Best splitter for $1500-1800?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if the Northern is $300 more, then add another $100+ for hydraulic and engine oil. they are sold dry. can you pickup both without shipping charges? that was a deal breaker for me...

real soon folks in Okla will have a Northern store and TSC. otherwise closest Northern store is in Dallas. TSC is 60 miles away in Pryor, OK.

been keeping an eye out for a used TW-5 Timberwolf ... seems everyone that pops up are on the east coast.

There is a Northern Tool about 20 min away. The 22t Northstar is on sale for 1,299, so I guess they are compensating for oil. I checked and the Huskee and Northstar both have 13sec cycle times.

I would not get in the habit of recommending the Troy-Bilt to anyone, namely for these reasons.

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/173407.htm

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/174531.htm

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/174880.htm

********** | Wood Stoves, Fireplace, Pellet Stoves, Gas Stoves and More - Forums!

Troy-Bilt Safety alert: log splitter - Router Forums

want me to keep going?
Will certainly not recommend this splitter again!!! Very sorry for you situation! I guess I've just been lucky. This splitter was originally endorsed to me online by a guy down in South Carolina that sold Chinese splitters and bought one of the TB"s for his own use. Hope you get it straightened out! If you lived by here you could use mine or my father's for sure. The old TB was a reputable Co., but now know not to trust MTD. Unreal!!

without shipping... looks like it's a wash... both will serve you well!

There is a Northern Tool about 20 min away. The 22t Northstar is on sale for 1,299, so I guess they are compensating for oil. I checked and the Huskee and Northstar both have 13sec cycle times.

I just picked up a 35ton huskee at TSC. They had $100 off and no interest for a year over Labor Day. I think it ended up being cheaper than direct from Speeco. Speeco adds $100 to the price if you need a residential delivery.

I have used a 35 ton Huskee before. The new one is comparable to the 20 year old one I had been using. I will say that the fender is pretty much worthless. Completely destroyed it after about a half cord. Also, the exhaust deflector fell off after the first hour of use. Gotta put that back on. Like everyone says, tighten up everything on delivery. I am looking forward to alot of splitting. Just went thru 1.5 cords of wet Oak for a few years from now.

splitter

can some one explain how a husky splitter with a12.5 hp does 35 tons when my tw6 with a18 hp and 22gpm does only 28 am i dumb

Thanks for the replies! I read that the 35T Huskee from TSC has a 16 sec or 18 sec cycle time, not 12. Is this a big difference for a casual user?

My 35-ton Huskee and those currently sold at TSC are rated at 15s cycle time. Most of the time it's just as fast as I am in a one person operation, but I wouldn't want to go any slower.

briggs vertical

I have been looking at the TS 22ton and the Northern 22 ton. The Northern is $300 more, but has a honda with horizontal shaft. The TS has a briggs vertical shaft. I believe the Northern has a faster cycle time.

Having a briggs vertical means you can pick up used running spare engines all winter long for a hundred bucks, or free for the hauling off and doing some small repairs (used riding lawn mowers or big push mowers)

can some one explain how a husky splitter with a12.5 hp does 35 tons when my tw6 with a18 hp and 22gpm does only 28 am i dumb

The tonage rating on a splitter has nothing to do with the size of the engine or pump, it's the size of the cylinder that the tons are rated on.
You could have a 35 ton splitter with a 5 hp engine and an 11 gpm pump. But it would be really slow.

Andy

Don't go by unloaded cycle times, they are not real world. I've had 4", 4 1/2", and 5" bore splitters and the bigger bore the better.

The 4 1/2" 27T TB took 5-10 seconds extra on tough splits. It didn't split everything. It seeped oil from the ram fitting if I pushed it hard. The 5hp Honda was quiet and fuel efficient.

The 35T Speeco was on sale for $1550. a couple of years ago from TSC and it gets it done. Watch for a sale and lean on the manager for a better price.

35 ton speeco has a huge mongo cylinder mated to a measly 16gpm pump. that's why it gets 16 second cycle times. at least that's how fast mine is. correct me if I'm wrong, speeco uses a 6 in diameter vs Timberwolf TW-5 uses a 5in diameter cylinder.

