Bike saw talk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am doing an 07 KTM 300 right now. I started building it in 07, I haven't been in a hurry to finish it since this one is for ME.

The only real problem with using KTM's is that the early ones (80's) had the ignition on the wrong side which would have made it tough to make a good bikesaw. A 98 will have the ignition on the left which will work fine, I think 93 and up all have the left side ign.

The right seal rides on the primary gear instead of the crankshaft like a honda CR250 does so you do need it. I like how the reeds cage feeds directly into the crankcase on the KTM instead of the cylinder head, it makes the package more compact for a saw, and makes it easy to pull the jug.

It should make a great saw.
:cheers: Great pics romeo. I don't have the know how to run these saws but I always enjoy looking at yours. Haven't seen you around in a while, hope you're doing well and welcome back.:bowdown:

anyone working with 4 strokes or reverse?

I was just up to camp and was checking out some bikes and watching motorcross with a buddy. He was all excited about his 4 stroke. I was wondering if anyone has done anything with one of these (romeo?)? How about those reverse setups?

Anyone use this sort of setup (bikesaw) for any sort of production rather than racing? Like a mill or some such thing? I could be nuts but if theres a will theres a way. I just might not want to hold it all day.

more
HPIM1650.jpg

IM000989.jpg

IM000988.jpg

IM000987.jpg

IM000986.jpg

JB019.jpg

HPIM1753.jpg

HPIM1754.jpg

I believe I just bought the saw in the 5th picture. I know it has had some modifications. It still needs a little more to be competitive! Very reliable and a good beginners saw.

I believe I just bought the saw in the 5th picture. I know it has had some modifications. It still needs a little more to be competitive! Very reliable and a good beginners saw.

Did you get it from Mike Koers? The was originally a Harry Boedecker built saw. Probably one of the first bike saws out there. All I did to it was the top handle and back handle, the original setup was pretty well worn. Here is what it looked like before I did the work for Mike, it was lighter but a little funky to hold on too. I think it needs one more tooth on the sprocket, and I have always been a little freaked out with paddle wheels, there are a few scars on that saw to show why.
HPIM1646.jpg

HPIM1647.jpg

Yep, thats the one. I work for Mike. The saw looks a lot different now. Its currently spending some quality time with Ed Heard. Can't wait to get it back.

I will do that. Yeah we have been running it quite a bit. I think we finally got the winch adjusted to where it should be. Quite a change from the 360, but a fun little machine to run.

Back