Big Homelite ignition troubles ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawbones

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
yesterday I fired up my 650 for the first time and it would not rev up..

so I looked for another saw to play with and today I fired up a 2100 and it did almost the same thing.

watch the vid and tell me the fix. and please,,, no jokes about my drop starts:jester:

electric impaired gnu guy:confused:

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kPQfXUNN_rE&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kPQfXUNN_rE&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

The 650 to me sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Have you been through the fuel system on it?

The 2100 to me sounds like it's out of time. Possibly the flywheel key is sheared?

The 650 to me sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Have you been through the fuel system on it?

The 2100 to me sounds like it's out of time. Possibly the flywheel key is sheared?

so if the key shears it can just be off a bit but still run?

the 650 was popping like this before I ever put gas in it. I was running it with a squirt gun at first. carby seems ok. can a reed do this?

Yeah, bad reeds can make it run crappy fo' sho'.

If they in the 2100 is sheared a bit the timing would be off and make it sound like that. The trigger unit/high tension coil may also have an issue which would cause similar problems.

That's how my XP would run when it would run but mine was worse. Mine would barely idle and when you tried to rev it, it would do the same as yours and bog out and it had nothing to do with the carb or fuel. Most of the time when I puled the starter it would pop and fire almost instantly but never start. it almost felt like it was outta time but wasnt.

I never really tried to 100% diagnose it so all I know is that it was either the points or condenser. I kept the old ignition and ordered a few of the NOVA Modules and am gonna put that old ignition back in my C-72 and try it with the module. If it works I'll let ya know. It's a cheap fix to at 12 bux a piece and calvin here has them

Hi Guys,
I would check the points and condenser on the 2100, also you can pull the intake and double check the reeds, remember there are 6 reeds, 5 alike and one with a slit that is the impulse for the carb to operate. The special impulse reed has to be in the correct position in the pyramid.
As for the 650, since it doesn't have reeds, I would double check the carb, sounds like maybe it is getting too much gas.
I just replaced the intake booty and fuel lines on my brothers 750 yesterday, now it is running great! Good luck, Jonathan

Hi Guys,
I would check the points and condenser on the 2100, also you can pull the intake and double check the reeds, remember there are 6 reeds, 5 alike and one with a slit that is the impulse for the carb to operate. The special impulse reed has to be in the correct position in the pyramid.
As for the 650, since it doesn't have reeds, I would double check the carb, sounds like maybe it is getting too much gas.
I just replaced the intake booty and fuel lines on my brothers 750 yesterday, now it is running great! Good luck, Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan and you other guys..

found the 2100 parts today and picking up some 650 parts on monday.

I have never worked on a 2100, but that is interesting about a hole in a reed used for an impulse port. I have found if reeds are going bad the saw will not idle properly and is hard to start. Be careful running those saws with no bar and chain, hate to see a clutch spin off and go every where while turning 4000 rpms. You can be surprised how a fuel delivery problem can produce the symptoms of a failing ignition. Look and see if the old tillotson has the governor built into it on the 2100.

I just fixed a little Homie for my neighbor the other day that was doing the exact same thing. I checked for spark and it was fine. I fiddled around with a for a while and decided to put a new plug in it anyway. It started right up and ran great after that.

I just fixed a little Homie for my neighbor the other day that was doing the exact same thing. I checked for spark and it was fine. I fiddled around with a for a while and decided to put a new plug in it anyway. It started right up and ran great after that.

first thing I usually do is put in a new plug.. over the years with 2 strokes I have learned to carry extras though as even some new ones can misfire.

sounds like a point condenser issue on the 2100 now.

JJ sent me some kind of modual last year... just need to remember where I hid it from myself.

Back