bestest 40cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holeycow

Dirt, Air, Water, Sun; Seeds.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Well, this CAD thing is real. I guess we can't resist little 2 strokes screamin'

I want to keep my eyes open for a nice little 35-40cc saw for general work around the farm. What is the lightest, most powerful, best handling little saw out there. I've never run a saw that small, but I'm thinking a good one would be..well..good for many small jobs.

I was looking at some Poulan Pro's the other day at Canadian Tire, just for the heck of it, and they seemed a little cheaply built to me and kinda heavy for the size, but pretty decent looking for the price. I'd be willing to spend more money for a better saw.

Thanks for replies

PS, I have a couple of bigger saws already. I'm looking for a smaller one.

Dolmar ps 350/Dolmar ps 420/ Stihl ms 180- stihl ms 250
Dont know much about Husqvarna STAY AWAY FROM POULAN BOX SAWS!!!! Mostly depends on dealer support in your area. Dolmar is really good becouse a 35 cc acts like a 45cc:msp_smile:IMHO

I have a gz4000 redmax that I have had for 4 years and I have had good service from it so far. I currently have a 14" bar with 91vx chain on it. It weighs 9.5 lbs (powerhead) starts easy, and is smooth to run. I routinely cut 8-10" diameter hardwood with it.

If I was into collecting saws I'd probably add a 242XP to my collection.

I own an Echo cs 400 this little saw is very strong with a muffler mod I also changed from a 18 in to a 16in bar and chain. I can bury this saw in oak and It keeps cutting strong. The only thing that that needs to be done right out of the box is to richen up the carb settings they are set to lean from the factory to be epa compliant. This saw is the easiest starting saw you will ever own. It also very light compared with other saws of it's class the anti vibe is great.

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess asking for one right answer is way too much to ask, LOL. Kind of like buying shampoo...too many choices.

So, buy a saw from a shop not a store, and for the most part Stihl, Redmax, Dolmar, Echo, Husky?

I don't care what brand. Every quality builder will have lows and highs in-the-class. I'm looking for a high-in-the-class model.

I've done a teeny bit of research and the Redmax seems to appeal to me somewhat. Red is nice, LOL. Are they a cylinder on cases construction? Are they mag or aluminum?

Thanks again for the help.

I'll be leisurely shopping around for a while.

Ran my 242xp some yesterday, good sharp chain it eats 8-10 inch wood. As with any saw a sharp chain makes life much easier.

A 40cc or so saw is nice to have for limbing or working in tight spots. Yea its nice to have that broad sword but sometimes a dagger will get the job done.

If you ever run across an old edition 346xp 45cc and 10.6 lbs, grab it! :msp_biggrin:

There's not much in the way of smaller pro saws available used around here. Also, Husky's are way overpriced in the smaller size pro models (new 346xp quoted at almost $800.00 locally, 357xp at $850.00). This area is dominated by Husky in the pro saw market, probably 50:1.

But you never know on the older 346 used.......

I have a Jonsered 2036 Turbo and a Stihl MS180C. The Jonsered is 36cc and the Stihl is 32cc. They both start and run well and the Stihl pulls a 16" chain surprisingly well. Things that I don't like about the Jonsered are that the anti vibe isn't as smooth as the Stihl and the on/off switch is poorly placed so that you can accidently shut offthe saw when in a cut. The only thing that I don't like about the Stihl is that the carb is not adjustable other than idle speed.

I have done a Muff Mod on the Jonsered and it cuts like a bigger saw. The power that it has now is comparable to my SIL's Echo CS400, a saw that is 11cc bigger. I haven't MM'd the Stihl yet because of the non adjustable carb.

The saw that you choose should include good dealer support. All of the top brands make good saws but can be a PITA to own if you don't have a good dealer for parts and repair.

I recommend the Husky 339xp, very light weight, well balanced & great power, kinda pricy but worth every penny IMHO. Ran one all summer cutting road side brush and would much rather run the 339 over my 346 for anything under 8".

I also hear the little Husky 435 is a good saw, small, light and plenty reliable.

+1. with a muff mod, this runs quite strong. I really like mine. others have indicated it is stronger than most in its class/ pricepoint.

Last edited:
Personally I LOVE my STIHL 024, great little saw plenty of power in that class IMHO. Good luck with which ever you choose, dealer support should be a major consideration

If you ever run across an old edition 346xp 45cc and 10.6 lbs, grab it! :msp_biggrin:

Yep...

I recommend the Husky 339xp, very light weight, well balanced & great power, kinda pricy but worth every penny IMHO. Ran one all summer cutting road side brush and would much rather run the 339 over my 346 for anything under 8".

I have a couple of these and I totally agree. At 9lbs PHO, they are a couple of pounds less than a 346, and I agree on using them for smaller wood. I like my for 8-10" oak.

There's not much in the way of smaller pro saws available used around here. Also, Husky's are way overpriced in the smaller size pro models (new 346xp quoted at almost $800.00 locally, 357xp at $850.00). This area is dominated by Husky in the pro saw market, probably 50:1.

But you never know on the older 346 used.......

Check the classifieds...might be something you like there.

There are waaay different types of "40cc saws" out there, so I can't come up with any advice without knowing the priorities regarding power, weight and quality - and how important the price is (and/or the approximate limit).

Latest posts

Back