Big Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am always taking down big big trees and my big saw is a stihl 088 . I was wondering if any one has used an 090 and if they are worth bothering with?

As Nels said, it has a lot of torque, if you use long bar and big chain all the time it may be worth it on stump cuts and the like.

The problem is that you need to find some one to "smuggle" it in from South America.

I did a couple searches and all I could find was one in a mill setup for 3500USD

An 090 doesn't have a chain brake so it may not be allowed by Health and Safety for commercial applications in some regions.

I bought an 090 about 5 years ago more just to have one than anything but ended up using it now and then. First of all its huge, I think the powerhead weighs about 35 pounds. Secondly it does have a much lower rpm and is loud
as hell. Also I think there is an anti-vibe type handle for it but I'm not sure where to get one, mine doesn't have one and it'll just about rattle your teeth out your head.
I'd say its strong point is it looks awesome and its just about impossible to stop it when its wide open with a sharp chain! If you do use it, make sure you've got some good earplugs/muffs and enough size to handle it.

old 088 with 32" bar and 2 chains off of e-bay 800.00
new piston and cup/rings off of e-bay 225.00
48" bar off of e-bay 275.00
loop of Stihl skiptooth for 48" bar 117.00
having a beast I put together myself for the really big jobs: PRICELESS!
being able to cut firewood from about 20 to 30 logs bunched up together in one pass: PRICELESS!
laughing at the fellas putting a little saw to a huge stump:clap:

having the wife tell me I am compensating... :dizzy:

Latest posts

Back