Brand loyalty vs. logic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brand Loyalty vs. Logic.......

I started this whole CAD thing about a year and a half ago. I have extremely limited time using the saws that I purchase. But I feel in that year and and a half I have a good amount of time fixing them but still ALOT to learn. As far as "LOGIC" goes, I think I have a good eye at looking at anything and coming to the conclusion of whether something is built right or wrong.

The pro saws I find for cheap are STIHL. Not a lot of any other brand where I live. So a few months ago I decided I needed a Husqvarna XP model saw to see what they are all about. I picked up a 357xp which was manufactured in 2005. Again, I don't have a lot of time running this saw but after seeing how it was built I don't need to. I was shocked when I saw how the impulse line gets from the cylinder to the carb. I have an 028 which is how many years older and there is a nipple on the case and one piece of hose. That is it. There are like 4 or 5 parts on that 357 that the impulse line has to go threw before it gets to the carb. Are you serious? STIHL saws get a bad wrap because of there lack of technological advances. Maybe they have done this to focus on building there saws like like a tank. To me I would rather have a machine that does what it does day in and day out to a machine that has the latest bells and whistles. Perfect the basics before moving on.

Again I am no expert by any means. I did not see alot of Husqvarnas around so I bought one to try it out. I am not saying that all Husqvarna saws get there impulse line the same way as this 357 does. All I am saying for this to be my first professional model Husqvarna saw, I was extremely disappointed and will find it hard to out of my way and spend a decent amount on any Husqvarna chainsaw. For me a professional tool not only has to perform great, but also has to be built to last.

Just my two, not going to get in any shouting matches over a piece of metal and plastic. Lets just all have a :beer: and TALK about saws.

:cheers:

Stay away from old poulans, youll get spoiled and not want to work on much else.

I am NOT brand loyal. If you make a product that I need and it is a solid piece...SOLD!

I do have a local 'mom and pop' Stihl dealer I frequent for small stuff. Not the closest but I like their attitude. (Even though I run more Husqvarnas. :taped: )

Dealer support - been discussed in detail.

Experience with the brand - if you have had a good experience, why 'try something else'?

Common parts - one group I work with has a number of saws. Standardizing on one brand allows us to share/interchange parts when needed, sometimes between different models/sizes (bars, sprockets, spark plugs, filters, etc.).

Common operation - was mentioned. Almost all STIHLS have the 'master control lever', which simplifies training. Many Huskys/Jonsereds are similar to each other, but not identical (purge bulbs, etc.). Little things like starting tricks, winters/summer operation, etc., often carry over in a brand.

Servicing - if you work on your own saws, you learn certain things that may not carry over to other brands, and may acquire specific servicing tools that only work with certain brands/models.

Familiarity - some things just feel more comfortable.

That said . . .

I own a rainbow of saws. Mostly 'opportunity saws' as opposed to an intentional choice. If you own one saw and replace it when it dies, no problem switching brands. But if I was buying multiple saws for work, I would try to stick with one line unless I had a really good reason.

Philbert

I grew up on stihls, I almost wanted to hide the first husky i bought so my dad didnt get mad.

I got a 142, "used" I needed a smaller saw for limbing and stuff, and a little back up saw, I liked the power ,although it seemed like the muffler wasnt all there, but she really cut, I have had it a couple years and have never cleaned the air filter . looks like you have to remove a bunch of screws to get to it. and the chain is a pain in the butt to get on and off. and the bar is like a piece of tin foil "weak as can be" get it pinched one time and its bent, and no felling spikes, I am just comparing this to a 026 i was using previous. I bought and sold a 455 rancher recently that seemed built better than the 142 so maybe its just the smaller ones, but when it came to a 142 or an 026 I liked the stihl. i got a little ms 210 now for a limbing saw... the husky 142 . i can use for a boat anchor!!!

and the gas and oil caps on huskies are nice if you have a pliers in you back pocket to loosen them when you want to refill.

I grew up on stihls, I almost wanted to hide the first husky i bought so my dad didnt get mad.

