Brave New World

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i have no clue what is going on.........i will be pizzed if you boys leave for some thing stupid. i havn't said this in open forums but if i could get this site to load right and not take forever i would offer to mod.

i don't even know if this post will post, if it does and i can't get back on, you all know where to find me. if you two Bobs do leave, find a way to keep in touch.

Start on page one of falling pics and read to present and you will find them all.
Really??? Come on now....lots of folks have moved on for various reasons. I'm asking for specific examples of folks who have been "driven away" as you have stated.

You guys are top shelf. Keep up the good work. I think I've made my point or at least the point I was allowed to make.
Agree.
Cool points to anyone who can guess the author of my random qoutes! No they are not mine. I have plenty of my own. I just felt his applied in this situation. No cheating either!
T.S. Eliot

Really??? Come on now....lots of folks have moved on for various reasons. I'm asking for specific examples of folks who have been "driven away" as you have stated.

Hey, do your own research. Put in for some overtime. :rolleyes:
Read through Burvol's falling thread, read every post. You'll see some good loggers, people who know their trade, who aren't here any more. The reasons might not jump out at you but, then again, you're not a logger and the reasons might not be clear to you. They might not have made a big deal of it when they left but they were tired of the wannabes and people arguing with their advice. They chose not to make a fuss when they left but in PMs and in personal conversations they were very clear that they'd had enough.
We had a guy on here for awhile, NW Axeman, who was probably one of the best known fallers in the PNW. He's the guy they go to when there's a problem tree or any other tough piece of work. He spent a lot of time helping people on AS and put up with the arguments from people who wouldn't last ten minutes in his line of work. He had enough and withdrew.
Coastalfaller was another good one. He'd offer his opinions on different situations and those of us who know logging would listen. Those who didn't know logging would question his advice and deride his knowledge. He left, too.
There are others who just quietly gave up on this place and don't post any more. That's a loss to AS.

It's too bad when any good contributor leaves. But leaving because people argue with you is a lot different than being chased away as bitzer is saying.

I've been here a short 6 years and I'd say the whole place has turned over a solid three times. Sure there are folks who have been here longer but those are fewer and further between. It seems like the average forum member stays on a site 2-3 years. That's just the way it goes.

See...you're doing the same thing the ankle biters do. You're arguing with good advice.
No I am not. I asked for specific examples of who and why. I didn't ask to be referred to an old thread. He didn't give advice. He made a broad brush statement and then won't back it up with examples.

First of all you shouldn't be writing those words whether or not the censor catches them.

Secondly nobody is driving away any subset of this forum.

Finally as I have stated multiple times all you need to do with a post that could be construed as trolling is to hit "report". In the time I've been a mod I've yet to see a WS post flagged in any forum within this site.

There are only a handful of mods on here and we do not read every post. We respond to and monitor threads that are reported to us. If you have a problem with something or someone on the site it's very simple to alert the staff and if they are in violation we will take measures to resolve things per the site rules.

I beg to differ here. I have been violated twice for profanity. The first time I used asterisks where a cuss word would have been. I was warned to not to try to fool the sensor, just type the word and the sensor will change my word to asterisks. The second time I typed in the word and the sensor didn't catch it because I used the plural form. I was warned to not to try to fool the sensor. WFT? I did exactly what you told me to do. I have never seen a list of words the sensor will correct but I am supposed to know them. Typing a word in the plural form was no attempt to sneak a word in.

BTW I was also violated twice for harassing a fellow member. The first was HBRN a few days before he was banned for good. The second time I called out a fellow member who is still here for BSing. He was. And he still does but when he shows up with yet another story I don't say anything. I don't have to, other ASers hammer him pretty good without me.

I beg to differ here. I have been violated twice for profanity. The first time I used asterisks where a cuss word would have been. I was warned to not to try to fool the sensor, just type the word and the sensor will change my word to asterisks. The second time I typed in the word and the sensor didn't catch it because I used the plural form. I was warned to not to try to fool the sensor. WFT? I did exactly what you told me to do. I have never seen a list of words the sensor will correct but I am supposed to know them. Typing a word in the plural form was no attempt to sneak a word in.

BTW I was also violated twice for harassing a fellow member. The first was HBRN a few days before he was banned for good. The second time I called out a fellow member who is still here for BSing. He was. And he still does but when he shows up with yet another story I don't say anything. I don't have to, other ASers hammer him pretty good without me.
Your "record" shows a total of two violations in 8 years. I'd say you just about qualify for a citizenship award.

Now it's possible that you may have had a post or two deleted. That stuff happens especially when people get caught up in a thread that is spiraling out of control. But that's akin to having the highway patrol flash their lights at you when you are driving a little too fast.

And again with profanity just don't write it. Plain and simple. What's wrong with darn, blasted, flippin, jerk, or moron in place of those other words?

[QUOTE="svk, post: 5389614, member: 41967

And again with profanity just don't write it. Plain and simple. What's wrong with darn, blasted, flippin, jerk, or moron in place of those other words?[/QUOTE]

We are not ten tears old.

We are not ten tears old.
And therefore you are capable of following the rules.

We've bantered back and forth for an entire day here because people didn't follow the rules then cried foul when they were called to the carpet.

I'm pretty much done with this argument. If you take exception to the site rules you are welcome to send a PM to Darin or Mrs A with your case and suggestions for modifications.

If you have a problem with someone making personal attacks, just click that little word that says "report" at the bottom of the post. The mods will be happy to take care of it.

Most of us would prefer to deal with personal attacks on a personal basis. Running to the mods like a wimpy little kid who got bullied on the playground isn't really the way we're used to dealing with problems.

Most of us would prefer to deal with personal attacks on a personal basis. Running to the mods like a wimpy little kid who got bullied on the playground isn't really the way we're used to dealing with problems.
If you choose to deal with a personal attack by launching another personal attack you are just as wrong as the person who started it. Like I told you by PM yesterday, don't feed the troll. By answering him you are going exactly where he wants you to go.

In your everyday life I really don't care how you solve your problems. When you are on this site you are expected to follow the rules that Jen and Darin have created.

Reporting a post isn't being wimpy (unless you are the person instigating and then flag posts when people call you on it). I'd more compare it to flipping the switch in a gas station bathroom that says "please flip this switch if the restroom is in need of service". It's not your job to clean up messes on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back