Big spikes and saw case

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jumbo Jimbo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys I was just wondering if my MS460 would fit in the saw case with the big spikes installted. Also, I was curious about the extended clutch cover for this saw. Is it wider or just longer to extend towards the bottom of the saw, and what function does it mainly serve? Thanks in advance.

Saws with big dogs don't need no case! :laugh:

Anyhoo... no it probably won't.

The longer clutch covers are designed for fallers. when you get in a crappy area and have to cut clutch side up... it keeps the saw chips out of your face... Mostly a West Coast thing...

When your hummin' through a 40" Doug Fir on a sidehill with your face about a foot above your saw... you tend to get a "loggers lunch" (a faceful of chips) when you have to cut clutch side up. The longer clutch cover helps a little to keep the chips out of yer pie hole. :)

Gary

Last edited:
Hey guys I was just wondering if my MS460 would fit in the saw case with the big spikes installted. Also, I was curious about the extended clutch cover for this saw. Is it wider or just longer to extend towards the bottom of the saw, and what function does it mainly serve? Thanks in advance.

I think you will have problems getting it back in the case. As for the wide cover it was designed to give more protection when running the saw with a full wrap handle bar.
:cheers:

From my experience a 460 with big dogs and extended clutch cover will NOT fit in the stihl case.

Nope. I just went out to the garage and tried it. It won't fit. The dogs make the saw sit too far to the back and the lid won't close.

I never really worried about using the Stihl case for the 460 because it usually wears a 28" bar, and the bar sleeve that comes with the case insn't nearly long enough to cover it. Besides, the 2 cases I have are otherwise occupied.... (Man, I hope my wife doesn't go over and kick those 'empty' cases over in the corner.....)

I do remember it fit before the dogs went on, though.

Welcome to the site Jumbo! :cheers:

I bet I could make it fit,,,, you have a chainsaw right there, cut slots for the dowgs!

My 660 wont with the bigger spikes, not by a long-shot, I have thought about heating them up and melting them in.

But I am keeping my eye open for one of those +sized milk baskets.

You may have seen them, about twice the size of the little square ones?

I think it would work to just cut a slot for the bar and slip it in,,,, it would sure save a few plastic fuel tanks and jugs of oil. And maybe the recoil housing someday?

Like the red one .......

milk%20crate.gif

It will fit, just cut a notch at the bottom for the lowest spike,about 3/4" deeper.

Heat gun on the inside of the top cover for the brake, 1/4" is all is needed.

Fill the gap created from the notch with Shoe Goo and yer good to go.

thanks for the responses everybody! Maybe I'll just get the dogs and make it work, it's just a bummer the scabbard for the cases only fits a 20 inch bar. Oh well.

I have never used a saw case. Saws are big and cumbersom as is... so I never used a case to make them even "bigger".

Gary

LOL....What's a saw case? Wait a minute, I know. It's the pair of greasy coveralls that you wad up around the powerhead if it's raining on the way home.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back