I got a 142, "used" I needed a smaller saw for limbing and stuff, and a little back up saw, I liked the power ,although it seemed like the muffler wasnt all there, but she really cut, I have had it a couple years and have never cleaned the air filter . looks like you have to remove a bunch of screws to get to it. and the chain is a pain in the butt to get on and off. and the bar is like a piece of tin foil "weak as can be" get it pinched one time and its bent, and no felling spikes, I am just comparing this to a 026 i was using previous. I bought and sold a 455 rancher recently that seemed built better than the 142 so maybe its just the smaller ones, but when it came to a 142 or an 026 I liked the stihl. i got a little ms 210 now for a limbing saw... the husky 142 . i can use for a boat anchor!!!

and the gas and oil caps on huskies are nice if you have a pliers in you back pocket to loosen them when you want to refill.

You surely picked about the worst Huskys to compare your Stihls to - but the MS210 should be no better than the (Poulan made and EPA demoted) Husky 142. The older Husky 141 (also Poulan made) was quite a bit better - and the Husky 340 a lot better (Swedish made).

Last edited:
but when it came to a 142 or an 026 I liked the stihl. .

I much prefer changing a chain on an in-board clutch saw (most STIHLs) vs an outboard clutch (most Huskys). I find basic cleaning and field service on STIHLs easier: no chain brake components come off with the sprocket cover; the rim/sprocket come off with just an 'E'-clip, etc.

But a Husky 142 to a STIHL 026 is not a fair comparison (quality or power). Better comparisons in this range:

Husky 142 to STIHL 170/180/210

Husky 350 to STIHL 250

Husky 353 to STIHL 260

Philbert

I much prefer changing a chain on an in-board clutch saw (most STIHLs) vs an outboard clutch (most Huskys). I find basic cleaning and field service on STIHLs easier: no chain brake components come off with the sprocket cover; the rim/sprocket come off with just an 'E'-clip, etc.

But a Husky 142 to a STIHL 026 is not a fair comparison (quality or power). Better comparisons in this range:

Husky 350 to STIHL 250

Husky 353 to STIHL 260

Philbert

more design than power comparison. seems the stihls all have the same basic design just bigger or smaller. and i now have a ms210 and still have the same complaints about the 142. It has good power just dont like the design.

Husky 350 to STIHL 250

Husky 353 to STIHL 260

Philbert

You are wrong about the first part of that post (imo), but you are right about the last part.

It also is true that a Husky 41/141 is a much better saw than an 021/MS210, despite they was made by Poulan.

Im dealer loyal. With saying that, the deal I go to will work on Stihls, Husky's, Mac's or Pioneers. He doesnt care.

As for brand? I own my Stihls than Husky's, it happens. I enjoy them all and make money with them. Whichever I feel like running that day, I'll grab it. Even got rid of a few saws I wish I had not.

I have only 1 Stihl (028) and 9 Huskies. I'm familiar with working on husqvarna so that's what I pretty much stick to. They're not as involving as vehicles. With cars, I'm not brand loyal, but I do notice differences. With Chevy there was traditionally a lot of interchangeability and lots of people were modifying them. They were a bit less expensive than Fords and so it makes sense the poor folks would be most inclined to work on their own cars. Ford engines had blind head bolt holes in the block, evenly spaced intake/exhaust ports, better rocker arm design, better oil pump design, distributor at the 'right' end of the cam, and typically better casting. Ford's C4 and C6 transmissions were good (C4 better than TH350, C6 not quite as good as TH400) but were touchy with shift timing... had to get the valve body right. But Chevy's 700R4 and descendants (4L60E and similar) were weak compared to the AOD-E and 4R70W. And the Ford axles were better. Anyway, no engine has ever told me it cared what name was on the valve cover. Ford would make an entirely new bracket and intake manifold to accomodate a new accesory arrangement. Chevy would typically just use an existing bolt with some steel braces and 'slap it together'. Saved the buyer money but makes the mechanic unhappy. I like my BMW 540i/6 and I appreciate the cheap simplicity of my old Integra. Every brand has its quirks and some examples are sorta duds and some are great.

Now, the lines are much more blurred with cars. Some of my friends are very chevy loyal. I had to show them how similar the LSx chevy engine they love is VERY similar to the old small block ford. Even the LS head bolts right onto the Ford block.

I'm not brand loyal or a brand whore. I am loyal to what works and what I like. My first saw was a Poulan Pro which didn't run right after two weeks. Maybe my fault, I don't know. Graduated to the Husqvarna Rancher 455 and loved it. I've also ran my FIL's small Stihl - not sure which model and it ran fine. Time for a new saw, Husqvarna worked well for me and did a great job so that is what I stuck with. I stick with what works.

