Broken rear handle on an 044, any repair hints?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipster

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My newly aquired old Stihl 044 came with a broken rear handle,a fairly common occurence from what i'm told.
I dont want to spend the $250-300 AUSD for a genuine stihl replacement part,so thought I would have a go at trying to fix it with epoxy and an aluminum strip.
Anyone have any experience with this type of repair?
Alternatively,if there is a cheap aftermarket replacement part available, that info would help
thanks,skip

Just a couple picts how I have fixed them in the past,

1xNRKl2aYkhW-2d4x-OW4BgrFsf-nP9w9DyrCDP5UA=w298-h222-p-no
wV41wgdiCQ_PMdNG9IhHanNTQ5l0wVLU_sPVVoqGkA=w272-h204-p-no
oje-BZaQ2-x88PgBBEo5bHOw1j7TeIKy_1I9IDOn5A=w272-h204-p-no
j1xxXfiOUdEqoFmT7V-1zmxpEePiiTX1gW4HloYnzw=w631-h473
RTY2BNcwr-NC1L2SNTDuNK_I_QlLgqKzifti0DC0-w=w273-h204-p-no

Back in the day Lakeside posted a really nice how to thread on handle repair. He used some sort of cable and threaded it through some holes he drilled in the plastic then epoxied it. I've done a couple and they have worked out well.

Wow, heck of a markup! I priced one last week at the dealer and it was right around 120$.

Thanks folks,great info.
Excellent pictures Pioneerguy,appreciate you posting them.
The break is right in the corner of the handle,and missing a small piece,so its going to need all the reinforcement i can fit in the bend. The wires and fibreglass ideas are good.

The only aftermarket replacement handles I've seen have flippy caps. So they're really for an MS440, not an 044. I'd cobble it if it were mine.

aftermarket on the 044? I have been looking believe me and the folks who have pictures of the prototypes and advertise them for sale aren't really selling them yet AFAIK
Dave

I'm looking around for the aftermarket 044 tanks. Haven't seen any. I just put a flippy cap on the saw I've been restoring last week. Many like me are in line for the aftermarket 044 tanks especially if they are like the MS260 tanks. My 2 pennies

I have had some luck with plastic welding a piece from a spare broken handle and then grinding and sanding it down. It takes a lot of work and patience but it looks pretty good and has held up well.

There are replacement MS 440 tanks w/flippy caps, but I think they are all OEM. I have not seen any AM handles for the 044/440 or 046/460, but they are available for other saws, and hopefully will be available for these models soon.

My original 044 handle got twisted and torn near the front mounts, so I did not think it was repairable. I just purchased a 440 tank holder. Paid way too much, but the saw is back!

There are replacement MS 440 tanks w/flippy caps, but I think they are all OEM. I have not seen any AM handles for the 044/440 or 046/460, but they are available for other saws, and hopefully will be available for these models soon.

My original 044 handle got twisted and torn near the front mounts, so I did not think it was repairable. I just purchased a 440 tank holder. Paid way too much, but the saw is back!
Interesting that I bought a couple of these AM handles three years ago for the 046, and now they have disappeared. All worked. Not sure why they are no longer available, but I can't find them either.

I followed pioneerguys advice(great photos really helped) and fixed the 044 handle yesterday.
I used two strips of flexible aluminum, one inside the handle as in pioneerguys pics,and the other sitting in a bed of jb weld on top of the first one and continuing around over the break in the handle.
A top coat of JB Weld to blend it in, a couple of rivets holding the whole thing together, then I will sand it all back to a natural contour, undercoat it(Tri-coat sticks to anything) and try and find a paint colour that matches the rest of the handle(just for fun)
Hoping it will be stronger than the weak original!
Thanks for all your help Fellas

Back