Timberwolf is conservative about ratings vs low priced splitters like Speeco and Northern play a ratings game, aiming for a different client base who may not have a clue about what a real pro splitter like TW-5 and TW-6 are equipped.

35 ton of force is overkill ... would rather have lower tonage gaining speed.

Last edited:
For myself I would rather spend the extra money and buy a Super Split. Their prices may start at $2300+ but I look at the time spent splitting vs waiting for a conventional splitter to cycle. Besides, most people I know that have large log splitters usually have them for a long time, if they're reliable. The only upgrade after that would be for faster cycle time. IMO of course.

Huskee 35 Ton

I'd recommend the 35 ton Huskee. I have split everything I've been able to set in front of the ram. I don't try to abuse my machine but it will certainly do the job.

If you can catch them on sale at TSC and use a 10% coupon you'll save quite a bit of money. They will fill the hydraulic tank for you.

I've heard some members mention TSC had even given them an extra 2-1/2 gallon container of oil. They gave me one extra container too.

Nosmo

supersplit is a fine splitter and certainly among the fastest for production work.
but I'm not doing production work.

big gnarly oaks ...nah ... 35ton Speeco rules. handles busting up 4ft diameter rounds with ease. has NEVER seen a chunk of wood that would stop it. 35 ton just squats a bit then either busts through or shears through.

35 ton Speeco might see 10-15 cords a season between me and loaning it out to friends. in this case being dog slow (16 sec) has an advantage ... most anyone can be trusted to operate a speeco 35 ton.

actually exaggerating about how slow 16 second cycles times are. splitting more than a cord or two per session is plenty for me.

for handling BIG gnarly 3ft + diameter rounds. Speeco 35 ton rules the low $$$ splitter category. to put things in perspective the TW-6 Timberwolf mentioned above costs about $9,000. And is just about the NICEST splitter made. been wanting a TW-5 for some time. when the right deal comes along, I'd like to have one too.

TW-5.jpg

For myself I would rather spend the extra money and buy a Super Split. Their prices may start at $2300+ but I look at the time spent splitting vs waiting for a conventional splitter to cycle. Besides, most people I know that have large log splitters usually have them for a long time, if they're reliable. The only upgrade after that would be for faster cycle time. IMO of course.

Last edited:
Will certainly not recommend this splitter again!!! Very sorry for you situation! I guess I've just been lucky. This splitter was originally endorsed to me online by a guy down in South Carolina that sold Chinese splitters and bought one of the TB"s for his own use. Hope you get it straightened out! If you lived by here you could use mine or my father's for sure. The old TB was a reputable Co., but now know not to trust MTD. Unreal!!

I got the TB straightened out alright. I found one on Craigslist with a blown engine and pump problems, pulled the cylinder off of it, and swapped it onto mine after rebuilding the carriage that held the cylinder.Painted it up nice, stuck a $700 price tag on it, and sold it on craigslist. Sold the carcass of the donor splitter for scrap and came out even on what I paid for it, and dropped that $700 on a new Speeco 35 ton. If things work out like I plan, I plan on buying two more speecos and putting two guys to work full time splitting for me. Got a deal for a large tract of land to be cleared that is going to end up supplying me with over three hundred oak tops.

Splitter problem resolved

I got the TB straightened out alright. I found one on Craigslist with a blown engine and pump problems, pulled the cylinder off of it, and swapped it onto mine after rebuilding the carriage that held the cylinder.Painted it up nice, stuck a $700 price tag on it, and sold it on craigslist. Sold the carcass of the donor splitter for scrap and came out even on what I paid for it, and dropped that $700 on a new Speeco 35 ton. If things work out like I plan, I plan on buying two more speecos and putting two guys to work full time splitting for me. Got a deal for a large tract of land to be cleared that is going to end up supplying me with over three hundred oak tops.

