Bucket trucks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanopyGorilla

climber....sawyer
Reaction score
I'm at a crossroads. After two summers of business I'm trying to decide weather to become a bucket company or just stick with 100% climbing. There are 2 of us and we are both good climbers. Not competition fast or anything but decent production speed. At this point we are busy enough that we need to be getting through jobs faster. I'm just trying to figure out if a bucket would be the most profitable investment.

I was planning on spending around $40k and getting a decent one that's not falling apart. What kind of average operating costs are most of you seeing with not a junker and not a newer $90k rig?

$40k is a good number. You're not going to get a rear mount or elevator for that but you'll get a forestry package in decent condition as long as it's a private sale. Any dealer with jam u up.

If that truck sits idle you only pay insurance and property taxes for it. Having it at a job will dramatically increase your profitability. Especially in a storm scenario.
Servicing the bucket is just like other trucks. Grease, oil, filters and lube. Just more of them. I would advise to go with a cdl truck if you can. They last longer and usually are cheaper.
Ultimately the choice is up to you.

I just bought a used bucket truck this summer. I still climb a fair bit, (ok, a lot) but if you can get the truck to the tree, you can take it down 2-3 times faster. You may need and extra ground guy (or two) to be able to process the volume and speed of the material coming down.
You will find that a 3 person crew can work twice as fast as a 2 person crew, regardless of weather your climbing or using the bucket.
Is it worth it? To me, YES!!!!! I bought a very good truck at a great price. Your extra profits should far exceed what it is costing you to run it (as long as you don't make a bad purchased and buy what ends up as a money pit).
I find that your shoulders are a little more sore at the end of a day using the bucket, but the rest of your body will be thanking you. And that's a long term investment that most don't factor in.

Here's mine
8db9c1541661459c8d45b6ecdb36f25b.jpg

18c9ed09edecfb7e66e15330f1b58379.jpg
53a859227d0be1eef7f45697bd98d33a.jpg

But what are your extra costs per day. In other words, what is your improvement in daily profits?

Costs will vary depending on how much your "used" truck was used and abused and if it breaks down or not.

My truck cost very little to safety ($800) the boom inspection and dielectric was a little less, but it too required very little. Insurance and licensing vary from each individual and also region, but figures for you and your area are easy to obtain.

My daily operating costs?.... If my 1 ton chip truck uses say $25 in fuel, the bucket truck will use $60.... but it's running all day.

I'm at a crossroads. After two summers of business I'm trying to decide weather to become a bucket company or just stick with 100% climbing. There are 2 of us and we are both good climbers. Not competition fast or anything but decent production speed. At this point we are busy enough that we need to be getting through jobs faster. I'm just trying to figure out if a bucket would be the most profitable investment.

Come on man, if you can afford to buy a bucket then buy it. Why do you think that if you own a bucket, you are a 'bucket company? Really?
Park your bucket and climb if you need,,,better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Jeff :dancing:

Come on man, if you can afford to buy a bucket then buy it. Why do you think that if you own a bucket, you are a 'bucket company? Really?
Park your bucket and climb if you need,,,better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Jeff :dancing:

Exactly. I wouldn't even open the doors Monday without at least one 60ft truck ready to go.

Do you own a chip truck? I don't, but my bucket truck has a chip box on it. I say we use the bucket maybe 4-6 times a month, but only because a lot of scenarios it's easier to back the chipper to the tree and climb it. Keep the groundies able and willing. On the other hand we do a lot of street trees that are in the $400-$800 range. Climbing would take 2-4 hrs, bucket is 30-45 minutes. Pays for itself every day whether I use the bucket or not. Also get a truck with a pony motor and you will use a fraction of the fuel. My 2 cents

Back