Bought a 576 AT

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know what you mean, we got a grapple and a cable for the real steep stuff.We have been bunching for a couple weeks on one job,cant do any skidding until it freezes upgood,it is a government job.But the other crew over on the other job has been skidding for a few weeks.It just depends on how the weather has been from one side of the mountain to the other.

Great day to be working in the woods today frozen ground 44 degrees no snow can't get any better. I have been using my 7900 on the landing to cut up logs today it started to act up wouldn't idle down dropped it off at the saw shop on the way home he thinks it has an air leak those 7900 always have issues. Some pics from todayView attachment 215588View attachment 215589

Careful Mingo....the Dolmar brigade will come crashing down on you if you dis Dolmar any more.

I have said the same about them. Powerful, heavy, fall to pieces a lot.

Careful Mingo....the Dolmar brigade will come crashing down on you if you dis Dolmar any more.

I have said the same about them. Powerful, heavy, fall to pieces a lot.

I know they run great for a while and I'll start thinking this isn't a bad saw then something will go wrong with them and snap me back into reality that they just are not a dependable saw.

Cool pics Mingo. Glad your liking the 576AT. I loved the one i ran. A ton of power she had. And smooth as silk to boot.

Cool pics Mingo. Glad your liking the 576AT. I loved the one i ran. A ton of power she had. And smooth as silk to boot.

I do like it the av system is great and it has good power, but every once in a while it will flood seems to do it after you fill it up. It was over 50 degrees today sure doesn't feel like January last year I was waist deep in snow at this time.

Last edited:
I do like it the av system is great and it has good power, but every once in a while it will flood seems to do it after you fill it up.

Really? I tell ya when i say a ton of power, I mean it. For a stock saw she is great. A very wide powerband for sure. A 576AT is a great saw IMHO.

Last edited:
Flooding

The 576a/t flooded again today. Was running fine all morning then after lunch went to start it and saw gas coming out of the muffler. Pulled the plug and dried it off turned it over a few times without the plug put it back in and it started after a few pulls with the air cleaner off. Ran ok rest of the afternoon except a couple of times when it wouldn't idle. It's got me puzzled. Maybe it has something to do with the breather seems to do it with the tank full.

That's exactly what happened to my 575, it would flood really bad, fill the muffler right up.
I thought it was a vent issue. Not.
It was the carb, it was junk. Put in a "rebuild" kit @ dealer, JUNK.
$140 later, new carb, ran perfect again.

Ethanol.

Use the ethanol treatment religiously. Willing to bet your saw has an ethanol related issue.
I have this new carb here on the now junked 575..it's yours if you want it. Don't know if it'll work on an AT.

That's exactly what happened to my 575, it would flood really bad, fill the muffler right up.
I thought it was a vent issue. Not.
It was the carb, it was junk. Put in a "rebuild" kit @ dealer, JUNK.
$140 later, new carb, ran perfect again.

Ethanol.

Use the ethanol treatment religiously. Willing to bet your saw has an ethanol related issue.
I have this new carb here on the now junked 575..it's yours if you want it. Don't know if it'll work on an AT.

Thanks for the offer I have a carb off a 575 parts saw. I had to truck in the morning, but the saw ran fine this afternoon. I always treat my gas star tron and stabilView attachment 216470

Look at the twist on that old swamp maple. Yikes! Imagine cutting that to 20" and then splitting it with a maul! Tougher than a boiled owl!

Your right about that there is a lot of ugly soft maple on this job. The 576 ran trouble free today, but my dolmar 7900 wouldn't rev up the other one wouldn't rev down what joke.

Look at the twist on that old swamp maple. Yikes!

What do you do with the soft maple? Sell it for firewood? Or just cutting it to get it out of the way?

I burn a lot since I have a lot, but I always hate it when I'm cutting in a grove of the twisted stuff because it's a heck of a lot of work to split by hand for the amount of heat I get :D

What do you do with the soft maple? Sell it for firewood? Or just cutting it to get it out of the way?

I burn a lot since I have a lot, but I always hate it when I'm cutting in a grove of the twisted stuff because it's a heck of a lot of work to split by hand for the amount of heat I get :D

The bigger wood that is wormy or rotten goes for pulp the smaller straight stuff goes for firewood, and the rest gets shipped for logs.

Wind was blowing pretty good today gusts up to 40mph. Decided to go around and cut some high stumps I had left for bumps on a section that I had finished. Used my 372 with heated handles that I bought in 04, I just use this saw in the winters. When it was about a month old a stick came in the cab of the skidder an broke the rear handle on the curve at the bottom. I bent a piece of coat hanger and stuck it in the break and then epoxied it over and taped it up has been good ever since. It has a small muffler mod and I never have had a problem with this saw maybe changed a couple of av mounts but thats it heated handles still work great. Started snowing like crazy on the way home.View attachment 217189View attachment 217190 2pics

Latest posts

Back