Brave New World

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"They rally 'round your family, with a crummy full of stihl's
-Bitz on parade

Hang in there Bitz, there's always the chainsaw forum!

Hey @KiwiBro: There's a couple of folks at camp this week. They aren't banned, just camping. They are there because they broke the rules multiple times and continued even after being warned. And being one of them enforced the rules in the past, he knew darn well what he was doing was wrong from the start.

If you have a problem with someone making personal attacks, just click that little word that says "report" at the bottom of the post. The mods will be happy to take care of it. We've received many unsolicited PM's asking us to break up the three way "peeing contest" that this forum in particular has had to deal with. And steps have been taken to deal with it.

Darin and Jen have made it clear that everyone is welcome here as long as they can act like an adult. Up to and including Brush Ape.

Hey @KiwiBro: If you have a problem with someone making personal attacks, just click that little word that says "report" at the bottom of the post.
Thanks for this and I want to point out that generally, the moderation on this site is far better than many other sites, but if you get to the point of relying upon experienced loggers, distinct from the snivelling general populous, to hit the 'snitch' button rather than stay motivated to provide their experiences or even just chat about more than which oil, whether their firewood stack looks big in that picture, or shaving .8765442309 seconds off a cookie cut with the latest mod, you've let it get far too far out of line. I can't vouch for others but when I see untold niggling BS by antagonists amounting to a virtual campaign of disrespect, that goes unchallenged by moderators over a long time, and people faced with grassing or walking, then I can certainly see why they'd choose the latter, and this site, which already struggles to stay 'up', would be poorer if they did.

I agree that some of the topics on here are minutiae at best. And I agree that the site has lost good folks over the years for various reasons. At the same point we aren't going to let certain members operate above the rules because of their experience level (whether actual or perceived). Although there may have been special treatment of certain members in the past I can promise there will not be as long as this group of mods are around.

And again I'll reiterate: If someone comes in here and is blatantly trying to stir the crap just report the post and move on. Don't even give them the attention/validation they are looking for.

Thanks for this and I want to point out that generally, the moderation on this site is far better than many other sites, but if you get to the point of relying upon experienced loggers, distinct from the snivelling general populous, to hit the 'snitch' button rather than stay motivated to provide their experiences or even just chat about more than which oil, whether their firewood stack looks big in that picture, or shaving .8765442309 seconds off a cookie cut with the latest mod, you've let it get far too far out of line. I can't vouch for others but when I see untold niggling BS by antagonists amounting to a virtual campaign of disrespect, that goes unchallenged by moderators over a long time, and people faced with grassing or walking, then I can certainly see why they'd choose the latter, and this site, which already struggles to stay 'up', would be poorer if they did.

I guess I dont see your point because from my point of view most arguments are based on opinions not facts. "They" non logers are entitled to exist and eat pie too. Thats why the forum has different sections to it, not everyone is alike and some times you will get one that wanders into your lion den and pokes at you. But we have to coexist and not batter eachother.
We agreed to take on the mod title to help the site grow, not to weed out misfits or trouble makers but there is a line in which it does need to happen. Im pretty lenient about things and always open minded but there has to be a line in the sand somewhere... what if any do you propose we do different?

Reactions: svk
So you can't tell the truth around here? Where is the line? Again what do you call it when the assassins accuse the assassin? You just going to keep deleting me? I suppose I should just slink into the shadows quietly. Delete the whole thread and all will be forgotten. Delete the F&L section entirely. You are doing it slowly already.

I should have been a pair of ragged claws scuttling across floors of silent seas.

If you are able to put up a post without profanity and does not violate any other forum rules then it can stay up. It's that simple.

Its not my fault the site doesn't block certain words. I type in what I want and it auto blocks it right? I didn't use any fancy spelling and this isn't church. Is it a rule to not talk about why real loggers have been driven away while insatiable jerks like whitespider can continually harrass for days on end while no one does anything? The line in the sand is drawn by those that hold the stick.

First of all you shouldn't be writing those words whether or not the censor catches them.

Secondly nobody is driving away any subset of this forum.

Finally as I have stated multiple times all you need to do with a post that could be construed as trolling is to hit "report". In the time I've been a mod I've yet to see a WS post flagged in any forum within this site.

There are only a handful of mods on here and we do not read every post. We respond to and monitor threads that are reported to us. If you have a problem with something or someone on the site it's very simple to alert the staff and if they are in violation we will take measures to resolve things per the site rules.

... I feel like you two were involved in a conversation about cutting a tree a few months ago that I had to comment on because I felt like informing the poster about a better way. I don't remember the details, but I do remember your names.
I doubt it, I make limited advice on cutting. I'm no expert on falling, I know just enough to be dangerous.

You guys are top shelf. Keep up the good work. I think I've made my point or at least the point I was allowed to make.

Cool points to anyone who can guess the author of my random qoutes! No they are not mine. I have plenty of my own. I just felt his applied in this situation. No cheating either!

Its not my fault the site doesn't block certain words. I type in what I want and it auto blocks it right? I didn't use any fancy spelling and this isn't church. Is it a rule to not talk about why real loggers have been driven away while insatiable jerks like whitespider can continually harrass for days on end while no one does anything? The line in the sand is drawn by those that hold the stick.

Well said. I hope they quit deleting your posts.
There have been a lot of good loggers on here who got tired of the ankle biters, weekend warriors, and wannabes.
It's not their presense we object to, most of us have gone out of our way to make a real attempt to answer honest questions, give advice when it was asked for and to share what we know.
What we find objectionable are people who come to the F&L threads for no other reason than to annoy us.
We're not choir boys and this isn't Cub Scouts. If somebody asks our advice and then argues with us he gets slammed, pure and simple. Most of us will take the time to help somebody but we won't suffer fools.
If people's tender little feelings are wounded by what they read here maybe they'd be better off some place else.
Some of the best loggers I know have left AS, discouraged and disgusted. Some of them were good friends of mine, people I've worked with, and their contributions here were valuable.
I thought about leaving too but I've changed my mind. If you want to ban me for telling the truth go right ahead.
But Bitzer is right and you guys need to listen to him. Soon.

"Depth of face cut". Started March 5. Firewood section. Most of what you guys said was cool. I remember you in a worse light for some reason.

In all seriousness I'd certainly be interested to see a list of folks who have been "driven away" from this site and then cross reference it with their postings/conduct while on the site. Feel free to PM me on this subject and we can have a discussion. I've been around here for a decent amount of time and I've yet to see someone discouraged from the site without it having something to do with them breaking rules.

In all seriousness I'd certainly be interested to see a list of folks who have been "driven away" from this site and then cross reference it with their postings/conduct while on the site. Feel free to PM me on this subject and we can have a discussion. I've been around here for a decent amount of time and I've yet to see someone discouraged from the site without it having something to do with them breaking rules.
I wish I had the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back