Branch choked w/ biner for SRT

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't worry about hurting feelings but the thread stays active longer if everyone plays nice in the sandbox. Getting e-anger is too hard to express via the keyboard though. Please jump into the discussion!

"I wonder how some of you experienced climbers make any money with all the precautions and aprehensions you take,"

Maybe us experienced climbers are experienced because we take precautions and are a bit apprehensive. Some of these ideas are based in a different mind set than a lot of the world runs in. Arbos tend to be the most brutal workers in any of the working rope disciplines. The gear use protocols are very loose compared to other rope professions. Arbos would not be able to stand up to the scrutiny of others either. I'm making generalities here on purpose. The generality is true, in my experience.

Take a look in any of the biner company catalog to read about cross loading. Transpose the picture of a biner being wrapped across a knob of rock for wrapping a biner across a bark flake. The picture will have the Universal NO! sign for rock and it would for bark too.

We may seem to split hairs and harp a lot about mundane details here. But, by gradually learning and changing your procedures, there isn't any time lost. Like others have said in this thread, its quicker to tie a running bowline and just forget about any possibility of cross loading.

Unsafe procedures are like bending paper clips. Even bending the clip a little, if done long enough, will break the clip. A hard bend could break the clip the first time.

Any day is a good day when we go home walking!

Tom

Originally posted by treeclimber165

Perhaps one day I might even meet someone who consistently uses a false crotch. Hasn't happened yet.

I use a false crotch consistently and occasionally two in the same tree like I did yesterday. I sometimes won't use a false crotch when I am using my pruning lanyard (double-ended with hip Prusik) in crabapples. Otherwise if I am working a tree, I am using a false crotch, even on removals.

TMW

Tom Dunlap- I've read your reply's several times and It seems you try real hard to make others look less than you, maybe Im wrong if I am I apologize if Im correct then maybe theres something to take a look at???? If your ever in Cincinnati give me a email and I'll be glad to play battle of the witts or take you on a few jobs and see if you can back up all your condencending know it all remarks.

a battle of the witts ?
Just gotta see that, sounds like too much fun to miss !

---------------------------------------
Peace is global patriotism, too.

Higherup, Tom speaks authoritatively with regularity and you aren't the first to accuse him of being condescending (myself included). Keep reading his posts and you will realize that he knows whereof he speaks about climbing. His politics are screwy though.;) (Just teasing Tom-I readily concede that you have the right to disagree with me politically-lots of other people are wrong too!:D )

If your ever in Cincinnati give me a email and I'll be glad to play battle of the witts or take you on a few jobs and see if you can back up all your condencending know it all remarks.

Higherup,

I've been accused of being a "Mr. Know-Almost-All" before. :) That's one of my shortcomings that I work on to become a better person. Sorry if that puts you off. Think of the old adage, Don't kill the messenger.

Likewise, if you ever find your way in the Land of 10,000 Taxes, be sure to get hold of me. I don't get into battles, look at my sig :) Whenever I travel, I do combine work in the mix. I've spent time with arbo friends around the country and had a great time. Instead of mooching a room, we go out and get some work done and compare notes.

I believe what I believe because it works for me and a lot of my buddies too. In my youth I didn't have the common sense and good judgement that thirty years of climbing has taught me. Take whatever I say for what you pay for it, zip, free not one thin dime.

Stick around AS and Tr*ebuzz too. There's a lot to learn!

Tom

Use a Maillon Rapide instead of a biner to choke your srt line to the limb. Unscrew it when you get there and go. The screw link is not as fragile as the biner and cuts down on friction if using a retrieval line.

These newfangled saftey things are slower. That is a fact......if you try to implement them the first time on a job. You really have to do it on your own time and not in the middle of a job.

We have a mini-rec climb here on Sunday morning with a few of us to share techniques and saftey methods. Austin is pretty stone-age when it comes to climbers.

Trees vary from region to region so does pay and the type of work being done. One thing is constant, a paycheck is no good to a dead man.;)

Techniques and the work being done vary so I don't always listen up when Tom says what to do but since he has done this stuff for 30 years, is still alive and still can do the work, my ears are wide open when he talks about what NOT to do.

