Brand new MS261 woes.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that you have run both the 271 and 261, how would you compare the two?

Actually, my old saw was a 270 so my mistake in my first post, but too early to say. I've only put 2 tanks through the 261 but initial impressions are that it holds it's RPM in the cut a little better even though it's not broken in yet. I expect a noticeable difference once it "wakes up." Guy at the dealer seemed confused why I was trading a 270 for a 261; said it was basically the same saw. I didn't argue with him - he obviously doesn't read AS :laugh:

Actually, my old saw was a 270 so my mistake in my first post, but too early to say. I've only put 2 tanks through the 261 but initial impressions are that it holds it's RPM in the cut a little better even though it's not broken in yet. I expect a noticeable difference once it "wakes up." Guy at the dealer seemed confused why I was trading a 270 for a 261; said it was basically the same saw. I didn't argue with him - he obviously doesn't read AS :laugh:

I,ve run 10 tanks thru my 271 since Sandy and the saw has been great. I would like to know what I am missing not having a 261

I,ve run 10 tanks thru my 271 since Sandy and the saw has been great. I would like to know what I am missing not having a 261

My MS270 was 3-4 years old so it was well broken in - maybe a hundred tanks through it, don't really know. I started cutting firewood for heating last year. Before that I cut storm damage and the odd tree I wanted removed, so I'm cutting a lot more now. The 270 cut well for what I do and I don't really need the 261, but he!!, you only go around once and I just wanted to add a true pro saw to my small lineup. Since I won't have the 270 to run side-by-side with the 261 once it's broken in, it will be a very subjective evaluation for me.

Wish I had the 261 when I cut up this storm-downed red oak two weeks ago. I limbed it up with the 270, then bucked it with the 555. I can tell you when I ran out of fuel in the Husky 555 half way through a large piece, I finished the cut with the 270 and the difference in power was very noticeable. If I can set up a similar situation with the 555/261, it will tell me if the 261 is noticeably faster than the 270.

Back