Big bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

booger1286

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys i just picked up a husqvarna 2101 and i noticed that they are rated to pull up to a 60 inch bar. Just wondering what saws how many can feasibly pull and oil a 50 inch bar or bigger?

I think any 100cc saw can pull a 60" bar but i think the rating is for the oiler as how much bar can the oiler oil. My Echo CS-1001 is rated at a 36" in the book but i know it will do bigger...Bob

As strong as s 2100 is, I still don't think I'd run much more than a 48" bar on it. That's getting into 7cube territory. A 2100 is able to oil the monster bars because it has a manual oiler in addition to the auto oiler pump. That's why they're rated to 60", while the 1100CD was 'only' rated for a 36" bar. The 1100CD has basically the same engine as the 2100, but lacks the manual oiler pump. An 1100CD would EASILY run a 36" bar with a 3/8-8 rim. Heck, it could do it with .404 chain and an 8 pin rim. I believe all 70cc and larger saws should have a manual oiler to supplement the auto oiler pump. Heck...................all of my 41cc and larger "old" saws have a manual oiler...:D

So im guessin a 50 inch bar would be hard on a 2101 to pull even though the oiler will support it?

So im guessin a 50 inch bar would be hard on a 2101 to pull even though the oiler will support it?

It'd be fine. Just run a 7 pin rim don't lean on it too much. Clutch life will be somewhat shorter than with the shorter length bars, but I wouldn't worry about it. How often are you really going to have the whole bar burried anyways?

What are some of the clutch driven saws that can pull and oil a 50 inch or bigger?

It'd be fine. Just run a 7 pin rim don't lean on it too much. Clutch life will be somewhat shorter than with the shorter length bars, but I wouldn't worry about it. How often are you really going to have the whole bar burried anyways?

I will actually never use over a 36, i was just wondering.

we need a video of some big bar 2100 action. I've got a 298 that has no manual oiler I'm looking at a 42inch ... this oiler is not adjustable is it??? its putting way to much on a 32...

Stihl recommends up to a 59" bar on the MS880. Husqvarna seems a bit more conservative with their recommendations, which top out at 42" for the 3120XP. Either of these saws have been used with 72" bars or larger. If I remember correctly, older Bailey's catalogs (when they sold pro Huskys by mail) said the 394 and /or 395 would pull chips with a 50" bar.

How does the 2101 stack up to the 880 looks like the stihl would fall short without a manual oiler, or does it have one?

The stihl 090 has a manual oiler and mine pulls a 84" pretty darn in good. Although I have only used that bar in soft wood, but once it gets a little cooler out I have some big oaks to cut so i'll get a better idea how it does. :rock:

The stihl 090 has a manual oiler and mine pulls a 84" pretty darn in good. Although I have only used that bar in soft wood, but once it gets a little cooler out I have some big oaks to cut so i'll get a better idea how it does. :rock:
P

I run a 50'' bar on my 090 and it eats up the wood and I'd like to see a pic of that monster of a bar:msp_scared::D

attachment.php

I have a 42" on my 2101xp, I can't imagine running it with an 84". If my calculations are correct that's twice as long as mine. Normally I have a 28 or 32" on it, I can't remember which.

Back