!

Me too, with one exception. My McCulloch 1-40 uses some of the engine oil to oil the bar so you have to mix a little thick...

Whoa, I didn't realize there was a 1-40 that did that. I thought only the first run of D-33's used the scavenging system and then it was discontinued, but I'm not going to claim I know everything.

Whoa, I didn't realize there was a 1-40 that did that. I thought only the first run of D-33's used the scavenging system and then it was discontinued, but I'm not going to claim I know everything.

Yeah, mine has the bar oiler actuator thing you push beside the oil tank way up front. I was wondering why they put it up there, so unhandy and someone told me it wasn't used much because of the scavenging system and the fuel/oil ratio, something like 12:1. I don't mix it that rich though, I use about 20:1 or so.

Yeah, mine has the bar oiler actuator thing you push beside the oil tank way up front. I was wondering why they put it up there, so unhandy and someone told me it wasn't used much because of the scavenging system and the fuel/oil ratio, something like 12:1. I don't mix it that rich though, I use about 20:1 or so.

Huh. Well thanks for the reply, I guess I learned my new fact of the day.

attachment.php
View attachment 227397

If I did it right, here's a pic of the Mac 1-40 with the front oiler button, it's right below the oil cap.

any ideas what you would run a Dolmar PS6800i on. I've been told either 25.1 or 50.1.

it will be used infrequently, but when its used, it takes a hammering.

Back