I eat Chicken Chesapeake from the Seafood place we go to because I know I like it and won't be disappointed. I have an Iphone because I've had good experience with it and it just works. I eat the same sushi and Chinese dishes most times because I know I'll be happy.

Dealer support is good. I like to buy from people I like. Bought my saw from a good guy and then went back and bought my new Techlite bar from him and two chains. He also adjusted my saw for me for no charge after my mods. It was adjusted way to rich as far as I can tell but it wasn't warmed up and was only about 25 degrees when he did so. Not sure he had logs out back either so it may have just been a tach and go situation. I'll cut him some slack there. He's helpful and never gets irritated with my barage of questions. Hopefully I'll find a few dealers on here I can buy from also as I'd love to support the site sponsors.

I'm mainly a Stihl guy, but I've sure been leaning heavily on the older Poulan "Pro" saws and Homelites lately. Solidly built to last. That, along with "American Made" is what sways me toward them more nowadays. The more saws I see with plastic handles and internals, the more depressed I become knowing I missed the best days of saws built to last. I'm not talking abut the incredibly slow cutting and over-weight dinosaur saws (no offense), but of the more modern "metal" saws produced during the '80s and '90s. I find I'm much less a diehard "Stihl" guy with the more exposure I get to the old Poulans etc.....

I am going with what I like,not naming brands,just as a clue ,think of two big names, saws trucks,and so on,and it is one way or another,I try both and pick the best,whatever I happen to prefer or enjoy more,so oh well if you like what I like ,or something else, they are both o.k.Only thing is ,they do the same thing,if you really give it a thought,like going from point A to B,or sawing some wood it all ends the same,just my 2 cents.Have a nice day !

I always get a kick out of the ...my dealer sucks...comment. So after 10 years in your community you find out you need the local guy and ask for a Bucket of spit wash to make your supersonic crap cutter wiz into the next storm clearing job out of the shed its been stacked in for three seasons with 5 year old mix and expect the dealer to welcome you with open arms offer you coffee and beer, maybe use of the remote so you can catch up on your securities purchases maybe make you lunch while he sharpens your chain?

How about you take some time to get to know him, use his services and wait....hold on ...maybe say thank you or tip him, or buy him a Wendy's #2 special the next time you go to Wendy's , not just the next time you go to the dealer for something you need NOW.

He runs a business, it makes sense and cents to cater to his "regulars". It took me years to get friendly with my local dealer. Is a two way street, make your self valuable to him and he may make himself valuable to you. Stay on the innernet if you can't deal with people....that's that it was made for.

I'm not a faller, arborist, or any other professional who views these appliances as a tool for a job. I am an enthusiast to whom logic does not and never will apply.

I like what I like because it is fun from my point of view. That others like them too is just a bonus.

ARRRR.
attachment.php

That's a bad azz saw!!!

I would buy lunch for the poor smuck out back actually working on the saw for a 1/10 of my bill.:msp_scared:

A factor in brand loyalty that has not been mentioned is that a person like me, who has been using Stihl chainsaws for a long time will have become accustomed to the look at feel of the saws and the way they are balanced when you hold them. I also have a shelf full of bars and chains that will fit Stihls (over a dozen good bars ranging from 16" .325 to 36" .404; and coutless chains).

So when I recently replaced my 066 Arctic with a MS 660 Magnum, I was reluctant to not get a Stihl. The Echo dealer even told me to buy a Stihl (which meant he lost business).

I always get a kick out of the ...my dealer sucks...comment. So after 10 years in your community you find out you need the local guy and ask for a Bucket of spit wash to make your supersonic crap cutter wiz into the next storm clearing job out of the shed its been stacked in for three seasons with 5 year old mix and expect the dealer to welcome you with open arms offer you coffee and beer, maybe use of the remote so you can catch up on your securities purchases maybe make you lunch while he sharpens your chain?

How about you take some time to get to know him, use his services and wait....hold on ...maybe say thank you or tip him, or buy him a Wendy's #2 special the next time you go to Wendy's , not just the next time you go to the dealer for something you need NOW.

He runs a business, it makes sense and cents to cater to his "regulars". It took me years to get friendly with my local dealer. Is a two way street, make your self valuable to him and he may make himself valuable to you. Stay on the innernet if you can't deal with people....that's that it was made for.

I buy mine beer. Nothing like a cold one just at closing time with a good BS session. Once in a while other forms of adult drinks too.

Back