Well, I had 15 trees to trim today. Large and medium oaks, most in clusters where I could access 2-3 trees in one climb. I used a running bowline instead of clipping the biner and it was just as fast. I also used the biner for my safety in my handled ascender, then when I got up there I removed the biner from the ascender and used it on my lifeline eye splice. This method also allows me to leave a long tail on the bowline if necessary so I can reach the knot while standing on a limb several feet below my tie-in.

I'm sold, thanks guys!

Maillions

If you are worried about choking a branch with a carabiner, a steel maillon screwlink may be more comforting.

What would be a safe diameter to 'running-karab-choke' a limb? At what outer circumfrence of a round support (limb)is the curve to sharp as to put severe stress on a properly loaded (long axis) karab? i think we need an informed standard here, if one doesn't already exist.

How does a guy that chooses a name like 'HigherUP' accuse a veteran of placing himself higher than others? :confused: i think a lot of us around here have learned a lot from each other, especially from Tom. i tend to think that his confidence isn't very hollow; some might even say deserving of a second read. But, that would be being too nice for me to do!:D

I often read on here about changin the dialog from negative bashing or e.t.c. and here it is a week later from my post to Tom and yet some Idi** comes back and leaves a neg post, I think you guys welcome neg feedback or dialog.

higherup,
You may need another cup of coffee to wake up before blasting people for no reason. The negative posts I see here are yours.

Of all the people here to accuse of being 'holier-than-thou', Tom would be the LAST one on the list. The man has been climbing and learning all his life and is on the cutting edge when it comes to the newest advances and techniques. I am grateful that he shares his insight with us. I have never seen a post where he has bashed anyone on this forum. And where do you get off calling Spydey an idiot? I cannot see anything in his post that is negative or bashing. Ken is one of the most peaceful people on this forum. Are you sure your name isn't Jock?
:angry:

Tree climber i was not going to reply to your comment, until I was reading on the the residential post and seen where someone else was taken by your smooth personality and then I decided I owe it to the community to let u know Im aware of your smart$$$ comments and dont appreciate it.

I live to annoy idiots and morons. Actually, it gives me a hard on. Looks like I got two this week!
;)

Spyder,
Making a blanket recomendation as to when it's safe to choke with a binner can't be done. If there is a stub or peice of bark sticking out, it could break the binner. Don't choke binners at all, they are not made for that.

Higherdown,
Brian may be a smarta$$, at least he's not a dumba$$.:p

I dont know who the moderator is but he should of shut you idiots down long ago, your obviously some young immature unexperienced goof balls who sit around with your cheeseballs and scan several sights looking for what gets you off. its a shame that it only takes a couple morons to ruin a good thing, I'd be curious to know how many people you guys have run off this site with your antics, which is a shame because those people have things to share which we all could learn from. try remember its principles before personalitys.

Goofy cheese balls??

We are trying to remember it is principles before personalities, that is why I am saying you should continue to contribute here eventhough you have made several abrasive posts knocking some well known industry innovators and other soon to be well known industry innovators.

You work with trees right, then you must have thick skin. I am guilty of taking the bait too.

There is somewhat of a clique here. It is not a bad one. You just have to know the personalities here before you can send any jabs. Some people may not think it is funny just like you didn't.

Stay professional, stay here, we ALL have more to learn. If you know it all, what is around every corner and every trick, then what is the point in living?

Ya'll are welcome to remind me of this next time I get a pissy attitude.

Originally posted by Higherup
I dont know who the moderator is but he should of shut you idiots down long ago, your obviously some young immature unexperienced goof balls who sit around with your cheeseballs and scan several sights looking for what gets you off. its a shame that it only takes a couple morons to ruin a good thing, I'd be curious to know how many people you guys have run off this site with your antics, which is a shame because those people have things to share which we all could learn from. try remember its principles before personalitys.

I don't know 'bout anyone else, but this cat just made my ignore list!!!:D

Back