bouncing saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am gonna take a wild guess and maybe its due to using barracuda chain aka power sharp chain, that all i can think of.

Twas painful to watch.

A good hand saw would have been just as fast.

Hell, I think a butter knife would have been faster....:msp_confused:

Assuming nothing is broken. Rakers not rounded off or too low. Wrong cutter side plate angle or top plate cutting (not filing) angle, especially if the chain has been ground.
Out of interest is this what happens if you use a ripping chain to crosscut?

Last edited:
my shoulders are hurting from just watching it,,, i think my 370 echo would have whooped it

dads old craftsman 3.7cu in. saw would absolutely smoke that thing...actually for an old torque monster saw it pulls the 18" oregon powermatch bar excellent buried...i gotta get the carb rebuilt..lol

I think there are a few reasons this saw is bouncing madly in the cut. He's obviously got something going on here with raker height etc but the fact he's not running spikes on the saw is making it a whole lot worse. There is nothing to stabilise the saw in the cut. Even though his chain specs are out of whack I'd bet with spikes on the saw it would be hardly noticable.

Out of interest is this what happens if you use a ripping chain to crosscut?

This is EXACTLY what happens when trying to crosscut with ripping chain. I tried it once and only once. Punishing on yourself and your saw, and not to mention dangerous, particularly in hardwoods. I bought a heap of Carlton Ripping chain for a bargain from a Sten's sale a few years ago for about $100/100' (plus $100 freight to Australia :( ). Best bit is that it is a Semi Chisel profile with 10° cutter angle. I just reground it to 30° and dropped the rakers a tad and ah la Semi Chisel on the cheap :)

Some are hinting that it is the saw itself. When the chain speed is slow enough, even a new chain will bounce like that. . . .

He needs Popeye style forearms like yours to hold it stable :D You're right though but I think something else is at play here and I'm betting if he had felling spikes on the saw it wouldn't look anywhere near as bad.

Here is a video of me with a Montgomery Wards 3.7, no dawgs on this saw and I'm sure the chain is something that I got for free somewhere because I pulled it out of a box. It is not bouncing around but I am having a hard time getting it to pull itself in the wood, here a set of dawgs would have helped so I am going to say the original saw has a chain problem.

[video=youtube;hcYPsh9CbF4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcYPsh9CbF4[/video]

Here is a video of me with a Montgomery Wards 3.7, no dawgs on this saw and I'm sure the chain is something that I got for free somewhere because I pulled it out of a box. It is not bouncing around but I am having a hard time getting it to pull itself in the wood, here a set of dawgs would have helped so I am going to say the original saw has a chain problem.

My last name is Ward and I believe my Grandad, Montgomery, may have owned that company.
OK, maybe not...

Back