Broken aluminum ring

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobe

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Friends,

I was just informed that an aluminum ring that we splice into an adjustable friction saver has broken. No one was hurt. Without the broken parts in hand we have yet to conclude whether the ring was abused, defective or of substandard materials, but the worst is to be expected.

All we do know is that the ring WAS NOT MADE or supplied by Buckingham, Petzl or DMM. From a photo that I've seen, the ring appears to match what we have in stock from Kong. If, in the coming weeks it proves out that the ring was defective or of substandard materials there will most likely be a recall issued by the manufacturer.

The ring mentioned is most commonly spliced into our adjustable friction saver (code 33002, 32152) but are also sold alone in two sizes, small and large (26585, 26584). The variety that broke is polished aluminum (silver in color) and without any logo or other markings. This ring also has a faint "casting seam" around the outside edge. http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professional-Gear/Rings/Large-Alum-Ring-828

PLEASE INSPECT life support tools periodically for signs of damage or defect. If you drop (purposefully or by mistake) hardware from height, consider disposing of it permanently as is common in many other life support professions. Hairline cracks in metal can be difficult to detect with the naked eye.

Given the circumstances, and even without a recall, SherrillTree will voluntarily replace any SherrillTree-supplied product having the above-described ring with a more clearly marked and certified variation as soon as they come available. Please mail your polished aluminum ring or ring-attached splice to;

Ring replacement
SherrillTree
200 Seneca Rd.
Greensboro, NC 27406
(please include your return address and telephone number inside the package)

Further details to be posted (within this thread) as soon as available. We sincerely regret any inconvenience or anxiety this is certain to cause.

Tobe Sherrill

I just bought my first friction saver semi localy, not from sherrill. I was looking at the aluminum ones but decided I felt safer with steel, now I know why.

They dont make aluminum tanks for a reason I suppose.

I just bought my first friction saver semi localy, not from sherrill. I was looking at the aluminum ones but decided I felt safer with steel, now I know why.

They dont make aluminum tanks for a reason I suppose.
I agree, aluminum sucks for that purpose, steel would weigh less then an ounce more. But steel is better than aluminum in every way, except wieght.

Strangest thing. I climb only on steel krabs. When I read this I realised my cambium saver has alloy rings. Bolt cutter time.

Thanks for the heads up.

Latest --

We’ve just completed a test to failure of nine small Kong rings and none broke below 6,800 pounds.

Since the broken ring in this incident lacks identification or a rating stamp we are inclined to direct our attention there. In inventory we discovered one Kong box of small rings with no markings (brand or ratings) as we’ve insisted upon from Kong on life safety products. This box was among other Kong boxes of rings that have the marks. Kong is looking into why they shipped unmarked rings (only small as far as we can tell).

NOTE; Kong is not the only manufacturer of aluminum rings for life safety that do not have a printed stamp of brand and strength.

Half of the failed ring has arrived here from the principal in the incident and will be forwarded to an independent lab, followed by the manufacturer in Italy for examination(s).

In the mean time we have pulled from inventory any unmarked rings (including spliced goods containing such) and await the manufacturers response.

Unless the outcome points to lack of concern for quality or outsourcing to an unmonitored manufacturing facility then I’ll retain great respect and trust in Kong products. This company is well respected around the world for a high standard of safety in climbing, paragliding and rescue disciplines, to name but a few. From all that I know and from years of working with their people I will continue to trust my own life to their products.

More as it’s received.

Tobe

Dear friends,

Attached to this post is official notice from SherrillTree recalling an aluminum ring sold for use in life support activities.

Certified notice by US mail along with return packaging is being assembled for distribution in the coming few days.

The rings that Sherrill, Inc. distributes have always been strictly sourced from KONG Bonaiti of Italy based on a high level of confidence in products forged by the manufacturer. It appears that the rings in question were not and, most importantly, did not receive individual testing.

We strongly recommend climbers using polished aluminum rings not sourced from SherrillTree (or Vermeer dealers) and not having strength ratings inscribed, to contact their supplier and push for replacement. There’s great likelyhood that the manufacturer of the ring in question (not Kong) exports directly or indirectly to several other arborist suppliers.

(Known arborist manufacturers NOT distributing this ring include Petzl, Buckingham and Komet.)

With best regards,

Tobe Sherrill

Last edited by a moderator:
Fear not with your Buckingham FS, the rings on this product are rock solid. Please notice that I specifically noted ZERO problems with ANY OTHER aluminum hardware. I haven't even heard of an issue with any of the really cheesy who-knows-where-their-made no brand carabiners out there. Think about it - rings for friction savers are a very small portion of life safety hardware used by climbers. Have you ever once heard of another aluminum product "snapping in two?"

My belief is this ring thing is an anomaly having to do with the forging sources competency in metrology.

At this time, so far as i know, only fire/rescue professionals climb strictly with steel carabiners because of a standard that sites need for 40kN strength if two people will possibly be lifted. A few i spoken with say their system gets heavy "real quickly" when you start adding steel biners.

Dear friends,

We strongly recommend climbers using polished aluminum rings not sourced from SherrillTree ..., to contact their supplier and push for replacement.

Took my rings back, with a copy of the recall, to my local supplier today. Though they still looked fine, they gave me my money back - no questions asked. I immediately bought a large & small pair of steel krabs (DMM) as replacements (yeah, overkill :confused:). Anyway, it was a win-win for both of us. But, SherrillTree has definately moved to the top of my supplier list. Way to "man-up" Sherrill.:clap:

At this time, so far as i know, only fire/rescue professionals climb strictly with steel carabiners because of a standard that sites need for 40kN strength if two people will possibly be lifted. A few i spoken with say their system gets heavy "real quickly" when you start adding steel biners.

I would rather climb 5 pounds heavier and be alive to complain about it...

I agree, hats off to Sherrill. I have always liked Sherrill, and this is just one more reason to respect them.

Back