Build more fence or move to the country? A**hat neighbors...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good fences make good neighbors.....I'm a big believer. My current neighbors started out as a pain in the a$$. They complained my wood stacks looked like crap from their breakfast nook, hated the noise of my splitter when they would sit outside on their patio, etc. they asked me for some wood for their firepit and turned up their noses when I offered some broken up pallets. It wasn't until after I helped the husband cut up a large pine that he dropped within INCHES of their house that they took a better approach to things. He was using a 14" craftsman on a 22" diameter tree, and I break out the ms310 with a 20" bar and start ripping!! We split and stacked the wood so he could use it for his pit.
Now he helps me split occasionally and steers free wood my way. I'm lucky, it could be alot worse.

Dave

I'm liking the fence idea more and more. 65-75' would do it between us and them. I love stacking wood along a property line fence.

I know from some of their comments they think wood attracts pests.. ignorant they are. I would agree if it was a pile laying on the ground but not seasoned firewood neatly stacked off the ground. A nice row along a 6' high privacy fence would put that "pest attracting" firewood with in feet of their structures but out of view.:laugh:

Also interesting point about stacked firewood looking like crap to some people, I'm sure they are in that camp.
She however has her entire yard grossly over populated with tacky lawn ornaments, hundreds of solar lights, x-mas lights, it goes on and on, almost at the hoarder level but still neat. Do I call her up and complain about that? nope.

Good fences make good neighbors.....I'm a big believer. My current neighbors started out as a pain in the a$$. They complained my wood stacks looked like crap from their breakfast nook, hated the noise of my splitter when they would sit outside on their patio, etc. they asked me for some wood for their firepit and turned up their noses when I offered some broken up pallets. It wasn't until after I helped the husband cut up a large pine that he dropped within INCHES of their house that they took a better approach to things. He was using a 14" craftsman on a 22" diameter tree, and I break out the ms310 with a 20" bar and start ripping!! We split and stacked the wood so he could use it for his pit.
Now he helps me split occasionally and steers free wood my way. I'm lucky, it could be alot worse.

Dave

Last edited:
check your laws. if you and your neighbor have been maintaining that alley way it may belong to the 2 of you. im not sure what that is called or how many years you have to maintain it.

It wasn't until after I helped the husband cut up a large pine that he dropped within INCHES of their house that they took a better approach to things. He was using a 14" craftsman on a 22" diameter tree, and I break out the ms310 with a 20" bar and start ripping!! We split and stacked the wood so he could use it for his pit.

Dave

Funny they would bee-eye-t-c-h about your operation then ask for free firewood.
Kill them with kindness. Sometimes that's the best avenue to take.

Don't do a privacy fence. Use chain link, better air flow to season the 7 ft high 75ft stack of firewood privacy fence.

Jerry, the terms you are looking for is a Prescriptive Right of Way, here in Florida, at least when you define the circumstances you and others have mentioned in this thread about using and maintaining someone elses (absent) land. It akin to Squatting, which is how a lot of underdeveloped countries still operate.

This is not an undeveloped country.

I stand by my original advice- You should know more than she does by educating yourself. You can get a fair bit of info right from your own civil servants, and probably not even speak with them in person or visit them at city hall. I have to hunt for a website that will let you search the municipal code, if I find it I will pass it on to you. It has had info in ever place I have ever looked, but I can't guarantee your state or town is a part of it. I believe it may. Even if you find the local code, it can be hard to read and interpret, for sure. I don't trust the Clerk at City Hall to know, and she won't be making a decision on a ruling, anyway. You need to know what the law is, and be prepared to have someone argue it for YOU. This is not a DIY thing.

Now to piss off a bunch of well meaning posters here.

All of you with advice who are actually lawyers, stand up. Of all of you standing, if you don't specialize in Real Law (that's Real Estate, and Family) sit back down. For the rest still standing, if you aren't licensed by the Minnesota State Bar Association, sit down.

With all these guys that are left standing up, you have lots of solid advice, don't you?

Practicing law without a license is actionable.

Sure with some of the stupid redneck manly-man empty threats you've gotten, there has been some sage advice that is realistic.

I work for the government, and I have to take peoples land with eminent domain constantly. In another career, I've been dragged into pissing matches over neighbors fighting over property lines as a business owner providing service, and even further with a different (simultaneous career) with a different govt agency, I've been in the middle of fights between the ADA, the US Fish and Game Comm, the DEP, the FFWCC and the Endangered Species Act. Years have past and there still isn't a solution, You know who's winning? The Lawyers.

If a consultation with a Real Law Attorney in the next town over (NEXT TOWN OVER) costs you 50-100 bucks, its worth it.

(That AC condenser and fence would have to go, period, thats YOUR land. The quarry land? The Quarry owner aint vacating it. The City alley may be vacated if the City wants to, but I find generally if has to be their idea, and since there doesn't seem to be a compelling reason, I doubt they will. Its not quick or cheap when they have so much work to do internally to get it done. Not to mention, any objections from anyone will make them back up from proceding, not worth anything to them. If I was a town official, I wouldn't entertain the request to vacate the alley)

I can tell ya if the busy body tried to tell me what I could do on my property she better have city ordinance to back t up. Without that, as a penalty for her nosiness, I would force her to move her items at HER expense. I would also secure a lease of some sort to protect my interest on quarry property. Anyone could go after your stash at this point. You left it there. At least that is how it would work here in Southwest Louisiana. If I felt strongly enough about it I would remove her items and return them to her. I think I could do that and prove I was doing it as a favor and saving her the expense and inconvenience. Dude! whats yours is YOURS.

actually i believe its called "adverse condemnation" not "imminent domain"

LOL

Eminent domain (same as condemnation or direct condemnation) is when government sues to take property from an owner, but the government is normally required to pay some sort of compensation.

