Best Sounding Saw - Help Spend My Money

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bp-1

I'll second the nomination for the Mac BP-1 :heart: . It is its' own animal. Very quick revving. I've never cut with a 250, but I do have a PM-850 in the shed that needs oiler work. I believe it is 80cc's or so like the 250. What little I've messed with it, it seems to be a screamer that I need to spend some shop time with.

Scooterbum:
I need to take you up on your offer of a mini GTG. You bring your 5100, and I'll bring the BP. Between weather and work, I'm not sure how to schedule it though...

catskinr and scooterbum, that will be a good match between the 5100 and the BP. If the BP has some good modern chain, it might beat the 5100 in 14-16" wood. The BP is rated at 4hp. The BP is handicapped in small wood due to the gear reduction. The BP is only 44cc.
Scott

Stihl 041

The 041 gets my vote!

Second place falls to my old Montgomery ward. Not sure what the displacement was, but it was larger than the 041.

I will also have to agree on the old Remington's (mall's). I have a SL-5 that I run every couple of years or so just to remind myself why I don't cut with 26 pound saws.... There is something to be said about a 5 cube engine and it's sound. The saw is lots-o-torque. :greenchainsaw:

-Pat

sounds like fun !

Iv alwaz wanted a mac 895 and a 125 or 727-jus never seen any for sale

Remington 754 Super on ebay

You want a old time sounding running saw. 754 Super runs and idles nice on Ebay with bid at $21.50. That will rattle yer fillings.

UPDATE:

I finally picked up a Remington PL-5, and am looking forward to having some fun with it. Hopefully it sounds as good as I remember. I should be able to run it a bit this coming weekend.

Out of curiosity, for those who have run this saw, is there any good reason to run .404" on this 66cc saw? Mike Acres' site indicated that these saws ran .404", but mine is set up with 3/8"; the later, but similar in design/displacement, Remington Logger ran 3/8". I suspect that there's no *good* reason, but I thought I'd ask in case there was some secret knowledge out there on the topic.

UPDATE:

I finally picked up a Remington PL-5, and am looking forward to having some fun with it. Hopefully it sounds as good as I remember. I should be able to run it a bit this coming weekend.

Out of curiosity, for those who have run this saw, is there any good reason to run .404" on this 66cc saw? Mike Acres' site indicated that these saws ran .404", but mine is set up with 3/8"; the later, but similar in design/displacement, Remington Logger ran 3/8". I suspect that there's no *good* reason, but I thought I'd ask in case there was some secret knowledge out there on the topic.
I don't know anything about you saw, is it gear reduction? I noticed allot of older gear reduction saws run big chain. Maybe the metal was not as good back then?I have some really old .404 and 1/2'' chain at home and I find it is soft compared to new chain.By the way my Big Mac sounds real mean!

Last edited:
None I know of.

UPDATE:

Congrats
I have the Logger, PL5, and PL4, and others. Addiction you understand. Anyway my Logger has 20 inch 3/8". Only problem I know of the Remingtons is the pressurized tank oiling system. Nobody has the one way valve to pressurize the tank on them I know of. Now watch this bunch tell where to get them.

Hello everyone...great thread as there are plently of great sounding saws.
my vote has to go to a saw I recently aquired, not a popular saw but a pretty cool saw,at least in my mind, my choice is my mid '60s Partner TS.
A very distinctive sound I must say.Have a great day.

As far as "cool sounding",nothing beats a reed valve Mac running at speed.The 125 takes them all,sweet,power,hoo-rah.

Latest posts

Back