Bought a 576 AT

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

Talked to the dealer about the 576A/T flooding he said they had some trouble in the 576 but not in the autotune.Told me the needle was sticking and try putting a cap full of injection cleaner in the gas. Said there having problems because of the gas. Has anyone tried injection cleaner in their saws?

Was -9 this morning the 576 fired right up I was wondering because the 575 of mine always started hard when it was cold. Since I've had the off and on flooding problem I always start it with the coke off, and if doesn't fire after a couple of pulls I pull the choke out. Today it fired with the first 1/2 pull no coke. It did flood once today had to dry the plug off and after about six pulls holding the trigger it fired. One other thing the throttle locked open on it I thought maybe the cable had got ice in it, but when I pulled the cover saw that a screw had come loose lodged between the throttle lever and the autotune electronics. Have to check those screws.View attachment 217906View attachment 217907View attachment 217908 3pics

I wish I had a dollar for every time I have boosted right to the starter on my machines.:dizzy:
It was -12 here last night, and it was 2:30 before I got the JD started...might have a bit to do with the circa 2005 batteries. New ones are on the list.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I have boosted right to the starter on my machines.:dizzy:
It was -12 here last night, and it was 2:30 before I got the JD started...might have a bit to do with the circa 2005 batteries. New ones are on the list.

My battery box is in the cab behind the seat is a pain to get to. I found it's a lot easier to go rigt to the starter, that's where you want the juice to go any how. I put new batteries in last year and I didn't get it started until 11. Dumped 5 gallons of kero in Saturday to make sure I didn't have a gel problems with the fuel. Going to be in the forties today with rain crazy weather.

Mingo thanks for reporting on the 576AT.

As far as the hard starting on the skidders. I would recommend Amsoil 5w-30 or 5w-40 synthetic (I've used both for years) and when/if you have the injectors rebuild, have them set the pop off pressures higher. I have two John Deere 540B's and one CAT 518 that the glow plugs don't work on and I don't even own a can of ether. The John Deere's have been in -10-15 degree stuff in Iowa and never used ether or extra batteries to start them. They start like gasoline engines in the cold.

The Amsoil really helps, between the two JD 540B's I had Rotella 15w-40 and Amsoil in the other one and the synthetic really turned much quicker when cold.

Just an idea,

Sam

Mingo thanks for reporting on the 576AT.

As far as the hard starting on the skidders. I would recommend Amsoil 5w-30 or 5w-40 synthetic (I've used both for years) and when/if you have the injectors rebuild, have them set the pop off pressures higher. I have two John Deere 540B's and one CAT 518 that the glow plugs don't work on and I don't even own a can of ether. The John Deere's have been in -10-15 degree stuff in Iowa and never used ether or extra batteries to start them. They start like gasoline engines in the cold.

The Amsoil really helps, between the two JD 540B's I had Rotella 15w-40 and Amsoil in the other one and the synthetic really turned much quicker when cold.

Just an idea,

Sam

Thanks Slamm I sure it would turn over a lot faster with synthetic than the Rotella 15w-40 that I have in it. The Detroit Diesel is different from the Cat and Deere it's a 2cycle engine no intake valves no injection pump. Large volume of air is forced in through ports in the liners by way of a blower or supercharger. It has what is called a unit injector which works off a rocker arm. The large amounts of cold air being forced into the cylinder is why it usually needs a shot of starting fluid. In the 70's and 80's Detroit wanted you to run straight 40w year round. Had heater hoses on the pickup that plugged into the skidder and it circulated coolant between the two. Had to be careful if you reved the pickup to quick you could crack the heads on the pickup.

-2 this morning, put an oregon 72ck semi skip on the other day. I usually run 72jg full skip,but I got a good buy on the ck loops. The ck did not cut that great out of the box, but after I round filed it and took the rakers down using a file-o-plate I really like the way it cuts doesn't seem to grab when loping the small brush down like the jg. Picked up my 7900 that was flooding from the saw shop they said the diaphragm in the carb was bad. The other 7900 with an air leak they said the rubber boot on the carb was cracked and had one on order. We'll see how long they go before there's another problem with them.

