Big Saw/Little Saw recommendations sought

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clinchscavalry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My first post here, and after trying to sort through all the threads, decided to be lazy and start a new one.

I have never needed a large saw until now or a climbing saw, but now I find that I must have both. My son and I will be thinning pecan trees this winter, and they are 80 plus years old. Most of them are around 30" dbh, but a few are pushing 40".

We need a felling saw, thinking about something that will handle a 28" bar and also a good climbing saw for limbing and topping.

Based on all that I've read here and elsewhere it appears that the 200T gets the nod as best choice for the mini, but Dolmar and Jonsered both have saws that might fit the bill except for dealer support.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Stihl but thinking about the 3410 and 2139. Pros and cons would be appreciated.

I really need some advice on the larger saws. Stihl 441, Dolmar 7900, Husky 372 ? Maybe something else ?

I have a Husqvarna 385xp it has a 24 inch bar on it now. Ive been cutting red oaks in the 30 inch range. It does reasonably well in that size of wood. But sometimes a slight increase of power would be nice. For a Husqvarna I would at least opt for a 390xp. In the Stihl I would go for a ms 660. I had sold my 066 that I had due to financial reasons. I sure wished I had it now on these oaks. Both a 390 or 660 would be at home with a 28 inch bar.

Welcome to the site!

Do you need a top-handle climbing saw? If you do, then you do. If not, a light regular handle saw is probably going to be more versatile. MS200/200t are superb saws. Dolmar, Echo, and Husqvarna also have nice offerings.

For your 28" bar work, you'll be fine with any of the 70-80cc saws you have listed, unless you're going to be blocking them into firewood. If you're going to be making the same cut every 16-18", then a bigger saw makes 30"+ wood get small faster. For felling, where the work is more surgical, you don't need 7hp.

Stihl 460(DP muffler and standard outlet reamed back out to its original size) + MS200/200t would be an awesome combination for the work you're talking about. If you're going to be blocking up the logs into firewood lengths, you might wish to swap the 460 for a 660.

Pick a brand that has good dealer support if this is more than a hobby for you guys.

i realy like my slightly modded 044 in big wood. this saw has nothing more then muffler mod and base gasket dropped. basicaly a muff modded saw is. and it rips up 30" doug fir trees in a hurry into fire wood size.

i also have 372 that is ported and has 32" bar fixed to it. this saw also does very good cutn bar sized trees into firewood.

yes a bigger 90cc saw would be lots of fun but ive also found working on hill sides and cutn up big trees that are above my waist with the 70cc saws gets very tireing after a long day. so im not missing the little bit of added weight that 90cc saws have. and some times the trees are only 20- 30cuts then i grab the 28" saw and finish em

GEDC1550.jpg

my three saw combo
372 ported 32"
440 ported 28"
044 muff modded gakset dropped 28"

then i have 026 with 18" when ive goten very tired.

if i could have only two it would be my 044 and 026
combo.jpg

but becarefull if this is hobby youl soon have way more then you can cut with
GEDC0819.jpg

Last edited:
'preciate the responses. Yes, we'll be cutting the pecans into firewood, that is, unless we run into sections the wood splitter won't handle. The last one we took out (a large tree that died) had the worst grain I've ever run across. Our 27 ton splitter wouldn't go through it, so we had to push and pile probably 3/4 of the tree.

Both of us are professional foresters and use chainsaws on a regular basis. We're certainly not in the same league with most of you guys (and gals?), but we value high quality, long-lasting equipment and hate to use sub-par saws. Now that we're managing pecan orchards and are faced with taking out a substantial number of very large trees, we need good advice before we plop down probably $1500 or more for the two saws.

The advice to get a bigger saw for cutting firewood from these large trunks makes perfectly good sense to me, and I really hadn't thought about it that way. Spending a couple hundred more dollars might more than pay off in time savings.

As for the climbing saws, we will be using a bucket truck for the limbing and topping, so if that makes a difference in suggestions please let us hear from y'all.

Is there any reason to buy a small, climbing saw other than the Stihl 200T? I certainly like to save money, but does Dolmar, Jonsered, Echo, or Husky have anything to compare?

'preciate the responses. Yes, we'll be cutting the pecans into firewood, that is, unless we run into sections the wood splitter won't handle. The last one we took out (a large tree that died) had the worst grain I've ever run across. Our 27 ton splitter wouldn't go through it, so we had to push and pile probably 3/4 of the tree.