Fantastic, that's great news! Way to rebound. Now I'm wondering about my TB. Have had a few problems with it. Cradle bolts keep busting. Replaced 4 bolts already and had to straighten them out a few times. Also my fathers had same problem. Has same splitter. Filters are expensive, not marked so you have to buy their's. And changing Hfluid is a real pain! But I'm on the lookout for problems and told my father who is a Master Mechanic, having worked for American Airlines for 27 years.

Again real glad you resolved the situation. It's guys like you that make this Site great!

splitter

i want to thank redprospecter and 046 on the splitter i think the most importen thing in splitting wood is the log lift if you are young be careful of your back my tw6 is the best spitter i ever bought the supper split is super fast tried one stupid fast i cant kep up but no log lift i get 2 3 4 foot dia logs from tree serv so speed and no log lift is no good for me

Breaking or Bending Bolts

I'm going to suggest a harder bolt just in case you are not using them. Tractor Supply has a good assortment of #5 and #8 hardened nuts, bolts and washers.

If you are not using them - then trying a hardened bolt may solve the bending problem.

Nosmo

Speedco has a new splitter.Its a rack and pinion splitter like the super split but only 1699 and its tow able!!!!:blob2::blob2:

I have read so many threads aboutthe tsc splitters and just felt the need to chime in.

I ended up building over buying as I wanted something different. ( I built a 3pt stand alone unit with a 4x30 cylinder, and kubota diessel, using all prince hydraulics and parts on hand) This being said I leaned heavily towards a tsc/speeco splitter.

First step.. google tractor supply discounts... usually can find a 10% off code to print out... Also if you are Military( I am) you may talk to manager at store if not near a base... They support the troops, will usually grant a 10% of purchase with an id card.. Only will get one discount though..
I will say that hands down in their respective price point ( under 1799 in most areas for a 35ton, usually around 900 for the 22 ton they cannot be beat)

A few tips,
While inside tsc go to the hardware section and grab some grade 8 hardware, bolts nuts, washers lock washer etc. Go down another isle and get blue lock tight(service removable), and liquid pipe sealant. Go over everything ( lines fittings get liquid pipe tape, all bolts and nuts get blue lock tite, to include the engine mounts,before using it. Replace bolts as you think needed, use lock tight and the heavier washers and such.. It is a good idea, It will save you time in the long run, and overall you can get familiar with the machine. Check all fluids, run the briggs engine for a little while, idle , then spin it up under zero load. Shut it down and change the oil. Keep the oil clean and it should last a while... dont store it with fuel, the carbs are crap as are the floats and the ethanol fuel will mess with them in short time. Grease the inner area of the i beam that the wedge plate slides in, cheak it cloase for cracks, as that is a common problem area...

Everyone complains about the fenders, they are cheap. If you need them for your piece of mind and want something better than th efrmed plastic ones,, upgrade to jeep style trailer fenders and use the heavy L brackets they sell from national that are galvanized to fabricate fender mounts... they will be stronger, last longer .

while you are still in the store get another spider coupler insert, if eveything is not lined up at the factory it will blow apart at a rapid pace,, you will want a spare( they are 6 bucks)

Ask for additional oil to top it off when you buy it, usually they will throw some in for free. If not get some atf while you are doing the next step.

As to filters.. If you have an advance auto nearby, they sell hydraulic filters. You can get a 3/4 pipe thread fram filter for hydraulic oil not a car filter... for about 8 bucks. I advise running the splitter for a few hrs and changing filter, fluid should be ok but the filter will trap a bunch of initial gunk from manufacturing.. weld slag, paint/ rust . etc..

Also.. people debate engines all day long, I honestly would prefer a cheap harbor freight Honda clone over all but the I/C briggs.
Honda gx being my engin eof choice, but at this price point you would add 500 just for the honda if it were an option..
Upgrades..

Get on ebay... remove your 16 gpm pump,, you can sell it easily for 120 .. put that towards a 22 gpm pump.... seller
Junk from mytrunk has them all the time and is GTG in my book( I bought a 16 gpm and 22 recently from him)

Good luck

Latest posts

Back