Thanks Slamm I sure it would turn over a lot faster with synthetic than the Rotella 15w-40 that I have in it. The Detroit Diesel is different from the Cat and Deere it's a 2cycle engine no intake valves no injection pump. Large volume of air is forced in through ports in the liners by way of a blower or supercharger. It has what is called a unit injector which works off a rocker arm. The large amounts of cold air being forced into the cylinder is why it usually needs a shot of starting fluid. In the 70's and 80's Detroit wanted you to run straight 40w year round. Had heater hoses on the pickup that plugged into the skidder and it circulated coolant between the two. Had to be careful if you reved the pickup to quick you could crack the heads on the pickup.

Those heater hoses are sure handy, my buddy Bert had a set on his truck and his 540A Skidder, we'd sit in the warm truck for a little while and then go hit the starter and it'd start right away, if I worked in colder areas I would sure make a set and have them on everything. His were just flat couplings and hydraulic hose, very easy to make, never spilled a drop.

As a note to others, make sure you have clean fluid in your skidder and truck so that you don't ruin one or the other or both, a coolant filter would be a good idea, you would only need the filter on one or the other, really.

Good luck, Mingo, let us know how the Dolmars go.

I think I will be back to logging or at least getting the equipment ready for the mud, ice, snow, rain and whatever else we get in February, LOL.

Sam

Got the 7900 back last night fire it up this morning to cut up first hitch and it won't idle. Crank the idle screw up and it runs great until it runs out of gas fill it up, and it won't start. Grab the 372 and finish cutting up the hitch. Come out with the next hitch and the 7900 fires right up go figure. The 576a/t has been running great the last couple of days no flooding problems what so ever. I did put a little injection cleaner in the tank a few days ago, but who knows if that worked or not. Few pics from today.View attachment 218671View attachment 218676View attachment 218677View attachment 218678 4 pictures

Got the 7900 back last night fire it up this morning to cut up first hitch and it won't idle. Crank the idle screw up and it runs great until it runs out of gas fill it up, and it won't start. Grab the 372 and finish cutting up the hitch. Come out with the next hitch and the 7900 fires right up go figure. The 576a/t has been running great the last couple of days no flooding problems what so ever. I did put a little injection cleaner in the tank a few days ago, but who knows if that worked or not. Few pics from today.View attachment 218671View attachment 218676View attachment 218677View attachment 218678 4 pictures

I saw that choker-poker and got the piss shivers! I could buy a nice pair of work boots with what I spent on those things only to lose them 2 days after buying them...

I saw that choker-poker and got the piss shivers! I could buy a nice pair of work boots with what I spent on those things only to lose them 2 days after buying them...

I used to tie orange ribbon on them but I found pink duct tape is more durable. I have had that one for quite a few years. I will forget to pick it up after using it every other day and have to go back and look for it, but the pink tape saves a lot of time. I'm also a big fan of painting my axes fluorescent orange or pink, and like to wrap the pink duct tape around the handle just under the head.

I used to tie orange ribbon on them but I found pink duct tape is more durable. I have had that one for quite a few years. I will forget to pick it up after using it every other day and have to go back and look for it, but the pink tape saves a lot of time. I'm also a big fan of painting my axes fluorescent orange or pink, and like to wrap the pink duct tape around the handle just under the head.

For the love of God Mingo, go get a decent D/A grapple for yourself! Like I said before, the TJ will sell quick!

Ranger 666 Skidder

I had 3 7900 that did the samething. They were in the shop several times each. When they run they rungood but i dont have time to babysit a saw so i got rid of them. I bough a 576 at a month ago and i like it a lot after i opened the exhaust up.I like how it starts in two pulls no matter how cold it is.

Back