Both of us are professional foresters and use chainsaws on a regular basis. We're certainly not in the same league with most of you guys (and gals?), but we value high quality, long-lasting equipment and hate to use sub-par saws. Now that we're managing pecan orchards and are faced with taking out a substantial number of very large trees, we need good advice before we plop down probably $1500 or more for the two saws.

The advice to get a bigger saw for cutting firewood from these large trunks makes perfectly good sense to me, and I really hadn't thought about it that way. Spending a couple hundred more dollars might more than pay off in time savings.

As for the climbing saws, we will be using a bucket truck for the limbing and topping, so if that makes a difference in suggestions please let us hear from y'all.

Is there any reason to buy a small, climbing saw other than the Stihl 200T? I certainly like to save money, but does Dolmar, Jonsered, Echo, or Husky have anything to compare?

As for the the ugly grained stuff, I bet some of the guys here are cringing when you talk about pushing that perfectly good fire wood into piles. Make some noodles man, fire up the big saw when you buy it and block that stuff that won't split.
I run my Dolmar 7900 with up to a 32" bar with no issues, burried in a red oak it was asking for more.
The 200t is the hot rod of the top handles but the dolmar is nippin at is heals for a lot less $$$$

Anything 32" and below a 70cc can handle. The 441, 460, 372 and 7900 would be fine. Run skip chain with a muff mod on a stock saw. I prefer a ported 70cc for 32" work, like a 440, 441, or 460. Above 32" and the 90cc saws need to be brought out, 390, 395, 660.

The 200T pretty much speaks for it's self.

You guys want to hear something sad ? We can't get rid of the almost endless supply of pecan firewood we generate from just cleaning up the orchards ! We even took probably 1/3 cord each, split and stacked and even mostly debarked to two local BBQ places as a way to "advertise". This was for free mind you ! They were very cool to say the least. We called several other places and they said "we only use oak and hickory". When I informed them that pecan was indeed a hickory species, they acted surprised.

Then, we asked around seeing what homeowners would like to buy some. Most everyone said "it pops too much". All I can say is that we burn pecan in two wood stoves and a fireplace, and it doesn't pop any more than oak. In fact, it makes real good firewood and doesn't leave much ash.

But the best use is for cooking ! We grilled some hamburgers night before last using only pecan coals, and the taste was awesome.

Around these parts, firewood is easy to come by, winters are short and usually mild, and folks are biased against pecan.

We would love to find a way to economically ship the wood to other parts of the country, but no luck so far.

if i had pecan wood in my woodpile it would be gone in a heart beat. i didnt know how well firewood would sale when i got into the fire wood sales hobby. the stuff literaly sales itself. and its just doug fir.

Doug Fir:dizzy:

I've hunted in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and Idaho; all places that we were forced to use conifers for firewood:cry:

I would have loved to haul a couple cords of our trashy pecan out there. Isn't it ironic how some of the coldest places in the country have to put up with some of the crappiest firewood and the warmer places have the absolute best ?

It's almost unbelievable how much oak, hickory, beech, etc. is simply left to rot or pushed, piled and burned to get it out of the way around here.:(

OK, back to the topic here.

Is everyone pretty much in agreement that a Stihl 200T is the best choice for the climbing saw and a larger displacement cutter like the 660 or 390 is going to be best for the ground work ?

I notice that most everyone seems to lean towards Stihl products with a few dissenters who like Huskys and Dolmars.

We have an excellent shop nearby that sells and services Echo, Husky and Stihl, BTW.

I'm not a youngster anymore, and a chainsaw makes me sweat profusely no matter how cold it is, but perusing this forum, reading all the posts, and seeing the pictures makes me want to go to the saw shop tomorrow, before they close for Thanksgiving and get some new iron. I better go to bed now before I get too worked up:)

CC,
welcome to the forum. i way down in SE Ga. i HIGHLY recommend a Dolmar 7900. i don't know how comfortable you are with wrenches, but chainsaws are some of the simplest engines to repair. if your saw runs ok for the first few tanks of gas, chances are you will not have any problems for quiet a while. you might need an occassional carb adjustment, but all saws need this to keep them running there best and last as long as possible. Dolmar parts are available on-line from a couple of forum sponsors are cheaper than husky and stihl. i all all three brands and the 7900 just stands out in terms of power, weight, smoothness and durability.
for smaller saws, i agree with the recommendation to go with a smaller rear-handled saw such as the husky 346 or dolmar 5100. the top-handle saws are really meant for tree- monkeys who are hanging on the end of a rope. if this is how you will be limbing, then there is nothin wrong with this type of saw, and the stihl 200T is top of the heap. if you are trimming from a bucket or need something to limb felled trees, then a rear-handled saw is a better choice.
if you want to run a 7900 you are welcome to let me know, i am sure we can work something out.

