Brand loyalty vs. logic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would buy lunch for the poor smuck out back actually working on the saw for a 1/10 of my bill.:msp_scared:

I agree with that. I suspect that "product fixers" (actual techs,mechanics)throuout the country have been getting screwed on the "food chain" over the last 10-20 years.

more design than power comparison. seems the stihls all have the same basic design just bigger or smaller. and i now have a ms210 and still have the same complaints about the 142. It has good power just dont like the design.
I'm still pissed off that Husky took my money for the Husky 142e - slapping a choked up cat muffler on a chainsaw that has a carb which cannot hold anything like a proper fuel/air ratio is not proper engineering or design, it's BS. That lots of other manufacturers are still foisting that junk on customers doesn't make it OK. That's what I mean about not trusting manufacturers - they knew they were selling me carp.

Once I put a 141 muffler (with the baffle drilled) and shield on it works great, and I find it to be one of my favorite saws - light, and powerful. The 0.043" narrow kerf MicroLite bar is bound to be weaker than a thicker bar, but you can put any 0.050" LoPro bar on from a Poulan, and I find the MicroLite to cut really fast on that saw. You could even put a 0.325" drive sprocket on it if you want. I have several other saws in that class, but none are faster than the 142.

And the 142 filter is 3 screws to remove the cover and 2 to remove the filter. With the excellent turbo clean setup it doesn't need cleaning very often.

Last edited:
I buy mine beer. Nothing like a cold one just at closing time with a good BS session. Once in a while other forms of adult drinks too.

Good on ya for that....

Your gonna laugh but I buy cannolis for my techs...

Funny story, the other day I was there buying stuff for a ms260 that they gave me from the dumpster. The owner comes up to me and says, ya know you're the only crazy guy that changes them impulse lines all the time...I say it should be done.. He says if that thing is worn out then I sell them a new saw....

I learn sumptin new every time I stop by the shop and I thank them, leave a tip, and let them know not all us jerkey customers are jerks.

I'm still pissed off that Husky took my money for the Husky 142e - slapping a choked up cat muffler on a chainsaw that has a carb which cannot hold anything like a proper fuel/air ratio is not proper engineering or design, it's BS. That lots of other manufacturers are still foisting that junk on customers doesn't make it OK. That's what I mean about not trusting manufacturers - they knew they were selling me carp.

Once I put a 141 muffler (with the baffle drilled) and shield on it works great, and I find it to be one of my favorite saws - light, and powerful. The 0.043" narrow kerf MicroLite bar is bound to be weaker than a thicker bar, but you can put any 0.050" LoPro bar on from a Poulan, and I find the MicroLite to cut really fast on that saw. You could even put a 0.325" drive sprocket on it if you want. I have several other saws in that class, but none are faster than the 142.

And the 142 filter is 3 screws to remove the cover and 2 to remove the filter. With the excellent turbo clean setup it doesn't need cleaning very often.

I was impressed with the power of mine, I dont know if the guy modded the muffler or something was missing, but it was loud and cut fast, right away i thought maybe i should switch to huskies, but the more i used it the more i liked my Stihls. I dont like the way it starts either fires up on full choke and full throttle and srceams!! that and the exhaust comes straight out the front and starts logs on fire. and the chain comes off all the time. really a piece of junk.

if your gonna run one bring a flat head screwdiver,pliers,wrench, and torks driver for the aircleaner,and plug wrench with you, heck you might as well bring a tool box,,, and a sledge hammer for when you get sick of it!!

I think it is much deeper than brand. You can look at something so simple as just a brand and get depth out of that. Everyone likes one brand a little better than the next. They have reason for it. I like stihl saws but I'm not closed off to husky or other brands. I happen to respect other brands. For me it's what is time tested in the field and preference. I'm not going to scream stihl is the best because I don't know. I like others saws out there other than stihl. I happen to like a little bit bulkier and heavier saw. Others don't like that in there saws. One brand does not build the best saw in every class. We Are loyal to what we know and what works. If it is one brand then yes. Where I'm from stihl is the big dealer. There everywhere and parts can be found very easy. I make my living with my saws so down time is not good for any of my saws. But I do own others brands. I just know I can't run to town and pick a part up any time of the day.

I was impressed with the power of mine, I dont know if the guy modded the muffler or something was missing, but it was loud and cut fast, right away i thought maybe i should switch to huskies, but the more i used it the more i liked my Stihls. I dont like the way it starts either fires up on full choke and full throttle and srceams!! that and the exhaust comes straight out the front and starts logs on fire. and the chain comes off all the time. really a piece of junk.

if your gonna run one bring a flat head screwdiver,pliers,wrench, and torks driver for the aircleaner,and plug wrench with you, heck you might as well bring a tool box,,, and a sledge hammer for when you get sick of it!!
Someone boogered it then, as the exhaust should not come out the front. Mine pops cold on the 5th pull with choke, starts on the 6th just as they say it should, revs on fast idle until I hit the throttle - just like every saw.

When warm it starts first pull every time, even after sitting quite a while. The only thing that ever failed on it was a clutch spring, which I replaced with one from a Wild Thing clutch.

It's cool if it's not to your taste, but you probably shouldn't judge them based on one hacked sample.

Someone boogered it then, as the exhaust should not come out the front. Mine pops cold on the 5th pull with choke, starts on the 6th just as they say it should, revs on fast idle until I hit the throttle - just like every saw.

When warm it starts first pull every time, even after sitting quite a while. The only thing that ever failed on it was a clutch spring, which I replaced with one from a Wild Thing clutch.

It's cool if it's not to your taste, but you probably shouldn't judge them based on one hacked sample.

with a thicker bar and some spikes i could deal with the rest. I think there is holes for spikes. I am just used to them being there on Stihls. Its nice to have a little leverage

you are right about it starting good warm, I used it alot on a ladder cause she would start good , no choke or anything

Last edited:
Loyal VS Logic........

Now logic....... everyone on this site is a "chainsaw Expert" they know which saw it the fastest,best handeling,looks the best, sounds the best, balances the best....

Not me!

I don't claim to be an expert, I just know what I like, even if it flys in the face of the "logic" of some haters here. :hmm3grin2orange:

Back