big saw in the tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which do you prefer to have with you in the tree for blocking out wood?

• a small saw

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • a higher powered saw (larger)

Votes: 9 40.9%

• Total voters

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
For the past several years I always used my 044 when I had to start taking wood out of the trees that was larger than my 020 could handle. It's a great saw, with plenty of power but I decided a few months ago to switch to an 026 for the same job. I have used the 026 a couple times now, and while it is lighter than the 44, it doesn't have anywhere near as much power, or quite the same bar size.

So, I figured that I would post a poll to see regardless of makes or model numbers what you guys prefer in the trees for blocking out wood... the bigger saw with more power, or the smaller saw which is more agile, and has less weight.

I Like an 090 with a 60" bar that way i can reach more wood without moving around as much. :blob2:

Lately,Ihave been doing either big wwreckdowns or rigging/crane removals and I don't even use a small treesaw at all now. It's either my 346, or a 044/46 with a 28" bar.

I used to take the 044 up once the ms200 losses the speed, but I got a 353 from baileys a few months ago and just love it, great for climbing, light, cuts really good........now after reading so much about the 346xp im going in that direction.....

anybody use a 346xp with a 20" bar? Seems like there's enough power to handle it. Any recommendations on a good light weight narrow kerf bar?

I will tend to use the smaller saw until it is no longer reasonable. But then again I'm a small guy. If I could handle a bigger saw more easily that is what I would use.

MasterB, How much you charge me to teach me to climb?
Not that I need to learn, I know the ropes, but just getting a ballpark figure.

:D

Also how do I get the video's on your site to werk?

I very rarely feel the need for more than one of my top handle saws with a 16"bar in a tree. When I do I usually go for a saw in the 50cc-60cc class with a 20"-22" bar.

...338xpt for most jobs but I'll bring up an Echo 4400cs for bigger stuff. Don't go overboard with the bar length, its better to nibble bit by bit that to bite off more than you chew. Safety first! If your thinking about geting a husky, go with the "XP" or pro series saws, thier the better choice. Go to the dealers and just pick up different saws & see what feels good to you. I'm a big fan of the Windsor bar(speed tip), & chain as well. A husky 357xp would be the biggest saw that I would take up a tree because anything larger would be difficult to manage safely.

How about something a bit under the 357XP in weight, but bigger in size; an 036? (yeah, nearly a full pound lighter - don't go by the specs, go by the scale - that's the way Husky does it for some reason)  Made fairly quick work of a disassembly job aloft, all things considered, for me on Friday...

Glen

Originally posted by MasterBlaster
You need Quicktime.
Butch, you didn't answer his other question. I'm sure you're not blowing it off, but I wanted to make sure you don't forget, in case you were saving the response for another day.

Back