BTW, there area couple of 7900's in the trading post right now. one is near-new 7900. both are from stand-up guys.
Neal

Last edited:
OK, back to the topic here.

Is everyone pretty much in agreement that a Stihl 200T is the best choice for the climbing saw and a larger displacement cutter like the 660 or 390 is going to be best for the ground work ?

I notice that most everyone seems to lean towards Stihl products with a few dissenters who like Huskys and Dolmars.

We have an excellent shop nearby that sells and services Echo, Husky and Stihl, BTW.

Having a good shop with support for either brand(forget echo) makes a big difference, either Stihl or husky will do in this case. Get which ever feels better to you.

Pecan is $600+ a cord where I'm at. Pecan is a superb cooking/smoking wood.

I have a 200T, 260, and a 460. If you aren't climbing, you might consider the 260/660 combination. How large will the branches to be removed with the bucket truck be? 3' dry oak takes a while to buck up with the 460. My 084 goes through it a lot faster. The 260 is a much better limbing/ground saw than a top handled saw. If most of your work will be green wood then the 460 will do it, but dry/dead wood over 30" needs a bigger saw.

Pecan is $600+ a cord where I'm at. Pecan is a superb cooking/smoking wood.

I have a 200T, 260, and a 460. If you aren't climbing, you might consider the 260/660 combination. How large will the branches to be removed with the bucket truck be? 3' dry oak takes a while to buck up with the 460. My 084 goes through it a lot faster. The 260 is a much better limbing/ground saw than a top handled saw. If most of your work will be green wood then the 460 will do it, but dry/dead wood over 30" needs a bigger saw.

We won't be climbing, not until we're trained at least, and that might be awhile. All of our topping and most limbing will be done with the bucket, and, other than the felling of the main trunk, ground work should be mostly bucking large limbs and the trunk into firewood and cutting smaller limbs too high up for the bucket to reach. Some of our trees are around 70 ft. tall. The thinned trees will be mostly green with occasional dead and dry ones to remove. Some of these will go over 30" easily. The larger limbs, branching out from the trunk around eye level and higher, are anywhere from 10-18" in diameter.

Our current saws are a Stihl 361 and a Husky 55, Homelite XL and another Homelite "Big Red", Super XL I think. The Stihl and Husky are a little too heavy to use in the bucket as is the Super XL. The small XL is really just a tool box saw I carry around to occasionally cut limbs and trees out of woods roads, and it's just too slow to do big jobs. We do have a Stihl pole saw that will come in handy out of the bucket.

$600/cord for pecan ! I wish I could figure out how to ship it and still make money.

We won't be climbing, not until we're trained at least, and that might be awhile. All of our topping and most limbing will be done with the bucket, and, other than the felling of the main trunk, ground work should be mostly bucking large limbs and the trunk into firewood and cutting smaller limbs too high up for the bucket to reach. Some of our trees are around 70 ft. tall. The thinned trees will be mostly green with occasional dead and dry ones to remove. Some of these will go over 30" easily. The larger limbs, branching out from the trunk around eye level and higher, are anywhere from 10-18" in diameter.

$600/cord for pecan ! I wish I could figure out how to ship it and still make money.

Any of those trunks make saw logs/lumber?
http://www.arboristsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

Thinking you could host a GTG & get rid of a little bit of that wood ;)
& see some mighty fine saws run. :biggrinbounce2:

I like the 390xp better than the 7900 and the 660. I can't really notice a big difference in the weight between the 390 and 7900 both with 28" bars. I was going to keep the 7900 as my big saw as I wasn't really impressed with the 660 and it vibrated me to death. I run up on a deal on the 390 and bought it and don't regret it at all. I can't wait till it's broke in. I've never ran a 441 but my BIL had one until someone needed it more than him. He said it's like running a husky with stihl colors. I don't really like the 460 as it seems like it weighed just as much as the 390 without as much power. I like the 372xpw as my smaller saw. I ported it a month ago but haven't gotten to run it but for a few minutes. It would pull a 28" with full comp ok before the porting. I hope to get to run it some more in the next few days. The 7900 will pull the 28 with a lot more authority than the 372 did stock.

Back