Black Walnut Disease

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sprintcar

Chainsaw Slut
Reaction score
Has anyone heard or seen any evidence of a Black Walnut disease called "Thousand Cankers Disease? There have been several recent articles that this disease is primarily in the Western United States but is moving east.
There are some reports that this disease has been identified in Knoxville Tennessee. If anyone has seen this in Kansas or Missouri or Arkansas?

Thanks,

Jerry

Has anyone heard or seen any evidence of a Black Walnut disease called "Thousand Cankers Disease? There have been several recent articles that this disease is primarily in the Western United States but is moving east.
There are some reports that this disease has been identified in Knoxville Tennessee. If anyone has seen this in Kansas or Missouri or Arkansas?

Thanks,

Jerry

Haven't seen it, but got my ceu's. I think once you can see the cankers, it's terminal. Hard to catch early and that little bug has a big family. Maybe called 'Thousand Cankers Disease' because that's about how many of them buggers to finally make a big canker.
Jeff :)

Recently IN DNR placed a ban on importing certain walnut timber/lumber products from outside of the state because it was discovered in TN. So I would say yes, it has been found in TN and walnut is going to get a bit harder to work with.

10 to the third power canker

The problem is somewhat like Dutch elm disease. Walnut twig beetle attacks
the branch introducing a fungus, Fungus causes a canker. Every beetle attack introduces a fungus = canker. And finally girdles the branch and so on and so forth. Branches flag out like elm with Dutch elm disease.

I've been hauling Walnut logs so I've been keeping my eye out. I came across a log last week that looked similiar to the pics I've seen but I have yet to take the sample piece over the to Dept of Conservation to have them look it over. I plan on doing that Tue or Wed this week. I don't think it is, or I would be more proactive but I'll get a second opinion.

The good or positive news,
is that the roots aren't grafted like Elms.
It can take several years for it to kill the tree.
They believe that have had at least "some" results or impact with micro injections.

Walnut injections.

What are they injecting? I read about this disease recently with great interrest. I have a 90+ year old black walnut that I use for my tree climbing school, and would hate to see this beauty die the death if it could be prevented. I did a thorough inspection of it imediately after I read about it. Saw no signs of infestation. :clap:

Watchin it like a hawk.

Ron

What are they injecting? I read about this disease recently with great interrest. I have a 90+ year old black walnut that I use for my tree climbing school, and would hate to see this beauty die the death if it could be prevented. I did a thorough inspection of it imediately after I read about it. Saw no signs of infestation. :clap:

Watchin it like a hawk.

Ron

I can't remember what or even if they said what they were useing. Also, just to clarify they didn't say that the micro injections were saving or curing trees, just that the injections were working. Meaning the injections showed signs that they are "having an effect" or "the disease/host is responding". They really didn't say the results were positive or negative, just that it had an "effect" which is good because that means you have at least opened up a avenue of approach.

Also, to be honest I haven't taken those pieces down to have them checked out. Again, if I was really concerned I would be more proactive.

Latest posts

Back