Bought a 576 AT

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Mingo, how long have you been running that skidder . What size main line do you run ? How many chockers ?? How long do tires last ?

On the cutting side ., do you guys notice the bar being sticky in the cut when cutting poplar / I have noticed it alot with cottonwood and the silver poplar that we have up here .

So Mingo, how long have you been running that skidder . What size main line do you run ? How many chockers ?? How long do tires last ?

On the cutting side ., do you guys notice the bar being sticky in the cut when cutting poplar / I have noticed it alot with cottonwood and the silver poplar that we have up here .

The skidder is a 1977 and I bought it in 1980 traded a 350 TJ for it. I run a 5/8 swaged cable with 8 slides. Have had real good luck with Firestone Forestry Specials. The ones I have on now I bought new close to 10 years ago running chains really helps with tire life. Poplar is real soft and feels like your pulling the fibre rather than cutting them.

Wow . 32 years . That sure is encouraging . I'm constantly parinoid about breakdowns . Nice to know somethings will last if taken care of .

I found that running the Dura Pro chain worked great for cottonwood / poplar . It cut the same kerf as 404 chain . The bar would slide yhru the cut real well . They quit making Dura Pro chain so if I have to cut a bunch of it I'll put 404 chain on . I used to bushel with 404 . It cuts alot better than alot of people would think .

My loggin season is pretty much done . Ground is thawing and the state won't let me log in the summer .

I've had the 576a/t for about 9 months now. I like the power and smoothness it is a bit heavier than the 372, but the power and fuel economy overshadow that. It has a ways to go in my opinion to match the dependability of the pre-stratified 372. Here's alist of things that have happened in the nine months

Replaced muffler my fault for not checking the bolts enough.

Replaced carburetor welch plug came loose warranty covered it.

Replaced coil old coil would not match up with new carb warranty covered it.

Replaced decompression valve it was sticking, and causing starting problems.

Replaced cover strap broke off some how took one off a 575 parts saw it View attachment 235087is orange instead of gray.

Mine is starting to gain power..maybe 3 tanks through it now. Clearly has more power than my hired man's re-ringed 372XP..where at first I wasn't so sure.

I lose those cover snap straps about every 3 weeks...poor design.
I never use the decomp button on my saws, never occurs to me.

Mine is starting to gain power..maybe 3 tanks through it now. Clearly has more power than my hired man's re-ringed 372XP..where at first I wasn't so sure.

I lose those cover snap straps about every 3 weeks...poor design.
I never use the decomp button on my saws, never occurs to me.

I use the decomp out of habit it starts fine without it. Don't forget to check the muffler screws in that new autotune.

I had a muffler screw pretty loose after this last load i cut up

Ya I guess so they have them brand new on eBay for twenty bucks, well I traded my 576 at for a 390 I didn't have any problems with my at just wanted a 390

I know where their is a sweet used one for sale that I have never had a problem with but I can guarantee it won't be there long since I'm in husky land

Back