Inverse condemnation is the reversal of legal rolls by the property owner and government. The property owner sues the government for compensation he believes due him. Probably the most common example would be when government re-zones an area which reduces the value of property or prevents the owner from using it. The owner can then try suing for compensation for the loss of value.

Adverse possession is what we’re talking about here. There are many types and degrees of adverse possession with the so-called squatter's rights being the most commonly known. Usually adverse possession cannot be claimed just because you’ve used a piece of property for a given length of time… normally (varies by jurisdiction) the squatter must prove he has solely occupied the property, has used and maintained it as if it was his own property, and has not allowed any use by others (and often he must prove the rightful owner has abandoned it)… simply having an A/C unit sitting on it won’t be enough in most jurisdictions. I don’t believe it can apply to government (publically) owned property such as an alley way… but I’m not 100% on that.

And GeeVee, I ain’t pretending to be a lawyer… but I am giving good sound advice when I tell him to clean-up-his-act (in a manner of speaking) before he hits civil court.

Addendum: And by-the-way, the fence could be much more easily claimed as adverse possession because she has locked-out even the rightful owner (has not allowed any use by others).
Just sayin'

Last edited:
SpideyWhitey, Nope, you're not, but in all reality, you'd have to be practicing in MN to know what laws to argue anyhow....

A man who chooses to represent himself has a fool for a client.

I agree, move your stuff, and then have her move hers.

You gotta look at your choices. Wanna give a little take a little? Great, Wanna fight, be prepared to fight for the rest of your lives....

I just laid out $1850 for a lot survey and staking because my 90 year old neighbor keeps putting a stake in my yard. I asked him to quit it, called the sheriff, he asked hjm to quit it, but if I cant show the lot lines,I cant do ####. If anything of his is on my property, I will sue him in small claims for the survey costs. His outhouse and drive are close to the line, I say probably on my property

I selected Woodbury, MN. Then I found Chapter 20.89, and right below it is 20-90 and 20-91. Just for an example of whats available, and you didn't have to stir up any trouble in a one horse town, know what I mean?

Educate yourself first, then decide if you want to clean up your own stuff and visit a Counselor of Law. I'd go to MUNICODE first, just so I can sniff out a shyster lawyer before he envisions me shelling out ballet lessons for his daughter....

It also helps get more out of your hour consultation fee if you get right to the point, otherwise you can get churned. Walk in Fat, Dumb and Happy and you'll get churned.

LOL
i]Adverse possession[/i] is what we’re talking about here....

that was what i was trying to come up with. been years since i've been involved with something like that. btw, i'm not an attorney either; just a former municpal engineer who was involved in a large number of acquisitions for federal/city projects.
but, i did stay at a holiday inn couple years ago.

Then you ought to be able to benefit from the MUNICODE too Doob-

A half decent lawyer will get you the costs and his fees too.

Surveyors are great sources of information- usually know a lot of history in the area and gossip and whatnot, but TERRIBLE Lawyers, therefore sometimes BAD information. Kind of squirrely group too, a little retentive most of the time.

that was what i was trying to come up with. been years since i've been involved with something like that. btw, i'm not an attorney either; just a former municpal engineer who was involved in a large number of acquisitions for federal/city projects.
but, i did stay at a holiday inn couple years ago.

I have a coffee cup I keep in my office from a Holiday Inn, just for the opportunity to use that saying.

You should put it in your Signature.

Then you ought to be able to benefit from the MUNICODE too Doob-

A half decent lawyer will get you the costs and his fees too.

Surveyors are great sources of information- usually know a lot of history in the area and gossip and whatnot, but TERRIBLE Lawyers, therefore sometimes BAD information. Kind of squirrely group too, a little retentive most of the time.

I wanted to be present when the techs were out there, then the estimate was for time and materials, prolly be more. They really didn't want my input. So I took $1850 total and they will call when its done. This week or next week. I kinda worry the neighbor will mess with the markers before I see them...

...i did stay at a holiday inn couple years ago.

LMAO
I can one-up ya'... no, I can two-up ya'.
  1. My Sister-in-Law is a lawyer.
  2. My family has been in a twenty-some-year fight with the neighbor at the lake home... property lines, property rights, easements, right-of-way, turn-around rights, buildings too close to the property line, pets, lake shore use, and I can't remember what all. Dad and/or we have been in civil court at least a dozen times with this dork (dad"s pretty bull-headed himself) over the last twenty years. And... and... the lake home is... guess where now... yep... in Minnesota! So I at least have some experience with Minnesota "Real" law and civil courts. (Still not claiming to be any sort of expert though.)

Naa, na, na, na, na, naa!

I wanted to be present when the techs were out there, then the estimate was for time and materials, prolly be more. They really didn't want my input. So I took $1850 total and they will call when its done. This week or next week. I kinda worry the neighbor will mess with the markers before I see them...

If so, check with a lawyer as this may be a crime. Your surveyor can probably quote you the statute if Wisconsin has one. Ron

Well the discussion that was supposed to take place never happened, they are no where to be found. I did move the end of the wood stack about 2' back from their imaginary property line, mainly because I didn't want to chance it falling on their cheap wire mesh fence.

I'm not going to let the encroachment issues slide however, but I suspect they will lay low for a while now.

Back