Best Small Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl MS260. Husky 353, 346XP. Jonsered 2152. They're all good quality saws. Go handle them and go from there. Good luck and let us know! :cheers:

The MS260 is a reliable old workhorse, but hardly a candidate for any "best" title these days.:biggrinbounce2:

here's my 346xp with a 14" dime tip carving bar and 1/4 pitch chain. It's almost funny to watch this thing cut pine, plenty of power in a small package.

attachment.php

Last edited:
my "please don't laugh too hard" Mac 335, cost £50 when 8 months old, starts second pull from cold every time, and does everything i need in a saw, so to me it is the best small saw.:rockn:

346xp with modded exhaust. It's a screamer, has plenty of power for a 16 inch bar, runs 20" if you're willing to wait, and sips the gas and oil. Loud as a banshee though.

Everyone who touches it love it (If they're using it for what it's intended, stuff under 14" diameter.

Wish list for 346: Inboard clutch. Not a big deal, but it would be nice.

What sub 50cc saw would you say is the absolute best?
Since my 'large' saw is a 50cc 5100S, my sense of what a small saw is is perhaps a bit different than previous posters. I just got a Dolmar PS-401 with 14" b/c and am very impressed with it. Very strong for a 40cc saw. I don't know about you, but I spend alot more time limbing than felling, and this thing is a joy to limb with, lighter and MUCH faster than my old 011. I'm now fully Dolmar-ized... ;)

Last edited:
I'm surprised the 346xp has shown so well here. Is this due to the 5100 losing favor, or are we calling it "out of class" because it's right at 50cc?

Love the 346.

The MS260 is a reliable old workhorse, but hardly a candidate for any "best" title these days.:biggrinbounce2:

What if "best" = "reliable old workhorse" to some? Then it would be the best to that person, right? These threads are 100% subjective and simply demonstrate the variety of taste and needs of many individuals. My old 42cc Craftsman saw was the best for me at the time because I picked it up for $30 and it did what I asked of it for 6 years (and counting, but it's simply the beatersaw now).

Last edited:
I'm sure the Husqvarnas are faster but I am very impressed with my Echo CS370. Super comfortable, starts perfect every time, plenty of power with a nice wide power band. In a race it would be Husky, for a long day I would sure want my Echo. I hope you guys give one a try, they are a real pleasure to run.

It's hard to beat the 346. The 026 would be better if it wasn't so restricted in the airbox.
Check out the 026 Arctic that's running shotgun.
John

which20way20to20the20beach.jpg

husky 246 and shindaiwa 488. The husky is faster but they are both a joy to cut with.

If you are climbing trees like I do and you've already got a good limbing saw in the 60cc range (036), hands down its the MS200T. :rockn: If you need a superb saw for ground work the MS200. :rock: Same saw but with a rear handle.

Can't go wrong with the Husky xp's that have been mentioned but 200T has my vote for single best sub-50cc saw. I don't have the patience to buck with an 026 class saw. If my 200T ain't cuttin' it, I go right for the 036 (larger limbs and cutting tops). You can work it all day without getting tired. When I get to cutting anything over 16" to 18", I'm going to pull out the 660 and :chainsaw:

No? Then why does Stihl continue to sell so many of them? Obviously there are quite a few people out there that think a MS260 is the best saw in it's class. When I buy a 50cc class saw, it's probably going to be either a 353 or 346XP. Mostly because I like my 365, like my dealer so far and would like to get another Husky. But I'm not going to knock the MS260 one bit! :biggrinbounce2:

No? Then why does Stihl continue to sell so many of them? Obviously there are quite a few people out there that think a MS260 is the best saw in it's class. When I buy a 50cc class saw, it's probably going to be either a 353 or 346XP. Mostly because I like my 365, like my dealer so far and would like to get another Husky. But I'm not going to knock the MS260 one bit! :biggrinbounce2:

I am not knocking the 026/MS260, I actually like it - but its haydays were over a few years ago, when the 346xp appeared (1999), with much better air filter system and vibe-dampening ++........;)

Last edited:
Husky 346 or the Dolmar 5100!!!

So the 5100 is a little over 50cc................so what!!!:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Yeah, but it could probably be detuned to run as slow as the 346 right?:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back