big tree vid.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
whats everyones thoughts on it.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G5c2L4XVSpY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G5c2L4XVSpY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I never use a truck to pull over a tree. To easy to break the rope or loose traction. The only guy wearing and PPE was the guy driving the wedges in. Good clean notch and the rope looked high enough too.

The Bottom Line

Lots of things that could have been done a little bit better or different here, it would have been nice if he had a bigger saw to not keep switching sides in the cut, it would have been nice if the tree had been leaning the other way, it would have been nice if they had a bigger pull truck, it would have been nice if they had more PPE, it would have been nice if the tree had been somewhere further away from civilization, it would have been nice if they didn't have to work for a living. You could go on and on about things that would have been nice, but the bottom line is they got the job done and nobody got hurt.

That doesn't mean that I wouldn't have done things a little differently!:)

We could all pick nearly any video to death. There's always more risk dropping a tree like that around a structure. I would have liked to have seen a bigger truck used. Bottom line, I thought they did a good job. I particularly liked the middle-aged gentleman allowing the younger guy to do the cutting, but was there by his side the entire time to help with the wedges and make sure everything was cool.

im learning so i wanted to see what you guys thought. thats what this site is for.

specialy since i do tree removal jobs on accasion

whats everyones thoughts on it.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G5c2L4XVSpY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G5c2L4XVSpY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Good job. She's on the ground, no damage, everything is good.
We had a so called pro a year or so ago take down a tree for a man and wound up in court. He paid $15,000 for damages to the man's house and yard. We had another pro outfit take down a tree here in town at the courthouse. Did a good job but took down the wrong tree, he too had to annie up plus remove the right tree for free so you did good. You batted a 1000 on that big tree,:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Looked picture (video) perfect to me. Rope nice and high, cutting with the wind, great notch, and most importantly, it fell right where you wanted it.

Pretty awesome feeling dropping a big tree like that. :clap:

Would any of you guys have bore cut the back cut and then worked backwards? That way the hinge would be perfect and the guy wouldn't have had to keep going back around the tree to touch up the hinge. Just my thoughts.

Would any of you guys have bore cut the back cut and then worked backwards? That way the hinge would be perfect and the guy wouldn't have had to keep going back around the tree to touch up the hinge. Just my thoughts.

I've done that on some smaller trees (20-24") with a back lean. The big problem i noticed is when your cutting the back strap, the tree has a tendency to "pop" all at once, not gradually pull over. When the tree pops, the ropes goes slack and a number of things could go wrong. I'll bore cut trees with a heavy lean the way i want it to go, but that's about it.

I've done that on some smaller trees (20-24") with a back lean. The big problem i noticed is when your cutting the back strap, the tree has a tendency to "pop" all at once, not gradually pull over. When the tree pops, the ropes goes slack and a number of things could go wrong. I'll bore cut trees with a heavy lean the way i want it to go, but that's about it.

Makes sense. I am not that experienced with big trees.

just for clarify, i didnt cut this tree, just found it on you tube. id love to have a tree removal job like this and the wood

They got it down and nothing went wrong so thats good. I rope a lot of the trees that I cut and have used a truck to pull them before but that truck did look a little under sized for the tree. The notches and cutting technique looked really good.

I know it was a big tree, but the chain seemed awful dull or the saw was way undersized for the job. But the tree is on the ground and that is the biggest thing! Good Job

Looked good to me, the only thing that caught my eye was the older gentleman was walking in front of the tree (direction of fall) moments before it came down. Could've been a canditate for a Darwin award.

A couple of things I noticed. I would have liked the face to have been a bit larger, that would have helped with the smaller pull vehicle, the hinge seemed a bit large,but it was a pull so.......... and what was with the bore cut on the back side?
The rope placement was perfect, the guy did a GREAT job with a sall saw, it came down perfect, nothing was torn up and no one was hurt.
My BIG thing is I would have made a bigger face cut. But thats me, and I've been burnt on that more than once.
Nice clean video.

Latest posts

Back