bucket truck engine size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeAce

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I sorta have my eye on a F-750 w/foresrty body. 55ft work height w/ altec. Seems like a nice truck and weighs 26k. It says it has a 5.9L Cummins. Isn't that alittle small? I wouldn't be going up to many hills but still thinking with a load of chips it not enough engine. Am I right?

I don't know if its the same as the 5.9L cummins in my dodge or not. My dodge gots 300 hp and 600 ft lbs of torque. The 6.7L cummins in a dodge 3500 are rated for a CGVW of 30,000 lbs

its going to be the same motor as used in dogde trucks. That motor will be plenty powerful for anything you throw at it.

Really? Even in that F750 with a load of chips on her and pulling a modest size chipper? HHmmmmmm.....I like the look of the truck. Now if I can get comfortable with the future of our economy/fuel prices..........N its not my fear of paying for fuel, its how will the general public feel this summer......people may have to tighten up, no extra money when gas is 4.50 a gallon. Or worse. I may wish I hadnt bought it. Anyway...back to topic......so you guys say she "can do" eh?

Really? Even in that F750 with a load of chips on her and pulling a modest size chipper? HHmmmmmm.....I like the look of the truck. Now if I can get comfortable with the future of our economy/fuel prices..........N its not my fear of paying for fuel, its how will the general public feel this summer......people may have to tighten up, no extra money when gas is 4.50 a gallon. Or worse. I may wish I hadnt bought it. Anyway...back to topic......so you guys say she "can do" eh?

you WONT find a truck with a bigger engine unless you built one new to what you want. the cummins is all you need .

That should be enough engine for you. I have a Dodge 3500 with the 5.9 Cummins that I use to haul firewood for my firewood business. I haul the wood 104 miles in pretty hilly terrain. My truck, trailer, and the load are grossing right at 30,000#. I have plenty of power to handle that load at typical highway speeds. On some steep hills, I do have to drop from 6th to 5th gear, but never lower than that.
Jeff

1 of my bucket trucks has the 5.9L in it. Ive pulled a skid steer behind it with a load of chips.Steep hills I was rowing gears but it pulls it fine.

5.9l will be plenty power full and if you want more power theres a million ways to get more power out of a 5.9l one of my buddies has a pulling truck and is over 850hp in a 5.9l little over done but any way you wont be let down with the little cummins

5.9l will be plenty power full and if you want more power theres a million ways to get more power out of a 5.9l one of my buddies has a pulling truck and is over 850hp in a 5.9l little over done but any way you wont be let down with the little cummins

A 5.9 at 850 hp will hold together for about 300 feet,(full pull).

5.9 is a great engine in stock form. The new 6.7 will out pull them with a little more torque from the longer stroke. There's a lot of guys pushing the limits of those engines and 850hp is less than half of what some of them put out.

5.9 is a great engine in stock form. The new 6.7 will out pull them with a little more torque from the longer stroke. There's a lot of guys pushing the limits of those engines and 850hp is less than half of what some of them put out.

there are some big numbers coming out of 5.9's but they don't resemble the what they started out as. billet crank, and heads, 1" girdle plate to hold the bottom end together, water injection, huge rpms.

i never said they hold to geather very long at 850 hp but hey as long as they get the full 300 feet there good haha

Latest posts

Back