best way to shorten split wood any contraptions or?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time is money. Even if you find/manufacture a process to get the job done you seek, you will have spent much time and energy achieving the result.

I suggest looking to either find someone to buy your wood or some sort of trade offer. The beauty of dealing is it's only limited to your imagination. I've often found solutions to a deal by being creative and thinking out of the box.

StihlRockin'

Put a short round by the foot plate of your splitter so you can cut clear through the splits and cut them with your splitter.

Or throw a bunch on a sheet of plywood and cut them in half with you chainsaw. Plywood will save your chain. Hold split in place with your foot, but don't cut it off!

Also I have see people use something like this to cut long pieces:
images

I have a friend I cut some of my Hickory firewood in two for him to use in his smoker. I useally get paid in pulled pork for my efforts. I use something simular to Amateur Hour's picture. I use a 24' bar, but the longer the bar the bigger stack you can cut at one time. works pretty good.

Pound in 4 T posts so that the space between them will be your cutoff point, so you have anything you want, cut in half, or perfect size and little pieces, whatever. Use 4 so you can stack it and it will hold the wood securely. Load it up and cut down the middle. Leave the bottom row for last so you don't hit dirt constantly.

Hard to hold/stabilize small pieces when cutting with a chainsaw, unless you have them stacked someway that they won't move while you cut.

If you have to pick them up anyway, easy to run them through a chop saw or running band saw with a coarse blade.

Philbert
Yup...that's what I would do...a couple seconds per chop saw cut, done. No worry about holding it for a chainsaw.

Keep in mind gentleman, he did specify he has some cords of wood. I too had some suggestions, then re-thought my reply because to putz with "cords" of wood trying to reduce a stick a few inches doesn't sound like fun to me... nor relaxing. If one has the time and would not mind the task ahead, by all means, enjoy.

SR'

IMO buzzing off small bits with either a chainsaw or any circular saw are just too dangerous, especially for CORDS of wood. C'mon.

BTDT with a table saw. That can be pretty stimulating on occasion. Chainsaw can launch chunks too, and wastes lots of wood -> chips.

Last couple years I've used a Grizzly bandsaw for recutting all my stove-wood, to 8" with my previous stove. 3-tpi band and 1 hp motor rips right through the wood, and should the wood bind for any reason, there's no drama, because it's sitting on the table. Not going to fly.
A $13 saw band lasts for a season. Of course, a quality bandsaw has lots of other uses; prices of same from Grizzly are very good.

Lots simpler than it sounds. I bring in a couple hundred pounds of 16-inchers on a cart from NT. Cart sits near bandsaw. I buzz maybe 25 lb at a time into a bag, and haul that near the stove. Over a season, the Shop-Vac hooked up to the bandsaw collected enough sawdust to fill a std 5-gal wastebasket. Hard to waste less wood than that. :heart:

Seems to me that re-cutting a couple of cord is no different than fresh cutting a couple of cord unless you keep stopping to think of the work already invested.

All my pieces are cut on a sawhorse with an adjustable stop. Pieces set against the stop are cut to length and fall to the ground with waste or long pieces remaining on the horse. I could cut as little as 1" off a piece with this and still be safe. If I had to shorten bunches of wood cut to the same length I'd make a firewood jig.

Several cords is a lot of wood to recut, any way you do it. If the wood still fits, well, try your new stove see if it works. You can build a holder device, or spend your time cutting new wood for the future to the correct size and just put up with what you have seasoned now until it is gone.

I resized some hickory splits this year to make cooking wood chunks, it was a PITA with a chop saw as a lot of them wouldn't fit the saw, too big, had to cut, flip it over, cut again, etc. Wound up having to both cut and resplit a lot of them smaller.

well I have a lot of split wood that is now too long for the new stove that was set in.whats the best way to resize it?any devices that can make it easier?I can fit them in east to west but prefer north south.probably several cords this way and hate to burn it east west as cannot fill it as full or tight.
thanks

so, you're gonna spend the next three months of weekends cutting off a couple inches of wood because you want them to lay north to south in your wood burner?
and, yet, they will fit east to west????

so, you're gonna spend the next three months of weekends cutting off a couple inches of wood because you want them to lay north to south in your wood burner?

I was thinking the same thing. :bowdown:

It might not be ideal, but just burn it up and when you restock, get splits cut the length you prefer. :chainsaw:

If it was me I'd either 1) sell it all and buy enough shorter wood to get through this season with a little to spare. Then cut new shorter wood in the spring. Short wood will most certainly season over one summer. Or 2) cut it shorter as you go. Run through a week's supply on a Saturday or Sunday and repeat next weekend. The thought of dedicating hours/days of time to hash out several cords at once doesn't appeal to me one bit.

CT, I fail to see the benefit of using a band saw over a circular chop saw for speed or safety...but hey you won't use certain splitting tools either so it's clear that you like to exert extra energy when working with firewood ;)

Seems to me that re-cutting a couple of cord is no different than fresh cutting a couple of cord...

Serious? Really?

Ok, you take your individual pieces of wood that have already been cut too long and cut inches off to desired length. Mind you each piece has to be handled individually whether cutting one piece at a time or stacking several making one cut. There's a lot of handling here, not to mention for every cut you now have 2 pieces of wood to be handled yet again.

Or, you get your wood either like in 100" sticks(logs), felled trees, etc, and cut each piece once to correct length. Job done.

So there is a difference in the process of each scenario and that difference is one of them entails much less work.

StihlRockin'

I would just save it for emergency wood. At least you will have it, and if you ever run out it will be worth the trouble to shorten it as you need it. I wouldn't go out of my way to shorten it all. I would probably use it for camp fire wood also.

yea after trying a few ideas mentioned here and how little it amounted too getting done.I think I will just burn what I can.as already started new wood cutting for future use.I do not like handling firewood more than I have too like everybody else. so will go with less full loads and struggle by.
teaches you not too fix whats not broken.maybe will put the old stove back till it is gone.
thanks all

Serious? Really?

Ok, you take your individual pieces of wood that have already been cut too long and cut inches off to desired length. Mind you each piece has to be handled individually whether cutting one piece at a time or stacking several making one cut. There's a lot of handling here, not to mention for every cut you now have 2 pieces of wood to be handled yet again.

Or, you get your wood either like in 100" sticks(logs), felled trees, etc, and cut each piece once to correct length. Job done.

So there is a difference in the process of each scenario and that difference is one of them entails much less work.

StihlRockin'

Serious. Really. I said "cutting" but I was thinking of how much work I put into making a log or stick into usable firewood. My thought is that they're already split so the "+1" for extra handling of two pieces is "-1" for lack of splitting. But you're right. I didn't say it exactly the way I was thinking about it so for the cutting portion you're absolutely right.

CT, I fail to see the benefit of using a band saw over a circular chop saw for speed or safety...

Large band saw set up and running; lift wood and push it through; little kerf/waste.

Chop saw; lift wood; let go of wood and grab chop saw handle; activate trigger and lower blade; raise blade and release trigger; pick up wood again; wider kerf/more waste.

All my pieces are cut on a sawhorse with an adjustable stop.

Photo?

Hey! This is 'AS', as in 'Any-excuse-to-run-a Saw'!

Philbert

Latest posts

Back