Black Cherry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12guns

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So My dad and I found a rather large Black Cherry blown over from a storm. It's on our property in the middle of National Forrest land. Trunk is straight, few limbs. I didn't measure the bottom, but would guess diameter to be at least a couple feet, maybe a bit more. Any ideas what 4 8' straight sections would be worth? It's down an old loggin road near our cabin. If I can find anyone interested, I'll cut it up and hault out the trunk pieces. It's still green, wood in good shape. Sorry, no pics yet.

What it is now, and where it is now, its not worth anything. If its not rotten, buggy, twisted, knotty, split, etc. and someone were to cut it to standard log lengths, haul it to a (small) sawmill, you might get a little $$$. Almost worth the effort. Lumber prices are very depressed now.:cry:

So My dad and I found a rather large Black Cherry blown over from a storm. It's on our property in the middle of National Forrest land. Trunk is straight, few limbs. I didn't measure the bottom, but would guess diameter to be at least a couple feet, maybe a bit more. Any ideas what 4 8' straight sections would be worth? It's down an old loggin road near our cabin. If I can find anyone interested, I'll cut it up and hault out the trunk pieces. It's still green, wood in good shape. Sorry, no pics yet.

If you find someone who may buy logs, check on the lengths they want first. I don't believe 8' is a standard length for sawing.

You might try having it sawn first and try selling the lumber to local woodworkers. Keep in mind, you never know what the inside of the log will look like till you cut it.

thanks for the help guys. Looks like i'll cut it up this weekend for the ole' smoker. If it seems nice inside, I may save a couple lengths of the good portion of the trunk and ask around for possible local buyers. Thanks again

Back