Best way to move your TIP in the tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClimbMIT

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey Guys, Hoping to pick up a couple of jobs that I looked at already. On both jobs I will be removing 5 Loblolly Pines. The trees are from 10'-25' apart. I want to set my work line and then my climb line to the next tree so I can swing over after I get them topped. After they all are topped descend to the ground and drop the spars. Anyway I curious to see what works best for you guys? I was really impressed with this video I saw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v9f6isVx3E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This looks all good but also looks like it will take a good amount of practice. also allot more difficult in the tree. IMO. Your input is much appreciated!

Last edited:
thats pretty slick. looks like you would have to practice for a few hours to get it down and obstructions may be an issue but it would be a good tool to add to your climbing for sure. i may have to geek out on this for awhile.

Nah... there's a squirrel throwing the bag back to him.
It would be more realistic practice if he was leaning back on a safety. Still, nice demo vid.

It would be more realistic practice if he was leaning back on a safety. Still, nice demo vid.

Yes it crazy looking. I have the yella grapnel from Treestuff for grabbing your line after you reach your new TIP. It definetely looks easier. I will post a vid of it if I can find it.

It is so much easier on the ground but that is a great place to practice.

I have found it useful in the tree. In this vid at time 11:07 I am 65' in a white oak leaning back on my lanyard and make a shot on an angled branch about 15 or 20 feet away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV5muL-Ka8U

Grapnel is great too but you have to pay out 60' of line to make a 20' foot traverse.
There are other methods as well and I will try to post one soon.

This is a travers from a beech to a pine 60' away that I did using some of these techniques.
At time about 3:40 I am out on a branch between the two trees and you can see the climb lines for both directions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb_v-ufoDEI

I'm just learning and don't have it down to the point that it would be productive in the commercial setting but maybe as some point I will get there.

Smokey, I love your videos, but my advice is to get a groundie who is proficient with a bigshot and throw line. :msp_biggrin:

Smokey, I love your videos, but my advice is to get a groundie who is proficient with a bigshot and throw line. :msp_biggrin:

That is also a good point. That just gave me a better idea since I only have a ground person occasionally with me. I could just shoot several ropes and/or throwlines while I am on the ground before I go up. That is simple but one of those, "why didn't I think of that" kind of things. Thanks for posting!

It is so much easier on the ground but that is a great place to practice.

I'm sayin for more realistic practice, safety to a yard tree, swing set, light pole, mother in-law... whatever doesn't move. Just to remove the pitcher stance that won't be possible in the tree.

Nice videos Smokey, Do you compete? Your use of the chalk line winder is genius! I will be buying one soon. Do you actually use the line that comes with it? Why two together and not just one? Thanks for the responses in advance!
Mark

Nice videos Smokey, Do you compete?
Thanks Mark, I'll assume you are not just teasing me and take that as a compliment. In a timed event I could probably beat a sloth.
Your use of the chalk line winder is genius!
Can't take credit for that, it is a great solution for throw line management in the tree.
Do you actually use the line that comes with it? Why two together and not just one? Thanks for the responses in advance!
The line that comes with it is worthless for our use.
Why the two together? I think you mentioned you use a Grappnel, I don't own one and have not read the instructions on how to use one but I like the idea and I have a similar device. Anyway, you use it on a separate line right? I use the other winder for the hook.
As mentioned, if you use just one line with the grapnel attached, to move your TIP laterally 20' you would need to pay out 40' plus another 20'
With the option to use a separate line for the hook this can be done with less line. In fact with the two chalk lines I have been able to let the line out of one while reeling in the line on the other and never had slack line hanging down to get tangles. I use the red and yellow lines to keep it clear to me which is connected to the throw bag and which is on the hook.
Hope this makes since.
Richard

Last edited:
15 -20ft line advancement in tree. The throw line works slick on clearshots. Otherwise two or three poles with hook on end will do. Cut line advancement time by half in not so easy trees. So people ask where to hang pole when not in use. Tree when possible or on retreive line in SRT mode. Poles can be brought down from ground in this option.

Hey Richard, No I am not messing with ya :) I like how you show what your doing in your videos. I think I know what you mean with the grapnel. I haven't used mine much yet but I saw a video where you toss your throw bag over the limb that you will use to traverse. Let the throw bag hang down about half the distance from you to limb. Then get the end of your throw line and pass it through the center hole of your grapnel let the grapnel slide down the line with bag. The climber would have a length of throw line attached to the grapnel. At last allow the grapnel to hang down until it reaches the other side of branch and grabs the throw bag end. Pull on line attached to grapnel. Ok explaining that I think I understand why you have two chalk lines. Lol I need to practice on the ground: blushing

Of course this technique would not work if you are aiming to traverse vertically. Only horizontally I would think.

Latest posts

Back